1200s stripe or 1200s version - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

1200s stripe or 1200s version

Hi this weekend im gonna get my monster, i want the 2016 monster 1200s red, but my dealer has offered me the stripe version new at the 1200s price, now i know the stripe only got out in 2015 and get removed in 2016, the thing is my dealer assured me it was a 2016 model and that my bill and papers gonna say it's a 2016, so, what do you think, the stripe is new, flawless and gorgeous and i love the style and that upper plate holder instead the one hugging the tire, please it's urgent, this weekend is the deadline to decide. I left you a picture while still it's putting together,there are no mirrors and windshield yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457486296860.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	189193   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457486314058.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	189201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 PM

I just picked up a left over 2015 stripe and love it. Ducati is giving the dealers some help on those to get rid of them. The "bestest and latest" crowd are going after the 1200R, so they are clearing out the old inventory.

I believe only the 821 stripe is offered as an actual 2016. So your dealer is probably offering a left over 2015. I was specifically looking for that (a left over) and got a great deal. If it is new, why do you care what year it is?

Since you can apparently see the bike, and you are concerned, look at the VIN tag. That will tell you if it is a 2015. If it wasn't, I'd actually be more concerned than if it was.

_______
Smilodon
V V
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 AM

I have a Monster 1200 S Stripe, and I would not get something else for now. As far as I know there is no difference between a 2015 and 2016 Monster S, so you are not missing any "updates" but you will get for free the DP plate holder, limited edition paint, carbon belt cover, etc... so for me it's a no brainer, go for it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 PM

I'd opt for the Stripe if its the same price as the "S". You'll be getting some CF bits, mini fairing, tail tidy.... Unless you don't like the actual stripe on the bike...

2015 Monster 1200s Stripe
2016 Honda Africa Twin
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
I'd opt for the Stripe if its the same price as the "S". You'll be getting some CF bits, mini fairing, tail tidy.... Unless you don't like the actual stripe on the bike...
I love the stripe, only im not getting the aluminum tiny plate holder but a larger plastic one, still better than the tire plate, allntje other things are there, yes is tje same price and its a new bike
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFR View Post
I have a Monster 1200 S Stripe, and I would not get something else for now. As far as I know there is no difference between a 2015 and 2016 Monster S, so you are not missing any "updates" but you will get for free the DP plate holder, limited edition paint, carbon belt cover, etc... so for me it's a no brainer, go for it !

I dont know why im not getting the aluminum tiny plate holder but a larger plastic one, still better than the tire plate, allntje other things are there, yes is tje same price and its a new bike, im drom Mexico, maybe is that , plus, I've seen many pictures of stock stripes on the Internet with that plate holder im getting. Guess im gonna take the stripe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macacomonster1200S View Post
I dont know why im not getting the aluminum tiny plate holder but a larger plastic one, still better than the tire plate, allntje other things are there, yes is tje same price and its a new bike, im drom Mexico, maybe is that , plus, I've seen many pictures of stock stripes on the Internet with that plate holder im getting. Guess im gonna take the stripe
As far as the plate holder goes, it's a little confusing (or at least it was to me). This is the best I was able to find out.

When you get the plate holder as a part from Ducati, it is a "kit" with extensions, euro and US-style plate holders, etc. When you get it as part of a stripe, it is setup for your domestic market rules.

In the case US (not sure about Mex), you get the billet bracket (the black part attached to the actual bike. A composite (plastic and metal) extension to meet DOT plate location rules, a US style plate holder (also composite), and a set of standard bulb-type rear turn signals (in Europe, you would get LED turn signals but I don't think the part is homologated the states).

So, what you can do is remove the composite extension and then you have the plate and turn signals mounted directly to the aluminum piece. You just have to re-bundle the wires for the shorter length and get a few bolts to attach (the extension is threaded but the mount is not). Also, if you don't want the turn-signal mounts for some reason, those can be removed from the "kit" as well.

As a bonus, the fancy screws they use to bolt on the extension can be used as license plate bolts!

_______
Smilodon
V V
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
As far as the plate holder goes, it's a little confusing (or at least it was to me). This is the best I was able to find out.

When you get the plate holder as a part from Ducati, it is a "kit" with extensions, euro and US-style plate holders, etc. When you get it as part of a stripe, it is setup for your domestic market rules.

In the case US (not sure about Mex), you get the billet bracket (the black part attached to the actual bike. A composite (plastic and metal) extension to meet DOT plate location rules, a US style plate holder (also composite), and a set of standard bulb-type rear turn signals (in Europe, you would get LED turn signals but I don't think the part is homologated the states).

So, what you can do is remove the composite extension and then you have the plate and turn signals mounted directly to the aluminum piece. You just have to re-bundle the wires for the shorter length and get a few bolts to attach (the extension is threaded but the mount is not). Also, if you don't want the turn-signal mounts for some reason, those can be removed from the "kit" as well.

As a bonus, the fancy screws they use to bolt on the extension can be used as license plate bolts!
Oooooh I'll look into it, thabk you so much, i didn't think it was possible to minimize that long plate holder, that is what i want to do, could you take some example pictures? Im not very gifted mechanically speaking, thank you again mate.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macacomonster1200S View Post
Oooooh I'll look into it, thabk you so much, i didn't think it was possible to minimize that long plate holder, that is what i want to do, could you take some example pictures? Im not very gifted mechanically speaking, thank you again mate.
I've just been doing that this week (as well as installing various crash protectors), and I did take some "OK" pictures, but I'll try and take some better ones. When I get the camera and computer together, I'll definitely post them here.

It is pretty simple. You need 4 nuts that match up to the existing allen-head screws (I used aircraft-style nylock nuts) and a few wire-ties to re-bundle the signal and tag light wires. Tools required would be small wire cutters to cut the existing wire bundles and an allen wrench that fits the existing bolts.

_______
Smilodon
V V
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
I've just been doing that this week (as well as installing various crash protectors), and I did take some "OK" pictures, but I'll try and take some better ones. When I get the camera and computer together, I'll definitely post them here.

It is pretty simple. You need 4 nuts that match up to the existing allen-head screws (I used aircraft-style nylock nuts) and a few wire-ties to re-bundle the signal and tag light wires. Tools required would be small wire cutters to cut the existing wire bundles and an allen wrench that fits the existing bolts.
OK, I'll be waiting for the pictures man, take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode