Hard shift 1200s - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Hard shift 1200s

I am not new to ducatis having owned a few them and realize some of them have issues getting into neutral and some have a slightly notchy hard shifting tranny but never really bothered me. The issue with this bike however is the hardest shifting in the low gears I've had. The shifting is really hard down into second and first. Sometimes to the point where I'm putting a lot of weight into the shifter and it just won't go into second. Bike only has 1400 mi I was hoping it would be broken in more by now. I've bled the clutch and this hasn't changed anything, do you think an oil change could help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 PM

My 821 was impossible to get into neutral for about the first 2000 miles or so. I also had a ton of issues with false neutrals when trying to shift between higher gears.

I'm at just over 6000 now and the transmission doesn't give me any problems whatsoever anymore. I hit neutral every single time without issue and no more hard shifts. It took some time, but everything sorted out over time.

My bike obviously has a cable clutch instead of hydraulic, but I would expect the transmission break in to be similar.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:55 AM

Garage
I'm only on my 1st Ducati (Monster 1200R) and had issues getting into neutral for a while and the box felt stiff.

I can honestly say that after a few hundred miles, the box loosen up nicely becoming every smooth and neutrals are now as expected.

Obviously my bike is a newer model, and I know they modified the gearbox in my bike, but a few thousand miles doesn't sound right for any bike to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
I have just under 6000KM on the bike and when it's cold I can't get it to go into neutral while at a stop to save my life! I have to either turn it off (then neutral magically appears!) or hold the clutch in and just grin and bare it! I will often be able to find neutral as I'm rolling to where I want to stop, but not always. I figured this was Ducati's way of making me stay in gear at stop lights!

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Yea neutral is an issue but are you guys also having probs knocking it down to second and first when stopping?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM

Garage
My first 1700 miles was trouble free with shifting or finding neutral. Last week after riding somewhat hard in the canyons I started to have issues downshifting to 2nd, 1st gear and finding neutral. The clutch lever also started to feel very mushy!

My friend with a 1199 Panigale told me this is a known issue with the clutch getting air bubbles. Anybody heard of this?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post
My first 1700 miles was trouble free with shifting or finding neutral. Last week after riding somewhat hard in the canyons I started to have issues downshifting to 2nd, 1st gear and finding neutral. The clutch lever also started to feel very mushy!

My friend with a 1199 Panigale told me this is a known issue with the clutch getting air bubbles. Anybody heard of this?
Yup. Search it; welcome to slave cylinder hell! Warranty situation, though, so maybe just purgatory.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
Yup. Search it; welcome to slave cylinder hell! Warranty situation, though, so maybe just purgatory.
Or master. The slave is #1 on the hit list since it used to be so common for them to be...less than stellar. I wouldn't immediately assume it's true for the new Monsters.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

I've bled the clutch with no change will see if miles on the bike helps
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:29 PM

Garage
2016 Monster 1200R w/~3500 miles.

This bike has exceptionally hard shifting going down from 2 to 1. Finding neutral while stopped at a light is impossible. Finding neutral while coasting towards a stoplight can be done, but not with ease.

While the bike is underway, it shifts smoothly & fluidly going from 1 through 6.

All shifting linkage works smoothly without any binding.

Bled the clutch at the perch, no change.

Bled the slave, no change.

Flushed the clutch fluid, and bled and bled, and bled. Still no change.

Adjusted the clutch lever further/closer to the grip, via the thumbscrew. Still nothing.

I understand that Ducatis are notorious for having difficulty finding neutral, but this is a whole other level of frustration.

Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions?

Will an aftermarket/Oberon slave help this issue?

Thanks

2016 Monster 1200 R
2018 959 Corse
2018 Scrambler 1100 Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode