If you just want the solution without the methodology here's what you need and look at the photos.
3) A Ram Mount cradle (with ball) for your device
My objective is to mount my unit as flush as possible and in direct line of sight without blocking the instrument display. I have tried many RamMount base pieces in various locations.
On that note,
1) the four handlebar bolts cannot be used on a 1200R as they interfered with the steering damper or their use blocks the instrument view.
2) The center part of the handlebar itself can't be used either for the same reasons.
3) Various clutch side bolts can be used but your unit will not be in direct line of sight. The esthetic's is also questionable.
4) The steering damper pivot screw rotates on two "0" rings. BTW, I've tried it and for me, that's a no go.
5) This leaves us with two forward locations: a) clamping to the steering damper or b) using its right side bolt.
With the exception of the Ram EZ-Mount any clamp base attached to the steering damper will elevates your unit 3"and dead center. Not good. The Ram EZ-Mount however, is very flush but is held to the steering damper by two zip ties which could break or rotate. Consequently, the steering damper's right side bolt is my preferred location as a base.
I have tried a few ram ball base pieces where the best choice as previously mentioned, was this one:
Moreover, it fits right side up and upside down where the latter will position your unit 1" both forward and lower. Your preference may be determined by the size of your device. Hope this helps.