Slow to turnover on starting - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Slow to turnover on starting

Just a "does yours do this" question

Mine turns over rather slowly before starting - sometimes feels like it wont make it!

The bike is 1 year and 1000 miles old and battery is showing green on the trickle charger.

Trying to work out if mine is significantly worse and I need to check the battery and earth terminals are tight

Jon G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:09 PM

Can you shoot a video of it?

"As a boy I had monsters under my bed and now as an adult they live in the garage. Just can't get away from them." - Numbercruncher
Buhgaboo likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:19 PM

My take is on a cold start your symptom sounds not super normal unless the ambient temp is really low with 15/50w oil. In a situation I.e. during a ride from a stop light and you stall this sounds normal as the motor is hot. This happened to me on a couple of occasions. My charging system, etc. is fine as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 M1200S (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ambient temperature here is 3-5 degrees C at present.

It is also dark here from about 4pm now so I will try to take & post a video - but it may be at the limit of my tech ability

Jon G
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 04:25 PM

I have noticed this slow starting behavior almost since new, even though every time I start my 2014 the ambient temperature is at least 55F or higher. I also keep the battery at what the Battery Tender considers "full charge" (green lamp after a few minutes).

I purchased the bike new in April 2014 and it is on its original battery, with about 3900 miles on it.
IFRPilot likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 04:44 PM

How long between starts?

"As a boy I had monsters under my bed and now as an adult they live in the garage. Just can't get away from them." - Numbercruncher
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:18 PM

What's your battery voltage ? Check what you have at the starter, you really need 12 v at the post.

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:59 PM

Might want to do more that just check the voltage, load test might be more informative.

Also, check grounds, a typical Ducati thing but the 1200's ground is a little better nestled away.

Mine turns over pretty well cold (particularly compared to my Ducatis in the past).
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:49 AM

Garage
Mines (1200R) been struggling a bit now the weather in UK has got cold, even though the bike is stored in the garage.

It's not so much the turning over, more the initial cold running - need to hold the throttle once it's caught as it runs 'a bit rough' and won't keep going until a bit warmer without me helping it. After about 20-30 seconds, all's Ok.

I'm on the official Ducati battery conditioner as well and voltages / charging is all fine. Just doesn't like the cold - never been an issue since I had it from April.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwflDuc View Post
How long between starts?
Assuming that question was for me, I'd say I average one start per week during warm weather months. I have seven other bikes and ride them all on a more-or-less regular basis.

But I never take any of them out for less than about 60 miles at a time. Also, should one of the bikes sit for more than a couple of weeks, I hook up the Battery Tender until the light switches to green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in