Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster 1200: Re-Mapping the ECU

84K views 124 replies 33 participants last post by  Zoomie 
#1 ·
Especially important for those using non-Termignoni After-Market exhaust systems.
Share what you know about it here.

#52 ·
@Teqtonix. @Brianq103 and the gang

As previously mentioned, I have been in contact with David Lillard, President at Rexxer US. and owner of a Ducati dealership.
I must have asked David at least a dozen questions in multiple email correspondence where he answered them all with satisfaction.
If I get a roundtuit, I'll post all the Q&A's here.

However, one of those question related to MWR and Sprint air filters vs the OEM. Here's his reply:
The aftermarket makes more intake noise that's it and also allow more debris. The light oil is needed to assist in holding this material. Stock one has a touch of oil as well and works really best for the motor. The .2-.5hp is not worth a rebuild in the future.

I'm frozen in hell right now but when it gets warmer, I'm sending my ecu to him for a re-flash. The cost is US$400 plus shipping to flash the Monster's ECU.
The flash is very part and preference specific. An application/ form is attached for your perusal.

http://www.rexxer.com/fckimages/Rexxer ECU Form.pdf

#53 ·
That's awesome! Did he mention any specific HP/torque gains? Always good to have more options--especially at a cheaper price-point. I'll be honest, I didn't know too much regarding the air filters. I did file a similar document for BrenTuning regarding any changes to the intake/engine/exhaust. I'll have to find a dyno around here when the weather's nice again. Haha, I'd like (and I know this is definitely a dream) to be getting around 150 rwhp. :D

#55 ·
Well guys, I've got my flashed ECU back and installed. Nothing works; when I turn the bike on, it acts as if the ECU's been removed. Flashing dash, all lights on, flashing fuel gauge, no traction control, my units switched from mpg to kilometers, a real pickle. Not suuuurrreeee what to do, but y'know, it's my fault for flashing it.

#57 ·
From What I gather you sent the ecu away to be (open flashed) which is done in house.
Rexxer tune do the same thing for the ecu's they have't cracked yet.
From what I have been told and one big reason I didn't send my ecu to be open flashed is, they have to open the ecu and use a tool to refresh it. Problem is there is a chance the ecu will then have errors or worse become locked meaning it's now useless and is only good for the bin
I pray this isn't what has happened with yours.
I'm hoping soon rexxer crack the ecu so it can be done by the port and not have to be opened.

#56 · (Edited)
#58 ·
I've sent them an email and left a phone message; working on getting ahold of them and remaining cautiously optimistic. Regarding that particular handheld tuner; I believe it may actually be for the Monster 1100 as the 1200 was not around in 2012. I spoke with someone at BrenTuning to confirm the Continental Synerject ECU for the 2017 MY at least did not have a handheld tuner as the ECU wasn't cracked yet. Watky's information that they had to actually open up the ECU makes me believe something during the flashing process and reassembly of the ECU may not have worked out; like a faulty ground or faulty thermals or something. I'll make sure to update after I pick BrenTuning's brains for a bit.

#60 ·
I had really good results with the rapidbike initially however same as the demo monster I rode my bike would occasionally turn off when clutch was pulled in and coming to a stop. It also happened to me once when I pulled in the clutch coming to a slow turn, luckily I was able to restart the bike prior to the exit.

I attributed it fuel starvation and when I tuned the rapidbike below 2.5k rpm by adding more fuel there it fixed he problem but my ECU would then throw engine codes.

I sold the rapidbike bike and sent my ECU to rexxer to flash. I had them also remove flapper and O2 sensors (even though I already had one disabled w ducati.ee and other moduled with rapidbike prior)

I will report I rode this whole last season with the rexxee flash. My bike runs super smooth in low Rpms (prob smoothest Ducati of the 5 I've owned), the turn off issue is gone, the occasional popping on my termis is also gone. It worked out really well for me.

2014 1200s

#62 ·
I spoke to rexer about flashing my ECU of my stock 2014 1200 this is the response I got:
Yes no issue to flash to S settings however in addition to this the open loop and exhaust servo can be deactivated as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears. This will make a huge difference in performance. Termi upmap keeps the bike in closed loop and servo active and is over rich past 40% throttle. I'd pick another exhaust and stick with the ecu mapping for said pipe. If you are on the fence about an exhaust just do the mapping as it wakes the bike up a ton with greater drivability.

#66 ·
I spoke to rexer about flashing my ECU of my stock 2014 1200 this is the response I got:
Yes no issue to flash to S settings however in addition to this the open loop and exhaust servo can be deactivated as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears.
Can you please explain this last statement? : as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears
This is new to me and very interesting.

Reactions: 696DCRider
#64 ·
Just a quick update; per BrenTuning's recommendation my bike is in the shop checking what the issue may be/see if there's an error that Ducati can clear/reset and have the ECU run properly. My ECU had a version of software BrenTuning hadn't seen before; I definitely hope there's just a simple error that needs to be cleared.

#68 ·
An update on my flash issue: Ducati is replacing the bricked ECU under factory warranty. I'll definitely be ordering some accessories from the dealer in recompense. I'm working with my point of contact at BrenTuning to see what my options are/will be. If I can get my cash back, I think I'll try Dave, the Rexxer guru in VA.

#69 ·
Has anyone had a good experience using a handheld tuner, such as a BrenTuner or RexXer EVO? To me it seems like paying a few hundred more to have the capability to infinitely tune your bike as new maps come available would be ideal. And if I understand correctly the handheld devices allow you to reset the maintenance light after oil changes, etc.

Thoughts or reviews?

Ben

#71 ·
If you were to purchase factory optional aftermarket exhausts from Ducati as in Termignoni and are listed for that model then usually they come with a plug in ECU to re map the fuelling to suit.

If on the other hand you fit a non standard exhaust and this applies to all makes its best to get the fuelling re mapped, this will involve fitting a power commander or the like and getting it Dyno tuned.

Its going to get harder and more expensive to do this sort of thing as new bike fitted with anti anti slide and so forth all have control of the fuel map as well.

#79 ·
Rapid Bike woes

I’ve got a 2017 1200S with an SC Project Carbon Oval. I had a Rapid Bike Evo put on and that’s been a complete cluster. The RB does cause the bike to run better (pulls stronger). However, I’ve been getting a check engine light since the install. Very frustrating and not remedied as of yet. The SC Project exhaust is a home-run, though.

#81 ·
I’ve got a 2017 1200S with an SC Project Carbon Oval. I had a Rapid Bike Evo put on and that’s been a complete cluster. The RB does cause the bike to run better (pulls stronger). However, I’ve been getting a check engine light since the install. Very frustrating and not remedied as of yet. The SC Project exhaust is a home-run, though.
I've read that if the RB's map is adjusted too low in the RPM range it triggers a engine light. This came from Yaman at RB. I'd run this by him for a correction.

#80 ·
Just posted in another thread I have sc projects carbon oval and rapid bike with a custom tune. It made 143hp and 83 torque.I have not been able to ride bike yet but tuner said it ran great on dyno. I asked about engine light he said should not be a problem with the new tune. I will post back when weather breaks and. I ride bike.

#83 · (Edited)
It made 143hp and 83 torque
Thanks for sharing.
Make sense also as the usual difference from the manufacturers figures and the rear wheel measurement ranges from a 12~15% drop.
Going from Ducati's 152hp / 92ft-lb at the crank equates to 129~133hp / 78~81ft-lb at the rear wheel in stock form.

Those are awesome and reasonable numbers to expect given your SC-Projects Carbon Oval and Rapid Bike.
Would you have the chart printout by any chance?

#82 ·
I read that too, DarR. My dealer (who is excellent and a personal friend before he became a dealer) said he’s not had that problem since he’s been doing them (don’t know how long that’s been). Turns out that the Rapid Bike’s wiring harness may be bad. We’ll see and I’ll report back.

#84 ·
Rapid Bike and Power Commander do not seem to support the 2017 Monster 1200 yet (according to websites, anyway).

I did contact DynoJet (Power Commander) and their customer support confirmed that they donot support the 2017 Monster yet.

Do I have any good options for after market exhaust / ECU modification other than Termis?

I am not sure what an ECU "flash" does, but no one around here seems to be able to do that either.

#89 · (Edited)
Rapid Bike and Power Commander do not seem to support the 2017 Monster 1200 yet (according to websites, anyway).
Do I have any good options for after market exhaust / ECU modification other than Termis?
I am not sure what an ECU "flash" does, but no one around here seems to be able to do that either.
Sure you do. Rapidbike supports a Monster 1200 regardless of year. Rexxer will also flash your ECU.
Stay tuned as I'm getting mine flashed within a few weeks and will report.
Many after-market slip-on exhausts are available also.
http://www.sc-project.com/ducati_monster_1200_s_2017_e.htm
Personally, this looks a million times better than a set of Termis even if I have to pay more for it , which i don't as its cheaper than a Termi.

Attachments

#90 ·
Cool, thanks. Keep me posted. I was going to go with the SC Project until I received the following email from Dynojet regarding the Power Commander for the 2017 Monster....

No. Dynojet does not list or support any products for this bike model.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Chris Kelly
Dynojet Research Inc.
2191 Mendenhall Dr. Suite 105
North Las Vegas, NV 89081
1-800-992-4993

#91 ·
@DrFantastic
BTW, the carbon oval from SC-Project pictured above does not require a fuel controller.
I've been running with a similar one for over a year. Notwithstanding, the bike would run much better with an RB unit or a flash.
That's my next mod in a couple of weeks.

#96 · (Edited)
I got the bike back have not been able to ride it yet due to weather. It sounds awesome and the tuner said it runs great. I will try to post Dyno sheet later not sure how to do it waiting for some help. I had him do a custom tune individual cylinders before the custom tune it made 137hp and 77 torque that was the rapid bike out of the box. Then with the tune it made 143hp and 83 torque. When I get to ride it I will post back how it performs on the street.
@tsm427 Would you know which basemap you used on the RB where it made 137hp and 77 torque?
Reason for asking is to see how that compares to your SC-P without an RB should you have used the stock M1200 basemap.
Your RB unit did not yet have a chance to adapt as it needs a few hundred miles of various condition riding.

BTW guys, @tsm427 and I have the same bike "M1200R" and silencer "SC-Project Carbon Conic".
I'm expecting to receive my ECU from Rexxer following a flash shortly.
It was either the Rapidbike or a flash.
I chose the flash for this bike as I don't intend on changing anything else going forward.
FYI, I also have a Rapidbike installed on my Panigale as I intend to modify that bike further where the RB can adapt.

Should you guys be wondering, the flash was programed for:

-SC-Project
-OEM air filter
-Closed loop (O2) disabled
-Exhaust valve disabled
-DB baffles removed

I will post back to report.

#97 ·
Hey Dar R glad to see you sent your Ecu out. I’m interested to see how it performs keep us updated.I don’t know which base map my tuner used I will see if I can get that info. I did have a problem with the engine light and it took three times for him updating firmware to get it to stay off. The bike is working awesome, power is smooth right to redline no issues I’m very happpy with it. I have put about 2000 miles on it since we got the engine light out. Looking forward to here how you make out with Rexxer. Ride safe.

#98 ·
Yes, the Rapidbike is an awesome unit. I had some reservations at first but it did smooth the lean Mid-RPM surging of my Panigale's Race Mode.
Your engine light was probably "on" because the Rapidbike's Auto Adaptivity setting was initially set to start too low.
Here's a photo of my Rapidbike software connected to the Panigale. You will note that it states "stock" on the bottom area. Your's may state something else.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.