Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Ducati Monster 1200 (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-1200/)
-   -   Putting air in front tyre wiith those 330mm discs... (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-1200/338010-putting-air-front-tyre-wiith-those-330mm-discs.html)

Rosso Classico 01-23-2017 07:21 PM

Putting air in front tyre wiith those 330mm discs...

Today i went to the gas station to put some juice in the bike and thought of checking tyre pressure since last time i did so was back in mid-October when i got the bike.

Starting from the rear tyre, everything checked out, 36psi, put the valve cap back on.
Front tyre..."wait, how am i supposed to...", "maybe i have to find the right angle...", "oh wait, maybe...no...well, shit" :grin
Felt like a muppet since i haven't had this happen on a bike before, then again, never had a bike with 330mm front discs before, basically, the air pump nozzle can't fit/be placed properly due to those huge 330mm front discs.
Tried 2 other gas stations, yep, same air pumps with same long metallic nozzle, long story short, wasn't able to check the front tyre pressure.

Idiotic as it may sound, what's to be done in this case ?

Duc96cr 01-23-2017 07:27 PM

You can have the 90 degree valve stems installed. How do you get away with building a bike you can't check tire pressure on ?

Rosso Classico 01-23-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc96cr (Post 3086554)
You can have the 90 degree valve stems installed. How do you get away with building a bike you can't check tire pressure on ?

Much appreciated Duc, should have thought about that really, i was just surprised today (literally) since, again, my 796 had 320mm ones and my 2 previous bikes even smaller...

Do you know how much the cost is (approximately) to install different valve stems ?
That's something i'll have to do on my next visit to my tyre shop, until then i'll just have to find a gas station with a cable nozzle.

Thanks man ;)

Deano747 01-24-2017 01:28 AM

Ducati did think of that, they have Ducati branded 90 degree metal valve stems as aftermarket parts.

They look very nice, Black with red lettering, and actually offset a bit so they sit at a small angle from the centreline (ie, not at 90 degrees to the rim) of the bike so easy to get a gauge onto.

I had mine fitted as part of the last tyre change, unfortunately (or maybe deliberately) they didn't break down the cost, but I am sure it would have been hideous:)

icottier 01-24-2017 03:15 AM

My 1200R came with a 90' filler on the front from new (standard on rear) - I'm in UK.

Rosso Classico 01-24-2017 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano747 (Post 3086658)
Ducati did think of that, they have Ducati branded 90 degree metal valve stems as aftermarket parts.

They look very nice, Black with red lettering, and actually offset a bit so they sit at a small angle from the centreline (ie, not at 90 degrees to the rim) of the bike so easy to get a gauge onto.

I had mine fitted as part of the last tyre change, unfortunately (or maybe deliberately) they didn't break down the cost, but I am sure it would have been hideous:)

Wow, just wow...after market eh ? I'm sure they're gonna be very cheap since they're DP ones.

The bike not having a handlebar stabilizer (which is in dire need of) i can (kind of) understand as they need to put it in the more expensive (R) model, having to put after-market valve stems though for the "privilege" of - you know - actually being able to put some air in your tyres...

Ducati man, Ducati...:grin

Edit : Would you kindly post a link buddy ? Just searched Ducati.it and the monster spare parts catalogue but didn't find anything...
Cheers

cookiemech 01-24-2017 06:40 AM

My 2014 1200 (not S), early production, came with a 90 front valve stem. This is a US bike, bought in Ohio.

Sonic Duck 01-24-2017 07:07 AM

They probably just ran out, my 2014 didn't come with one, had one put on at the first tire change. The particular one on mine (which is the same as many other Ducatis fwiw) wouldn't clear the right caliper so instead of facing to the right as they normally do, mine faces to the left where it clears the left caliper.

YMMV etc, just a head's up so you don't go ramming your new valve stem into your brake. :)

DarR 01-24-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icottier (Post 3086666)
My 1200R came with a 90' filler on the front from new (standard on rear) - I'm in UK.

Same here in Canada for my 1200R. 90 front valve to the left and std on rear.
The Panigale 959 has front and rear 90 valve stems to the right.

Rosso Classico 01-24-2017 09:39 AM

Took a look on google and :
Some have the normal valve stems, some have the 90 ones.
Don't know if it's down to specific M.Y's but...

Same thing with the 821's btw...

Fun fact : 2017's have a normal one for the rear and a 90 one for the front.

Another beautiful Ducati "mystery" :D