How to avoid tank dents - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

How to avoid tank dents

I'm riding a M1200 and after reading horror stories in here about how easily the tank gets damaged i'd like to get some precautions...

I was thinking of :

- Adjusting the handlebar stops
- putting different risers (?)
- Definitely not putting bar-end mirrors this time as they act as a lever upon impact (no matter how minimal) by forcing the handlebar even more towards the tank.

I'm talking about simple/silly, static drops here gents and not get-offs in which case nothing can save the tank (amongst other things).
Any tips ?

I know that PhilB has lived with his tank dents for many years (and proud of it) but i'm just too anal about that, plus, knowing the costs of getting a dent repaired (which also includes repainting the tank and buying/applying those over-expensive Ducati stickers/logos)...yeah, i'd like to avoid that if possible in case of a silly spill when parking the bike etc.

Cheers

PS : this is what i liked about the previous-gen monsters, in case of tank damage...you could just buy an OEM tank panel and be done with it, plastics are nice in some cases
philb likes this.

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 09-24-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:11 PM

Yeah there were pluses and minuses to the plastic panels. I like the metal better until I drop it lol. What I didn't like about the plastic is it scrunch around sometimes which made it feel cheap.

I don't have any tips for avoiding tank dents. I have done it on my previous bike and you are right. I would just replace the panel and be done. However, I would like to think it won't happen on this one . I'm certainly not going to avoid doing mods I like such as bad end mirrors just to avoid it. Best tip is don't drop it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classico Rosso likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 696DCRider View Post
Yeah there were pluses and minuses to the plastic panels. I like the metal better until I drop it lol. What I didn't like about the plastic is it scrunch around sometimes which made it feel cheap.

I don't have any tips for avoiding tank dents. I have done it on my previous bike and you are right. I would just replace the panel and be done. However, I would like to think it won't happen on this one . I'm certainly not going to avoid doing mods I like such as bad end mirrors just to avoid it. Best tip is don't drop it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rider, regarding the bar end mirrors, i remember the first time i dropped my bike (right side) the frame sliders did their job and nothing was scratched - besides some very minor scuffs on the right OEM mirror.
The second (and last) time i droppped it (left side) i had some bar ends
installed and...the handlebar made contact with the tank making a small dent/scuff to it.Frame slider, left mirror AND tank got scuffed.
Both were static drops (i.e: 0mp/h) and there was a clear difference between having and not having bar end mirrors installed, this is why i'm mentioning that i'm gonna go bar-end-less () this time around, trying to prevent and/or minimize future damage basically...

Cheerio

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 09-24-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 03:34 AM

The best thing I have found for preventing tank dents is to not drop it.
hyperspd7 likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjin View Post
The best thing I have found for preventing tank dents is to not drop it.
You must be new here Matt, amirite ? Snarky responses are exclusive to yours truly, leave the trolling to someone that can handle it better (me)

On a (more) serious note : Frame sliders on the previous gen Monsters did their job easily since they were "narrow"/slimmer bikes, it's a whole different story though regarding the M821/1200 with their humongous water coolers and tanks.
Now, since the water cooler is what will hit/touch the ground first (followed by the tank in 2nd place)...
New to the 1200, looking for some precautions to avoid that.

Thank you kindly

PS : Matty, behave or i'll come over there and castrate you
JTP likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico Rosso View Post
You must be new here Matt, amirite ? Snarky responses are exclusive to yours truly, leave the trolling to someone that can handle it better (me)

On a (more) serious note : Frame sliders on the previous gen Monsters did their job easily since they were "narrow"/slimmer bikes, it's a whole different story though regarding the M821/1200 with their humongous water coolers and tanks.
Now, since the water cooler is what will hit/touch the ground first (followed by the tank in 2nd place)...
New to the 1200, looking for some precautions to avoid that.

Thank you kindly

PS : Matty, behave or i'll come over there and castrate you

(personally I went with good full coverage insurance, list price of a new tank far exceeds my deductible and the payout will easily pay for a carbon tank from Shift-Tech )
JTP and Classico Rosso like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post

(personally I went with good full coverage insurance, list price of a new tank far exceeds my deductible and the payout will easily pay for a carbon tank from Shift-Tech )
I just got a dent in on my tank and I'm considering getting the shift tech carbon tank.

Are you familiar with any of the trade offs of a carbon tank?

Obviously it's lighter. But I've heard that it's more prone to leaking over time.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post

Οh how i missed ya Sonic...love ya buddy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanrjones View Post
I just got a dent in on my tank and I'm considering getting the shift tech carbon tank.

Obviously it's lighter. But I've heard that it's more prone to leaking over time.

Aaaand...this is what i'm talking about, sheeeeiiit...
How did it happen Nathan ? Static drop ? Did you had any sliders installed ? bard-end mirrors by any chance ?
Thanks

Swear to sweet baby Jesus, i'm gonna install 1m-long risers to avoid this...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico Rosso View Post
Οh how i missed ya Sonic...love ya buddy !

Aaaand...this is what i'm talking about, sheeeeiiit...
How did it happen Nathan ? Static drop ? Did you had any sliders installed ? bard-end mirrors by any chance ?
Thanks

Swear to sweet baby Jesus, i'm gonna install 1m-long risers to avoid this...
I got rear ended and it pushed me over onto my right side fairly hard.

I have bar ends mirrors and Motivation sliders. The sliders might have prevented my bike from getting totalled, but definitely didn't stop it from getting damaged. My exhaust and headers got scraped, my mirror broke, the tank is dented, my drag bar seems very slightly bent but it may just be the steering stop got dented, and the slider has a tiny scratch on it.

I think they made the sliders too short. A half inch longer and it may have prevented all damage.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanrjones View Post

Well the leaking is more a back in the bad old days sort of deals...when the tanks were more made for racing customers than the average motoring consumer. We'd drain the tanks after every weekend but then again, wasn't pump gas in them either.

That being said, call Guido, he can answer all your questions and stands behind his stuff (which is why I'd get it from him, I know where to find him )

In my case, God forbid it becomes something I have to do, with spending that much of the insurance company's bank, I'd Caswell it just in case before putting it on.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-super...-gas-tank.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode