Question about velocity stacks and airbox mods: - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Question Question about velocity stacks and airbox mods:

Question about velocity stacks and airbox mods:

So I used to have a Ninja 1000 (not a ZX-10). That thing had a sick intake howl and with an airbox mod it was even meaner sounding. Last night on the forums I saw a discussion about an airbox mod for the S2R/S4R. The poster mentioned that Ducati had designed the airbox to be quiet rather than for higher performance.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but has anyone heard of this or tried modding the airbox or adding velocity stacks??

Would either or both of these result in any measurable benefit?

Even if there is no HP/Torque change, Would modding the airbox increase the intake howl?

If there are other references to this in the forums please feel free to point me in that direction, I didn't find any results about this typic that were specific to the 1200 when I was searching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Airbox mods are not uncommon for Ducatis. Ducati people seem to delight in spending money.
I have heard from several sources that velocity stacks are a great upgrade for HyperMotards, and really do make a difference there.
My personal inclination is not to change much, and not to fix things that aren't broken, so I'm still running the stock setup for my M900.
YMMV.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnico View Post
Question about velocity stacks and airbox mods:

Would modding the airbox increase the intake howl?
It certainly could increase the howl depending on what you do to it or by replacing it with velocity stacks.
FWIW, I used to believe that more howl was positively correlated with increased flow. I don't believe this any longer as both may be completely un-correlated.
You may also be damaging your engine in the process for little in return. Also: unclogging the exhaust produces more air-intake as a by-product.
As stated by @philb...if it ain't broke...

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies, I already have the headers and can but haven't installed them yet - waiting for the tuner currently.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Garage
@digitalnico
Wow, you're going for the full nine yards with the headers. Are they Titanium? I have purchased a slip-on that is yet to be installed and will remove the butterfly valve if I can find a skilled welder to plug-up the holes and adding a fuel controller. In the absence of a good welder, I'll just settle by disconnecting the servo and cable. That's as far as I'm willing to go. What do you mean by "waiting for a tuner?" Do you mean an actual person or a fuel controller?

Last edited by DarR; 01-23-2017 at 07:13 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:22 PM

Modern air boxes are made to flow as close to what the stock engine needs as the factory is able while keeping intake noise down. If you do mods to other areas to increase performance you will probably benefit from decreased restriction from the intake side. A low restriction filter element may not help on its own if the air box design is restrictive. If you are changing the exhaust and tuning anyway, it would be the right time to increase the airbox flow . I'm sure if you check the forums you'll see examples of air box mods. A high flow filter is subject to debate because decreased filtration is usually the trade off, but at least some of them are washable. Think of where rain will likely flow in, taking wind into consideration. Don't bore holes that will suck rain in. Internal air box baffling is a sound reduction thing and it's usually beneficial to remove it. I'll bet there are videos on line showing what to do on your model. I just googled problems I was having with two different older bikes today and had multiple solutions on both, with pics, videos, parts sources and part numbers . What more could I ask for ? It saved me hours.

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

@DarR

Yes, I bought the titanium Akra headers and an SC project CRT can. I am waiting for my tax return to come back before buying a Rapid Bike EVO tuner and hi-flow air filter.

Take this with a small grain of salt, but the master mechanic at my dealership and I were having a beer and talking 'for-funzies-mods' with my 1200. He said 1098 cams can drop right in and would net a huge HP increase. He also said (use a bigger grain of salt here) that with enough time and money this engine can make 205 hp. To which my response was O.O .... I would have to stitch myself to the seat to stay on. I'm thinking I could push it to 180 HP optimistically with cams and all. We'll see what happens with time but I havent seen anyone near those numbers so far.

The headers, tuner and can will be installed in the next 2 weeks or so. Then its going to be some protection mods, frame sliders and rad guards. then I'll be broke again -.-
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 PM

Garage
@digitalnico
I purchased the SC carbon conic and will also order an RB unit soon. Which model and year do you have?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

@DarR

2014, S model
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnico View Post
@DarR

Yes, I bought the titanium Akra headers and an SC project CRT can. I am waiting for my tax return to come back before buying a Rapid Bike EVO tuner and hi-flow air filter.

Take this with a small grain of salt, but the master mechanic at my dealership and I were having a beer and talking 'for-funzies-mods' with my 1200. He said 1098 cams can drop right in and would net a huge HP increase. He also said (use a bigger grain of salt here) that with enough time and money this engine can make 205 hp. To which my response was O.O .... I would have to stitch myself to the seat to stay on. I'm thinking I could push it to 180 HP optimistically with cams and all. We'll see what happens with time but I havent seen anyone near those numbers so far.

The headers, tuner and can will be installed in the next 2 weeks or so. Then its going to be some protection mods, frame sliders and rad guards. then I'll be broke again -.-
well, given 1198's made 180bhp stock I would think 205bhp in World Superbike trim would be likely. In my experience mechanics like to talk of ten tenths possibilities and handily ignore if the motor will last more than 20k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode