Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster 1200r Tire Survey

30K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 · (Edited)
Just burned through my first set of SuperCorsa's that came with my 2017 Monster 1200R,

What tires are all you Monster 1200 owners using?
What do you guys recommend for canyon carving?

Don't want to spend over 400 dollars every 2k miles for SuperCorsas!!

#2 ·
lol. Had to check this one out bc I knew that short mileage was coming lol.
This will raise a lot of hairs, and I can only say so much bc I traded mine shortly after, but .. here goes.. after going through my pirellis in 3k on my 796 (I know, less weight, less power) I went to the Road 4s and got 9k. Didn't love them, or the cost, so went with a new.. drum roll.. Shinko.
Price and durability was important considering I do about 1000mi/ mo. I got the Verge 2 front and back and it took 100 miles to love them, but after that... Man! So much sportier feel over the Road 4's (I know, ST tire). The Verge 2 was a dual compound as well, so was hoping the mileage was going to hold as long as the 4's maybe, but even if it was a little shy for the feel, I would have been happy.
How did they feel? Man! Those things wanted to live on their side! In a good way B-) The transition was really steep that first 100 miles on the front tire, so I weaved a lot to help flatten it. Probably about 50 - 75mi I was thinking it felt much better. By 100, I was loving it. Transition was smooth, rolled in nicely, and felt planted, superbly. Anyway, obviously I liked it and it's what I'm looking forward to trying again when I wear these stock ones out again on my new 1200. My .02.

Reactions: sushifly
#6 ·
The PR4's were a comfortable tire. This was all on a 796, so may be different on the 1200 which I have now too (not the road 4's). I got 9k out of mine on the smaller, less powerful 796, which was disappointing considering that I heard numbers like 12k. But.. I do like to get into the twisties in north GA and find twisty roads around me at lunch too. Trustworthy in the wet, and aggressive enough for the twisties. Had no problem getting on their sides. Had maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips on mine after aggressive riding, and this was my first "sporty" bike. Had to monitor air pressure on mine. Honestly, I need to test more tires to compare, but grip never let me down until near the end. Definitely started getting less trustworthy for the last 1000 miles, slipped a couple times in the wet in places where it shocked me. Was more conscious during this time, and drove the car more on wet days than I would have otherwise, until I replaced them.
I didn't like them over tar snakes, which I have a lot of on my commute. I was subconsciously aware of this, but after I switched to the Shinko Verge 2 which was completely unaffected by tar snakes, even when wet, I realized that had been a relatively conscious issue with the 4's bc I was always extra careful on them, especially when wet. I would think this would be more pronounced on a heavier, more powerful bike, but you'll have to report back.
Personally, I'm anxious to get the verge 2 on the 1200. It was much more agressive than the PR4's and should get much better mileage than the stock Pirellis as as well, as it's also a dual compound tire.
None of this is to say the PR4's weren't a great tire, they were, but like anything else, there were pros and cons, and for the price, you expect them to be perfect from beginning to end lol.

#7 · (Edited)
I like the Supercorsa's but not for the Monster 1200R as they’re overkill for my use. Notwithstanding, I just bought a set for the 959 Panigale to replace the OEM Rosso Corsas which are a better match as I will not put as many street miles on it.
When the Monster's Supercorsa's wear out (in a few months or sooner based on @sushifly and @advan031 mileage), I'm considering replacing them with a pair of Diablo Rosso III or the new Michelin Power RS as choices are limited for size: Rear 200/55 ZR 17

#13 ·
After I got a nail in the original rear tire I put a Bridgestone BT-016 on the bike. Sticks well in corners and works well in the rain, something that has become more useful since Ontario started getting rain in biblical proportions! :smile

Reactions: B0427
#14 ·
#18 ·
I thought the SC's were pretty good in the rain. Of course, compared to the friggin' hockey puck-hard Dunlops on my Harley, anything is better in the rain! There's a reason people get 18,000 miles out of those things on a 1000 lb motorcycle!

If you have cornering ABS and TC does that mean you can just run the hardest tire you can and then let the bike figure out the rest? :wink Wouldn't that be awesome! :smile

#24 · (Edited)
I don't get it, some of you are posting some weird tire pressures - not in the manual nor on Pirelli's site there's a mention of inflating the front more than the rear, it's the opposite actually...
This is regarding the official cold tire pressures that some of you are mentioning, now, depending on the use and whether you inflate them cold or hot YMMV.

Got a question : for my S model, and regarding the Diablo rosso 2's, the suggested pressure as per manual is 2.3 bar/33 PSI Front, 2.5 bar/36 PSI rear, thing is, on the Pirelli site, it's 2.5 bar/36 PSI Front and 2.8 bar/40 PSI rear - these pressures are also mentioned in the manual but for 2up riding, now, which ones shall i choose ? The Ducati or the Pirelli ones ?

Went 2up riding a week ago (with the suggested pressure mentioned in the manual for 2up) and after i rode the bike solo tires felt like balloons a.k.a over-inflated.

So, which is it boys ?

#25 ·
Yes!:devil

I use the Ducati spec for single rider. My back tire did not look even slightly worn when I had to replace it at 6000 km due to a puncture. Front DRII is still on the bike and still looks mint as well. Of course, I do avoid those turn-ey thing-eys and just go straight...:wink

#26 ·
Tire pressures, don't get it?
I run F33 and R30 because of the rough mountain roads. My weight is 155 lbs and single rider always. Weight makes a difference. These pressures gave me a good compromise between mileage and handling. I used to run F30 and R27 on my 1198 Corse which handled great but a little less mileage and now the roads are a little rougher. Fronts carry more load especially under braking and need higher pressure. Lower pressure = greater heat, less mileage, better grip. Higher pressure = lower heat, greater mileage, less grip. These are generalities not to be carried to the extreme. However as an example a nascar will run anywhere from 12 to 55 lbs depending on temperature, speed, tire life, track abrasion, spring rate, and stagger. Watching Josh Hayes superbike in slow motion you could see he was running a pretty low rear pressure. You don't have to be afraid to experiment with pressures moderately.

#27 · (Edited)
@Rosso Classico
This is a copy and paste from the M1200R's manual with OEM Supercorsa's. Note the "Important" in Bold

Tires
Front tire pressure:
2.3 bar (33 PSI) (rider only) - 2.3 bar (33 PSI) (rider and passenger).
Rear tire pressure:
2.1 bar (30 PSI) (rider only) - 2.5 bar (36 PSI) (rider and passenger).
Because tire pressure is affected by temperature and altitude variations, you are advised to check and adjust it whenever you are riding in areas where ample variations in temperature or altitude occur.

Important

Check and set tire pressure when tires are cold.
When traveling very bumpy roads, increase tire pressure by 0.2÷0.3 bar (2.9÷4.35 PSI) to preserve the roundness of the front rim.

PS. I also checked the owner's manual for the new 2017 Monster "S" which uses Rosso III and the tire pressures suggested are the same as the 1200R with Supercorsa's as posted above.

#32 ·
On previous bikes I usually changed 2 rear tyres over 1 front tyre.
On the M1200 I changed both tyres at the same time because the front was almost as far gone as the rear.
On the R I actually changed both tyres because the front was at it's end before the rear... (just a little tho...)

#33 ·
That's exactly it. Two for one was the norm although on the Panigale I replaced both OEM Rosso Corsa's for SC's.
Based on your experience, looks like I'll be replacing both OEM SC's with Rosso 3's on the Monster.

#37 ·
That's depressing as I was hoping for more mileage out of the Rosso III just installed last summer.
The Monster just made a meal out the rear OEM Diablo SC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.