Thinking about selling my 1200 s for Multistrada - Page 5 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 28Likes

post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 PM

Garage
Yeah but naked bikes are cooler to ride stop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
I agree but sadly I have no room in garage for a second bike
I think this is what Family Rooms are for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Family Room Furniture.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	201962  
Brianq103, DarR and Classico Rosso like this.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
Your wife deserves a prize and a title of best wife ever!!!!!
DarR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano747 View Post
Naked bikes being cooler to ride in the heat due wind blast is a fallacy; same fallacy as naked skin is cooler in the heat than loosely covered skin.
Depends on what you mean by "heat". I don't think Scuba is talking about temps above 98 F.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano747 View Post
Naked bikes being cooler to ride in the heat due wind blast is a fallacy; same fallacy as naked skin is cooler in the heat than loosely covered skin.
It depends on the level of heat. If it's not as hot as body temperature out, then exposure to the wind is cooler. If it's warmer than body temperature out, exposure makes it worse and protection from the wind is cooler.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
If I could give more than one "like" I would!

Scuba, If you still like your Monster and you aren't bored of it, do what Sonic suggested; modify it to be more weather resistant in the cooler months, ideally with stuff that's easy to remove when it gets warmer. If you want to get something else, by all means do it, just make sure you test it for yourself if you can. Maybe the new Supersport might be more appropriate for me...I mean YOU!

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:08 AM

I looked for an adventure bike for almost a year before I ended up buying a Yamaha Super Tenere. I had put almost 50k miles on my S2R1000 and I needed more storage than the Ventura pack system offered. I test rode everything. The Multistrada was first and the biggest disappointment. The right pannier fell off, check engine light was on, fuel gauge didn't work, and those happened on the start up. I spent some time on the Multistrada forum ( I know, everything on the internet is true), but over a 100 pages and 1000 posts about problems, makes you start to question the bike. These aren't little problems either. Engine mapping, electronic problems (most), fork seals, pannier issues, over all quality of the bike, all this on a $20k bike. The 15k mile service ( about 1 1/2 years of riding for me), is well over$1k, and I didn't need another expensive bike to maintain( still have the Monster). Overall, not for me. The other bikes.. BMW- servicing cost. I talked to many owners and they mentioned electronic and engine seal issues. KTM- too big.. it's liking getting on a horse. Honda Twin- no cruise control. Triumph- quality issues. As far as the Yamaha, brand new OTD for $12k, dealers everywhere, no scheduled maintenance until 25k miles ( except oil/filter changes), windshield, cruise, shaft drive, 6 1/2 gal tank, sold me. I have almost 7.5k miles on the bike, no issues, no regrets. I will say the Yamaha is nowhere near the "attention getter" the Monster is..

Dave
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM

Garage
Pretty accurate analogy of the state of the adventure bike union based on my research as well. Leave it to the Japanese to make a better Swiss army knife! Plus I think the 2016 ST in the anniversary yellow is a beautiful bike.

If I were to do this though, I think I would lean towards the Africa Twin because I would be looking to add it to the fleet, so I would be looking for a more off road centric bike.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
Which leads us back to my justification for having multiple bikes...
Agreed!
A bike for every mood.
If I were to buy a third bike, the Multistrada PP for long distance riding would would be the right complement to the two I have.
Unfortunately, I can't sell the wife on the idea. Ontario insurance would be a close second issue.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 03-19-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode