Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster 1200 Dyno Charts

42K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Matt Dennis 
#1 · (Edited)
This one for the 2016 M1200R comes from Remus.
Check-out the numbers, especially for the stock exhaust :0

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
SwflDuc:

I got the Remus Hypercone for my 1200S and I love it, it has a cleaner look, sounds great, and the bike runs smoother after I installed it. The power gain should be minimal like the chart above, but the looks and sound are good enough for me. Below are some clips from before and after.

Before

After

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
@Nomad
Thanks for sharing.
What I find interesting about the charts are the stock figures. Usually, there's a 15% drop between the manufacturer's power figures and those measured on a Dyno at the rear wheel.
As you already mentioned, I don't really care either about the after-market performance gains as that's not what most people (myself included) buy these slip-ons for.

#8 ·
i (my WIFE) spent $1000.00 to make my bike more SAFE making it louder, thus alerting drivers' of my presence!
more SAFE by dropping 20+ pounds making it quicker to steer out of hazards!
more SAFE by making it more visually attractive, also alerting drivers' of my presence!

If anything, honestly, I probably lost power with the incredible amount of flow my slip-on has. But rarely do I rev past 6k and I don't really care what my "peak power" is.

I get boners every time I fire the engine up. and that's what matters. :)

#11 ·
BTW, I'm not criticizing Remus or Cycle World in any way here. All I'm saying is that Dyno numbers are only good for measuring the difference between the stock (baseline) number and those produced by any modifications on the same bike measured back to back. Dyno numbers are only good for relative comparisons not absolute figures.

Reactions: Cosmok
#14 ·
The second chart shows the AFR values. There are special measurement holes in the exhaust where you can connect sensors. I think there is a little delay while accelerating on the dyno. The power curve corresponds with the AFR values if you include the delay. The Remus is richer in the low rpm range and produces there more torque. In the higher rpm range the Monster runs with both exhausts quite rich like most of the bikes: The AFR is focused on safety, richer = cooler.

So you can gain some more ponies with an individual mapping ;-).

#15 ·
The second chart shows the AFR values. There are special measurement holes in the exhaust where you can connect sensors. I think there is a little delay while accelerating on the dyno. The power curve corresponds with the AFR values if you include the delay. The Remus is richer in the low rpm range and produces there more torque. In the higher rpm range the Monster runs with both exhausts quite rich like most of the bikes: The AFR is focused on safety, richer = cooler.

So you can gain some more ponies with an individual mapping ;-).

Is the delay the reason for the lower Remus numbers in the first graph around 3500 RPM?
I've been thinking of getting the Remus for my 1200s. How is the seat of the pants feel vs stock?

#18 ·
Sorry, my comment was not correct for this chart... I had another in my mind's eye. The Remus is leaner in low rpm with full throttle. But a value about 13.2 is what we want. I installed some weeks later a RapidBike. The standard map for the M1200S was leaner in mid and high rpm range at full throttle. Worked very well. The map in these charts is stock.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T800 mit Tapatalk

#19 ·
@rocroc
Thanks for that. I'm seriously thinking about a RapidBike as well. I have some due diligence to perform as I have learned today from my accessories dealer that European, US and Canadian ECU's may be differently mapped to comply with local EPA regulations. Therefore a European unit may not work well in another region. I'm looking into this now to differentiate between facts and fiction.

#20 ·
I received a prompt response for Rapid Bike about regional ECU differences and accordingly it's not an issue.
Here's their response:
Yes there may be some regional differences between the stock ECUs but this is irrelevant to how rapid bike works and makes adjustments so we have had nothing but good success with it, however, this next sentence is absolutely unique to Monster 821/1200 models which is , we can not make any adjustments below 3000 RPM on these particular models, when we do check engine light gets triggered which does not affect in running of the bike... But still when we set up your system we basically make no adjustments below that RPM and in reality below 3000 RPM is pretty useless anyways....

#28 ·
Will be nice to see a dyno chart for a full termi exhaust.
I would expect very little or no noticeable difference. The full headers may be slightly smoother lacking the O2 sensors and the exhaust valve but they're not any larger than the "R's". The reasons for swapping are for the farkle ( a pound less weight) and bling (shinny and blue).
For major performance enhancements, I'd first look at fine tuning the AFR, gearing change and lighter wheels followed by larger throttle bodies, higher lift cams, lighter connecting rods, etc.

#30 ·
The 1200 R should produce 152 HP at the crank (corrected value for Europe), means about 140 - 142 HP at the rear wheel. This with the stock equipment. How do you use your SC-Project? DB Eater on board? Air filter stock? I'm really no fan of the Rexxer mappings. First of all there is no sense to kill the closed loop area. You can manipulate it (14.2 AFR instead of 14.67) without loosing the self-regulation effect in this area and nevertheless getting a smoother engine in the lower rpm range. Unfortunately the synerject ecu of the Monster 1200 isn't hacked till now so you have to use a piggyback solution or send in your ECU if you want to flash it (by Rexxer after a hardware manipulation). RapidBike keeps the closed loop area alive and allows the selective tuning of the parameters for each cylinder. Before any misunderstandings arise: I prefer flashing the ECU but not sending it to a dealer. I want to flash a new mapping and playback the original configuration myself.

#32 · (Edited)
@rocroc
No DB baffle, Stock air filter.

FYI about the drop in HP from the crank to the rear wheel:
I had my stock 2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak on the same dyno yesterday as well. It's rated at 158hp by Ducati.
It pulled a 141.04 HP at the wheel representing an 11% drop.
This was inline with my expectations given other dyno run results on the same bike.

@TjHunter
As previously mentioned, I'm not too pleased with 140.11 at the wheel given the ecu flash and the no cat-exhaust on the Monster.
145+hp was expected. Perhaps I was too optimistic.
I'm familiar with the Rapidbike having had one in my previous Panigale. In fact, I still have it and earmarked for the Multistrada when the time comes.
I'm not blaming the exhaust. I'll check my air filter if it needs replacing but I'll try to get some feedback from Rexxer and take it from there.

Edit: ECU flashes are great as long as you can tune at home and revert if need be. Sending it out is a pain.
If I had to do this ECU mod again, I would use a Rapidbike unit for several reasons namely: auto-adaptation, customizable and Dyno tune-able and bike portable should you buy another harness.

#34 ·
Rexxer got back to me. They usually can fetch north of 145hp but altitude, atmospheric changes and other subtle variances can make a difference. A competition air filter would add a few HP's although not recommended for the street. In addition to a clean air filter which mine may not be, they suggested to disconnect and plug the vacuum line from the charcoal canister to the intake if it's still on the bike. Disable the TC for the dyno run which I had. That's about it in a nutshell. They did remark that the dyno curve looked good which they felt was more important than the small peak power difference.

#35 ·
I just saw your edit and if I were you...I would just get the RB and call it a day. I agree 100%, there is a reason people like the RB units. That is the way that I am going, just waiting to see what black friday deals are to come then I am going to buy my Shift Tech and RB. The other plus for RB is that you can buy the Up/Down quickshifter add on.

#36 ·
Hopefully going to the Dyno sometime December/January. But I have a 2015 1200 S, I’ve installed a MWR intake, Shift-Tech GP style exhaust, Rapid Bike Evo module and the Quick Shifter. Have not had a shop custom tune it yet. I’m at just about sea lvl and will post my charts once I get it done. Noticeable change in the bike, much snappier and even power curve. No crazy lurching. Dropping some pictures of the setup, thought I had a picture of the quick shifter but dont. I have the QS module attached just behind the rapid bike module.

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
@TjHunter
As mentioned in my previous post #32, I would use the RB if I had to got through the flash process again. It's not the flash per se that was an issue for me. It was having to ship it out and wait for it to return. The RB is also home tune-able which is a big plus and last but not least, you can"t lose your flash by an inattentive Ducati mechanic if he performs an ecu upgrade by mistake. Also as mentioned, I have an RB unit in the garage right now which I pulled from my Panigale. However, it's earmarked for the Multistrada. Enjoy your Monster and show us your Dyno charts with a description of the performance mods on your bike..

#38 ·
I currently own a Ducati diavel s cause I mostly use my bike for everything and riding a supersport would split my spine in two after few months. It's been 4 years since I bought the bike and now recently rode my friends monster 1200s. I loved how the ride felt and it was pretty comfortable too. Plus I think I'm in love with the way it looks especially in grey. Pictures online don't do it justice. Was wondering what are your thoughts on it and if it's worth replacing my diavel.

#39 · (Edited)
@joelfernandes

This is a dyno chart thread. Have you put your Diavel on a dyno?
However, to answer your question:
I currently ride both a Monster and a Multistrada which replaced a Panigale 959. I have ridden the Diavel and all current Ducati more than a couple of times each. They are all different.
Similar to a Diavel, the Monster is really fun at sub-80mph but for different reasons. Also, at that speed or above for longer time period the Multistrada is a better choice. The Panigale is awful around town but excels at hyper-speed and on the track.

This may seem counter-intuitive but a Panigale is not hard on your back at all. It's hard on your wrists (at slow speed), neck and legs after awhile. Cruisers on the other hand transmit every bump right up your spine.
Notwithstanding, I really enjoyed the Diavel for what it is although that's not my type of bike.
The Monster is very lightweight compared to the Diavel where you can really throw it around in corners.
However, bikes are not a rational purchase. It all boils down to which bike speaks to you.

#40 · (Edited)
18,000+ views and 38 posts but only 3 dyno contributions so far.
Doesn't say much for walking the talk. We could use a larger sample of runs with bikes having various components.
Let's go guys. Put it on, post it and tell us what mods you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.