Vibration Update - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Vibration Update

In my first ride thread, I had mentioned about the vibration and my hands getting numb after a 50 km ride. So this past weekend I went on a 495 km ride and this is what I noticed. When I was staying at constant speed or rpm, the bike feels pretty smooth without much vibration, and the mirrors were quite clear without vibrating as well. But when I was accelerating, this was where I felt a lot of engine vibration. Is this normal?

If I'm cruising around, then it's not really a problem. However, during aggressive riding where I accelerate and put the engine on load a lot, then I will feel the vibration often.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 03:47 PM

Οmega, lots of good advice from oldndumb, philB and Co. in the other thread...

It's a 1200cc twin we're talking about here, it's gonna vibrate, no 2 ways about it my good man.
I'm with oldndumb, you're just death-gripping the handlebars, vibrations are going to transfer to your hands, i'm not sure exactly what you're trying to "troubleshoot" here.

How's your riding position/posture ? are you cracking your elbows like you should (at high speeds) ? Are you relaxed while riding or are you giving the handlebars the death-grip ? What's your age ? Do you exercise ?
kind of difficult to do a...tele-diagnosis but...judging by the other thread you opened and this one here methinks it's a just the good ol' case of the death-grip, now, taking into account that this is also a big 1200 L-twin motor we're talking about and...yeah, no surprises there (regarding the vibrations).

If this is your first L-twin (which i think it is from what you mentioned in your other topic), well, you're not the first one to complain about vibrations

Personally, after having ridden my previous air-cooled 2V Duc for thousands of miles the M1200 feels like...a limousine, i kid you not friend, you can't even begin to imagine the difference between the "feel" of the air-cooled 2V motor and this newer liquid-cooled 4V one, it's like...night and day, thank God you didn't buy a 696/796/1100 'cause, yeah, the vibrations at lower RPM's especially would have murdered your hands...and feet...

On a more serious tone, try some gel-grips, try to stay relaxed on the bike, don't death-grip the bars and report back with your findings .

Cheers
Lylas likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Rosso

Thanks for the advices. Yeah this is my first L2, all my previous bikes were I4s. Trust me man, I'm not dead gripping the handlebars. I've been riding since the 90s, and I'm in my 30s now, I'm not a pro rider by all means, but I believe I have decent experience though. I actually stopped riding for a few years before jumping on this L2, so maybe this does give me a little problem adopting the bike. I guess I just need more time to adopt. Also, some exercise will help, I definitely don't exercise enough these days, I felt like I got punched multiple times after that 495 km ride.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:40 PM

A couple of things that come right to mind... It will improve once it's fully broken in and make sure you don't lug the engine, keep the revs in the sweet spot. Ducati has done an incredible job with this motor and they get better with time

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2014 M1200S (Red)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromON View Post
A couple of things that come right to mind... It will improve once it's fully broken in and make sure you don't lug the engine, keep the revs in the sweet spot. Ducati has done an incredible job with this motor and they get better with time

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks, Tom. Yeah, I'm hoping it will get smoother once it's broken in. I didn't lug the engine, I kept her between 4-7K, with occasionally up to 8-10K for short intervals. I'm not too worried about the engine, but the gearbox is another story. Between 3rd to 5th gear, sometimes it hit neutral. My buddy has a 2015 Diavel and he said it's the same for him. They said it's normal for Ducati gearboxes. Now he has a little over 10K km on her and it's gotten better.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegarider View Post
Hey Rosso

Thanks for the advices. Yeah this is my first L2, all my previous bikes were I4s. Trust me man, I'm not dead gripping the handlebars. I've been riding since the 90s, and I'm in my 30s now, I'm not a pro rider by all means, but I believe I have decent experience though. I actually stopped riding for a few years before jumping on this L2, so maybe this does give me a little problem adopting the bike. I guess I just need more time to adopt. Also, some exercise will help, I definitely don't exercise enough these days, I felt like I got punched multiple times after that 495 km ride.

Cheers,

Yeah strengthen your core/back so you aren't putting as much pressure on your arms/hands. Also grip buddies help with the vibes, and heavy bar end mirrors/weights dampen it a bit.
Brianq103 likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Yeah strengthen your core/back so you aren't putting as much pressure on your arms/hands. Also grip buddies help with the vibes, and heavy bar end mirrors/weights dampen it a bit.
Thanks, I will try your advice about strengthen my core/back.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:38 AM

Location: Houston, Harris County, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Known Universe
Garage
hey- come visit me at take my 1981 ironhead out for a spin!!

you be begging to get back on that Cadillac 1200.. TRUST ME you have NOT felt vibration until your mirror screws wont stay tight! but then after while you realize it doesn't matter where they are point because you cant see shit out them anyway. I imagine its on the level of launching a spaceship vibration- no mirrors on there either (not a coincidence)

I cant imagine riding a bike that doesn't dance, ive got to FEEL when to shift. and that vibration also helps me determine how much toque I have left in my current gear (in case I'm in a tight situation)

yeah, my hands get numb sometimes- that's my reminder to relax and stretch. I can stretch my left and anytime. with my right hand, I get a really good twist on it, pull the clutch, let go of the right grip and shake/lower/stretch/squeeze/warm my right hand until I get back down to cruising speed- and i'm good to go (its a pretty quick process)

also, breathing out of my mouth help me relax when I'm tensed up from a pucker moment or super high cross winds. - not questioning your riding hours here, but we all get tense sometimes, this is just what I do

one last thing- don't think I didn't notice that you stole my location information...

If your first reaction is to press the horn, this isn't for you...
2013 796 ABS DP -
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucNukem View Post

also, breathing out of my mouth

I just knew when he said ironhead that mouthbreather would soon follow.
Lylas likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucNukem View Post
There is a reason why I don't own a Harley.

Quote:
you be begging to get back on that Cadillac 1200.. TRUST ME you have NOT felt vibration until your mirror screws wont stay tight! but then after while you realize it doesn't matter where they are point because you cant see shit out them anyway. I imagine its on the level of launching a spaceship vibration- no mirrors on there either (not a coincidence)
Funny you mentioned about lose mirrors. My buddy on a Diavel, one of the mirrors came lose on that day, lol. At that moment I didn't think it came lose because of the vibration. But now it all makes sense.

Quote:
I cant imagine riding a bike that doesn't dance, ive got to FEEL when to shift. and that vibration also helps me determine how much toque I have left in my current gear (in case I'm in a tight situation)

yeah, my hands get numb sometimes- that's my reminder to relax and stretch. I can stretch my left and anytime. with my right hand, I get a really good twist on it, pull the clutch, let go of the right grip and shake/lower/stretch/squeeze/warm my right hand until I get back down to cruising speed- and i'm good to go (its a pretty quick process)

also, breathing out of my mouth help me relax when I'm tensed up from a pucker moment or super high cross winds. - not questioning your riding hours here, but we all get tense sometimes, this is just what I do

one last thing- don't think I didn't notice that you stole my location information...
I didn't steal your location, I'm just taking over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode