Frame Sliders? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
MotorheadBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Frame Sliders?

Hello all. I am looking at purchasing some frame sliders to protect my "investment"

What are you all using? Any recommendations?

One question I have, is using a frame slider that only connects to one bolt location on the frame...isn't that going to put a lot of pressure on one area in a fall and bend the frame? Or since the frame connects to a engine mount/block, will the entire engine keep the frame from bending?


Ben

2106 M1200R
MotorheadBen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington,D.C.
Posts: 306
I like my speedymotos a lot. There are a lot of good brands though. Regarding the frame pressure, I think the sliders are designed to absorb the stress rather than transfer it over. I know I have gone down on sliders on my last monster and the sliders ended up slightly bent but not the frame. Either way I wouldn't worry about it because people have been using sliders for a long time without taking on any damage to their frames as a result as far as I know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hyperspd7 likes this.
696DCRider is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mexico
Posts: 100
Garage
I got the rizoma frame sliders, they look nice and discrete but I think they're on the short side and are basically flushed to the radiators guards or the header heat shield. So I'm not sure how usefull will they be in case of a tip over, and for sure the bar ends will hit the floor first anyway. The sliders must be very long (and maybe break the bike lines) to really protect the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D13.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	203386  
Nomad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Rosso Classico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I got the rizoma frame sliders, they look nice and discrete but I think they're on the short side and are basically flushed to the radiators guards or the header heat shield. So I'm not sure how usefull will they be in case of a tip over, and for sure the bar ends will hit the floor first anyway. The sliders must be very long (and maybe break the bike lines) to really protect the bike.

Yeah Nomad, those Rizomas look awfully short, methinks the radiator will get knocked out in case of a tip-over, this is the reason why i personally excluded them.

Talking about long-ish ones, i'm looking at the Puig R12's :
It's in Spanish but...you get the idea
https://youtu.be/H-KI6AUYZa8
Rosso Classico is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
RadRodriguez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 153
I have the Speedymotos on my 2014 M1200 and can attest to their value during a tip over. Less than 1 week after installation, I tipped over (to the right side) at a stop sign and only the bar end, slider, and tip of the driver's foot peg touched. The sliders paid for themselves right then and their! I think they look good too.
hyperspd7 likes this.

2014 Monster 1200
2014 HD Softail Slim
RadRodriguez is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
MotorheadBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Quote:
I have the Speedymotos on my 2014 M1200 and can attest to their value during a tip over. Less than 1 week after installation, I tipped over (to the right side) at a stop sign and only the bar end, slider, and tip of the driver's foot peg touched. The sliders paid for themselves right then and their! I think they look good too.
That's the kind of testimony that speaks for itself. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger and order some. Thanks for all the feedback.

Ben

2106 M1200R
MotorheadBen is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Bono61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 137
This is pretty much how the Speedymoto frame sliders will look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4903a.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	203530


Hope this helps you decide

Cheers
Classico Rosso likes this.

on the ground a Big 18 wheeler
In the air a Huge 747...
Monster 1200
Bono61 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Rosso Classico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 869
Was between the evotech ones (ridiculously expensive), Rizoma B1pro (ridiculously short/mainly for show as most things Rizoma) and the Puig R12 (had the previous model on my 796 and they worked wonders).

Ordered Yesterday the Puig R12's (mainly because of their length), will post some pictures when i receive them/install them in case anyone's interested
Rosso Classico is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Brianq103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 532
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico Rosso View Post
Was between the evotech ones (ridiculously expensive), Rizoma B1pro (ridiculously short/mainly for show as most things Rizoma) and the Puig R12 (had the previous model on my 796 and they worked wonders).

Ordered Yesterday the Puig R12's (mainly because of their length), will post some pictures when i receive them/install them in case anyone's interested
I've been told many times that length is important.
Unfortunately, this is usually preceded by her laughing...

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
Brianq103 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington,D.C.
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
I've been told many times that length is important.

Unfortunately, this is usually preceded by her laughing...


Don't forget about girth


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
696DCRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome