Did anyone here replace his battery yet with lithium battery? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 7Likes

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 AM

lithium XS model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Thanks.

I read their operating manual for the lithium sx model and saw that their battery connection cabling does not allow for individual cell connections, nor does their literature include/describe cell balancing capability.

The Shorai battery has a cell balance port and their cabling connects to it. Their literature does not describe it in detail but it does include cell balancing as one of their charge process steps.

That may, or may not, be a consideration for some. Just one more decision to make and then wonder about.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:16 PM

Garage
Put a Shori in my 620. OEM weighed 8.9lbs, Shori 2.3. Even @ $189.00 it's the cheapest weight loss purchase yet by far. Since it's high on the bike you can really feel the difference.

If you use their charger (or another brand with the proper cables) you can cell balance. I haven't bothered yet, but will check it and if needed use my iCharger I have for my R/C stuff.

Last edited by bshinn; 10-28-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshinn View Post
Put a Shori in my 620. OEM weighed 8.9lbs, Shori 2.3. Even @ $189.00 it's the cheapest weight loss purchase yet by far. Since it's high on the bike you can really feel the difference.

If you use their charger (or another brand with the proper cables) you can cell balance. I haven't bothered yet, but will check it and if needed use my iCharger I have for my R/C stuff.
And there lies the rub. It's not high on the M1200/821. If fact it's about as mass centralized as you can get. I'll go with a lithium once the stock one dies but am in no hurry since the change to riding dynamics will be negligible.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
And there lies the rub. It's not high on the M1200/821. If fact it's about as mass centralized as you can get. I'll go with a lithium once the stock one dies but am in no hurry since the change to riding dynamics will be negligible.

That's the type of information I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Garage
Been using a Shorai in my 2002 750ie for a little over a year now. Been super happy with it. I ride the bike almost daily unless it is raining so I have not had the battery on a charge yet and most likely never will. Lithium batts store better then lead acid. I just lift the tank and pull the neg cable whenever I will not be riding for a while. Simple and it works. Battery location is similar to the 620, high up under the gas tank.

Only problem was a few days ago. It did not want to turn over in the morning due to cold weather (31F). Turned the head light for a min or so to warm/prime the battery and it fired up second try. Has no problems in the low 40F range.

Last edited by QuattroCreep; 10-28-2016 at 02:32 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Garage
That's all you have to do. Li batteries don't like high current draw when cold. Just turn the key on and gear up, buy the time you're done the bike will be fine. Trying to start when they are cold will eventually kill them.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 04:05 PM

If you have the money and WANT to spend it, shorai is the most common and may be the best in lithium. I rather spend less on a good product that has proven itself to me. The deltran runs around $110 on amazon. I've had it on 2 bikes and never had any issues. I've never had to charge it either, but if I did, I'd just use the regular battery tender charger. It charges the battery the same way that your bike charges it, so I don't see a need to have an expensive charger that's battery specific. But again, if you have the money and you feel it will bring you peace of mind, shorai is a good pick.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
iec

So...Shorai or battery tender? wich one is better?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 04:33 AM

Garage
My 1200S came with a bad battery, the dealer probably had it in storage for too long and killed the battery. I replaced it with a W Standard lithium battery, they make great lithium batteries for Ducati.

http://www.wstandardusa.com/

Other than weight, one major difference between regular and lithium battery is the cold start performance. With regular battery, you have to hold the start button for a few seconds before the engine would start. But with the lithium, one short press and the engine will fire right up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode