Hard shift 1200s - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
2016 Monster 1200R w/~3500 miles.

This bike has exceptionally hard shifting going down from 2 to 1. Finding neutral while stopped at a light is impossible. Finding neutral while coasting towards a stoplight can be done, but not with ease.

While the bike is underway, it shifts smoothly & fluidly going from 1 through 6.

All shifting linkage works smoothly without any binding.

Bled the clutch at the perch, no change.

Bled the slave, no change.

Flushed the clutch fluid, and bled and bled, and bled. Still no change.

Adjusted the clutch lever further/closer to the grip, via the thumbscrew. Still nothing.

I understand that Ducatis are notorious for having difficulty finding neutral, but this is a whole other level of frustration.

Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions?

Will an aftermarket/Oberon slave help this issue?

Thanks
I only just started to see an improvement in finding neutral in the last couple of rides. My bike has about 7500 KM. Part of my issue, I feel, is switching back and forth with my decidedly agricultural-shifting Harley. The Monster definitely has a particular pressure that it likes to find neutral. Now if I could just get the F'ing back brake to work worth a crap!

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
I've got 57k miles on a m821...I have trouble getting neutral when the oil is cold but only then...also broke the shift return spring @ 39k miles through normal wear...can't say I noticed any symptoms other than a metal bit on the drain plug...I still hit false neutrals and find that they never go away ..you just get accustomed to shifting in a certain manner

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 03-29-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:12 PM

Mine is a 2014 base model 1200. Hard to find neutral, epecially when engine is cold. Passed 10,000 mile last weekend and the false neutrals are much less than before. I think the trans has broken in, and hopefully my foot has been trained. It helps to wear a Ducati shirt.
Buhgaboo and 350LCjohnny like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 PM

To anyone having a hard time finding neutral - if you DO NOT have any problems when starting off in first gear with the clutch - stop looking any further.
Go to a authorized Ducati dealer to have the clutch basket oil pressure adjusted (there is too much oil pressure inside the clutch basket ).
There is a special tool with a pressure gauge that will be inserted in place of the clutch slave pushrod. There is a pressure adjustment screw just above and behind the front drive sprocket.

NOTE - do not attempt to do this on your own - you will probably end up with transmission and clutch damage.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:44 PM

Hurray - you found a service manual - now you need the proper tools to adjust the pressure
RadRodriguez likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:37 AM

I’m finding this an issue also.. I’m at the lights going I can’t do this any softer to get N. So have to go to service and they charge then hundreds 😞 what are ppl being charged then for the “adjustment” how long will it take? Can 28mm slave help? Whilst I’m at it as if I’m Paying for the adjustment I may as well get this also? TIA

Aussie that is New to Ducati, so im learning new ways from the Japanese 4s
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:15 AM

I found online Ducati fix it under warranty clutch pressure adjust only they can do.
Also oil not being the shell can play a part in this as Ducati noted Motul can play a part to not getting N.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89975D07-6105-430E-B39E-782F2526CC24_1562584492694.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	220192  

Aussie that is New to Ducati, so im learning new ways from the Japanese 4s
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:07 PM

I'm at 3200 km now and it's definitely better than let's say around 1500 km's. It used to be that it was almost impossible to find neutral while the engine was running and occasionally I had to use force to select 1st or 2nd gear. I haven't had that issue for the last 1000 km's. Now, 9/10 times when going from 2nd to 1st I go past neutral and 9/10 times I do manage to find neutral when going from 1st to 2nd. I also still have the occasional false neutral between 4-5 and 5-6 but it feels like that has gotten less as well, although that could be because I'm more used to the gearbox now.

@Kidnplay01's comment is interesting though, I'm pretty sure my dealership uses Motul (will check next oil service). Is there anyone with Shell oil who still has the same issues?

2018 Monster 1200 R

Last edited by Alain46; 07-24-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:53 PM

There are special tools that are inserted into the clutch slave cylinder port to measure the oil pressure that is in the clutch ( if the pressure is too high - it results in a clutch that stays partially engaged and this is what causes the hard to find neutral with the engine running. Below is a example of clutch oil pressure for 2015 to 2018 models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati Clutch pressure specs.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	220274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode