Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Ducati Monster 1200 (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-1200/)
-   -   M1200 weird noise (?) (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-1200/334242-m1200-weird-noise.html)

Rosso Classico 10-13-2016 02:42 PM

M1200 weird noise (?)

'Evening boys

You know the feeling when as soon as you get a new toy you start scrutinizing everything about it ? :grin well, here it goes :

I keep hearing guys this strange noise that it's driving me mad, remember when we were kids and we'd put a card on the rear wheel of our bicycles ? It's like a constant "HHHHhhhhhRRrrrrrrRRRRrrrr" for a lack of a better explanation and it's coming from the front of the bike.
At first i thought it was water cooler breaking through the wind creating this high pitched sound (or something not screwed properly in like the plastics from the water cooler) but apparently it's not - my mechanic took it out for a ride today and said it was normal(?) and it's because i come from a 2V air-cooled motor that i find this sound strange.
Well, thing is, i don't remember the 848, m821 and Diavel (2nd gen) that i've also ridden making this strange sound, then again, the motors are different so...

These videos "feature" said sound - strange thing is, i'm not sure it's the same sound or wind noise that's getting picked by the action-cam :

^ same guy, camera mounted on the same spot and there's difference in sound between the scrambler and the M821...

and

https://youtu.be/SOxMEwqSFjI?t=4m

I find it kind of worrying to be honest, and while the warranty is there in case anything happens...

"Too long, didn't read" version : Strange "hhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound emanating from the front of the bike, mechanic says it's normal but i still find it weird.

Cheers [thumbsup]

Radracer6 10-13-2016 06:34 PM

Can you hear the sound with the bike on and parked? If so record it. Can use a screwdriver as stethoscope to try to locate it too

Rosso Classico 10-26-2016 03:45 PM

Well, after watching about a friggin' gazillion videos on youtube and also reading various posts on various forums in various languages :Dseems like that noise i described is...normal.
Shit's driving me crazy though as it's high-pitched, no prob after the 100+km/h mark though as wind-noise takes care of that :grin

My mechanic told me the other day that it's just the engine noise of said motor and also jokingly said "man, no 2 same Ducati engines make the same exact noise" - specifically referring to the TS 11' motor derived form the Multi1200 after having other owners asking about engine noise(s).

Again, i've ridden mostly air-cooled Ducatis so this seems strange to me (the noise that is), wish i could find an MTS1200 or M1200 to test-ride as to compare the noise...

Oh well...

omegarider 10-26-2016 06:22 PM

Rosso, wear some ear plugs, problem solved. :laugh

j/k man :grin, I think I know the sound that you're referring to and I believe it's normal, especially after you started this thread, because my bike makes the same sound too. At first I thought maybe something came loose, but my mechanic checked everything and found nothing. Anyway, I'm learning to ignore it.

:devil

Rosso Classico 10-26-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegarider (Post 3069714)
Rosso, wear some ear plugs, problem solved. :laugh

https://giphy.com/gifs/gVoBC0SuaHStq/html5

j/k man :grin, I think I know the sound that you're referring to and I believe it's normal, especially after you started this thread, because my bike makes the same sound too. At first I thought maybe something came loose, but my mechanic checked everything and found nothing. Anyway, I'm learning to ignore it.

:devil

Omega, i think i love you :grin

Funny, my first thought was also that - that something came loose...
Since it's apparently normal...guess i'll get used to it, it is bloody annoying though, it gives me a damned headache...

Oh well, Ducatis man, what can you do ? ;)

Bono61 10-26-2016 09:45 PM

Although I read that the noise comes from the front of the bike ..... I had a rumbling noise and it was the rear pegs outside metal washer ..... solved it with dental floss in between the washer and the frame ..... couple of loops and a knot
Maybe just maybe

Cheers

Rosso Classico 10-27-2016 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bono61 (Post 3069762)
Although I read that the noise comes from the front of the bike ..... I had a rumbling noise and it was the rear pegs outside metal washer ..... solved it with dental floss in between the washer and the frame ..... couple of loops and a knot
Maybe just maybe

Cheers

Thanks Bono, appreciate the tip, will give the rear pegs a looksie ;)

cheers

Rosso Classico 10-29-2016 06:50 PM

Ok guys, it's not the pegs.

I'm not an OCD type of dude, it's just that this is the weirdest sounding bike i've ever ridden and i'm actually very curious now as to why it sounds like this - i know, different motors = different sounds, still, the Diavel that shares the same motor doesn't have this sound - at least that's what i remember after having test ridden it...

In the 2 videos below you can clearly hear the sound that i'm describing, it's a constant rattle-like sound which seems to emanate from the front(?)

http://youtu.be/hDZizvAq3Y4

and

http://youtu.be/jzpT1xKm9DI

^ start the video at the 2:28 mark

They're both 821's but the sound's exactly the same, besides the (usual) engine noise there's also this constant "chhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" rattle-like sound - thing sounds like a friggin' tractor... :D

Basically gents, could anyone with engine/mechanical knowledge be kind as to explain why the motor sounds like this and why bikes with the same motor don't produce this sound ? The Diavel at least, never ridden an MTS1200 so i wouldn't know.
Unless, again, it's not the motor and said sound's produced from something else - like the huge water cooler for example ?

Really curious about this, apparently it's normal so my mind is at ease, still, i'd like to know the reason.

Cheers

Deano747 10-29-2016 08:43 PM

Listened to all the videos, I hear the noise you are concerned about. Mine makes the same, but i've never considered it abnormal.

Maybe it's the difference in the way the exhaust is set up from the Diavel.

Termi's & earplugs............

Sonic Duck 10-30-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano747 (Post 3070538)
Listened to all the videos, I hear the noise you are concerned about. Mine makes the same, but i've never considered it abnormal.

Maybe it's the difference in the way the exhaust is set up from the Diavel.

Termi's & earplugs............

I can't figure out what noise y'all are talking about but I was thinking maybe it was intake noise and the difference is there since the Monster just has the covered hole thing under the tank while the Diavel has air runners (dinky as they may be).