Putting air in front tyre wiith those 330mm discs... - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Putting air in front tyre wiith those 330mm discs...

Today i went to the gas station to put some juice in the bike and thought of checking tyre pressure since last time i did so was back in mid-October when i got the bike.

Starting from the rear tyre, everything checked out, 36psi, put the valve cap back on.
Front tyre..."wait, how am i supposed to...", "maybe i have to find the right angle...", "oh wait, maybe...no...well, shit"
Felt like a muppet since i haven't had this happen on a bike before, then again, never had a bike with 330mm front discs before, basically, the air pump nozzle can't fit/be placed properly due to those huge 330mm front discs.
Tried 2 other gas stations, yep, same air pumps with same long metallic nozzle, long story short, wasn't able to check the front tyre pressure.

Idiotic as it may sound, what's to be done in this case ?

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 01-23-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:27 PM

You can have the 90 degree valve stems installed. How do you get away with building a bike you can't check tire pressure on ?
Classico Rosso likes this.

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc96cr View Post
You can have the 90 degree valve stems installed. How do you get away with building a bike you can't check tire pressure on ?
Much appreciated Duc, should have thought about that really, i was just surprised today (literally) since, again, my 796 had 320mm ones and my 2 previous bikes even smaller...

Do you know how much the cost is (approximately) to install different valve stems ?
That's something i'll have to do on my next visit to my tyre shop, until then i'll just have to find a gas station with a cable nozzle.

Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 AM

Ducati did think of that, they have Ducati branded 90 degree metal valve stems as aftermarket parts.

They look very nice, Black with red lettering, and actually offset a bit so they sit at a small angle from the centreline (ie, not at 90 degrees to the rim) of the bike so easy to get a gauge onto.

I had mine fitted as part of the last tyre change, unfortunately (or maybe deliberately) they didn't break down the cost, but I am sure it would have been hideous
Classico Rosso likes this.

Current Bikes
2014 Ducati Monster 1200S
2014 BMW R1200GSW
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 03:15 AM

Garage
My 1200R came with a 90' filler on the front from new (standard on rear) - I'm in UK.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano747 View Post
Ducati did think of that, they have Ducati branded 90 degree metal valve stems as aftermarket parts.

They look very nice, Black with red lettering, and actually offset a bit so they sit at a small angle from the centreline (ie, not at 90 degrees to the rim) of the bike so easy to get a gauge onto.

I had mine fitted as part of the last tyre change, unfortunately (or maybe deliberately) they didn't break down the cost, but I am sure it would have been hideous
Wow, just wow...after market eh ? I'm sure they're gonna be very cheap since they're DP ones.

The bike not having a handlebar stabilizer (which is in dire need of) i can (kind of) understand as they need to put it in the more expensive (R) model, having to put after-market valve stems though for the "privilege" of - you know - actually being able to put some air in your tyres...

Ducati man, Ducati...

Edit : Would you kindly post a link buddy ? Just searched Ducati.it and the monster spare parts catalogue but didn't find anything...
Cheers

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 01-24-2017 at 05:25 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 AM

My 2014 1200 (not S), early production, came with a 90 front valve stem. This is a US bike, bought in Ohio.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 AM

They probably just ran out, my 2014 didn't come with one, had one put on at the first tire change. The particular one on mine (which is the same as many other Ducatis fwiw) wouldn't clear the right caliper so instead of facing to the right as they normally do, mine faces to the left where it clears the left caliper.

YMMV etc, just a head's up so you don't go ramming your new valve stem into your brake.
hyperspd7 and Classico Rosso like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icottier View Post
My 1200R came with a 90' filler on the front from new (standard on rear) - I'm in UK.
Same here in Canada for my 1200R. 90 front valve to the left and std on rear.
The Panigale 959 has front and rear 90 valve stems to the right.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Took a look on google and :
Some have the normal valve stems, some have the 90 ones.
Don't know if it's down to specific M.Y's but...

Same thing with the 821's btw...

Fun fact : 2017's have a normal one for the rear and a 90 one for the front.

Another beautiful Ducati "mystery"

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 01-24-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode