Oil Leak - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Oil Leak

Ahh, just last week I was proudly telling a friend how my Ducati does not leak oil much to my surprise. After riding with him yesterday he mentioned he could smell and oil burning smell while riding behind me

After we stopped we both inspected our bikes and when I looked under mine I saw that the oil filter and the bottom of the sump was wet with oil. Note that my bike does not leave any oil on the ground even when parked for long periods in my garage. I gave the bike a closer inspection when I got home and it appears to be coming from the oil filter. I know I'm seeing oil on the bottom so it could literally be coming from any where then running down a along some unseen crevasse.

So the question is, should I bring it in under warranty? Will they fix an oil leak under warranty? I did have the dealer do the first service just in case I had some warranty issue, I'm at 2,500 miles now. I was going to clean it up and pull the oil filter and inspect it, but I don't want them to point the finger at me no matter how simple it is. I'm guessing that they didn't leave the old gasket stuck to the engine and put the new filter on. I've done that before on a small block Chevy and it was apparent right away.... The oil filter is still snug.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by EEEliminator; 01-25-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:09 PM

The Ducati OEM filter sucks. I had the basically the same thing happen. The gasket separates from the filter and it leaks.

Just pull the filter off, replace it with another one like a KN-153 and top off the oil.
Mik and EEEliminator like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:11 PM

I had a very similar problem a few months ago and the dealer said it was a defective oil filter which they had been seeing a lot recently, must have been a bad batch from the manufacturer. 100% covered under warranty and I even got a free oil change out of it. I normally would have just taken a look at it myself in the garage but have previously had oil leak issues due to a different dealer overfilling the oil during the 1st service so I wanted to make sure everything was documented by Ducati.
EEEliminator likes this.

Last edited by andrewellis91; 01-25-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewellis91 View Post
I had a very similar problem a few months ago and the dealer said it was a defective oil filter which they had been seeing a lot recently, must have been a bad batch from the manufacturer. 100% covered under warranty and I even got a free oil change out of it. I normally would have just taken a look at it myself in the garage but have previously had oil leak issues due to a different dealer overfilling the oil during the 1st service so I wanted to make sure everything was documented by Ducati.
Thanks for the input guys, I'll have the dealer look at it for the same reason.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Got it back last night, dealer said it was the filter and replaced it at no charge. They said they test rode it and checked for leaks. However, it seems as though they just wiped the oil down with out using any sort of solvent. Everything still had a coating of oil, how are you supposed to identify a slow leak like that!! I cleaned the whole underside with brake clean later, now its bone dry and oil free. Hopefully no more oil leaks!

They said its very rare for this to happen and they haven't seen any others yet. The seem to sell a lot of bikes, so I'm guessing it is not a common problem.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 04:02 AM
Mik

Garage
my very first service had the same problem. Filter was still loose. I can hand tighten it. Needless to say I wasn't very happy. Also happened to a mate on his Scrambler.

M795.LSL X01 carbon wrapped bar,Scotts 796 bar clamps+Steering dampener,Brembo RCS Brake,Clutch levers,Ilmberger carbon fiber front,rear fenders,cam covers,monoposto,tank center,Custom red/black carbon tank skins,instrument cluster cover,oilcooler shroud,sprocket cover,14/41T Driven sprockets,Bazzaz Zfi,ExBox exhaust,Ducabike rear sets,Clear clutch cover,Pressure plate,spring retainer,slave cyl,AEM triple tree, STM adj forks,rear combi brake light and tail chopped.Thought I finished but no
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 PM

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:58 AM

I keep telling myself no more Italian bikes! If they were ugly and lacked character, it would be an easy decision haha!
Mik likes this.

14' Monster 1200S
16' ZX-10R

DIY undertail covers... https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...il-covers.html
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM

Oh Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspd7 View Post
I keep telling myself no more Italian bikes! If they were ugly and lacked character, it would be an easy decision haha!
I kept telling myself the same thing about Harley's... now I have Ducati syndrome too. LOL.
Brianq103 and hyperspd7 like this.

Ride today...you may not be here tomorrow.
Beezwiz.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

It's not that bad.... Yesterday I parked ran into the store for about 10 minutes and this guy decided to share the parking spot with me. He couldn't have been parked there for more than 5-10 minutes, already a puddle on the ground and look a the front cylinder.

hyperspd7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode