Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Gap between grip and end of bar

12K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  TexanS 
#1 ·
Hey guys, anyone know why there is gap between the end of the handlebar and the grip on the clutch side? I'm assuming this can't be changed due to the lever and switch assemblies being fitted with locating pins?

#3 ·
Mine had this gap too. When I installed ASV levers I needed to move things around a bit for better ergos. Just demel locating pin off and position the switch gear anywhere you want. I think those pins are just there for ease of assembly at the factory. The cluster is plenty solid and won't move around with the pin removed.

#6 ·
Very poor design. Tbh it seems like when Ducati had the handle bars made, they just forgot that there wasn't a throttle housing on the left hand side of the bar, so the spacing is all out on that side. Things like this and the footpeg design do make me wonder if the people designing these bikes actually ride bikes.

I was thinking about moving the switch assembley further towards the end of the bar by drilling a new loacting hole in the bar. Does the clutch lever clamp also have a locating pin? Can't imagine that it would.

#7 ·
I didn't notice this but my friend pointed it out to me. I ended up just centering the gap on each side of the grip as much as I could. I switched out my grips to Rizomas on my 696 and the gap was a lot bigger than this so I'm not sweating it too much. I may switch out the bars to some black rizoma bars anyway so I will just fix it then.

And to 77Monster's point, I agree about the foot pegs. Who thought that was a good design and why do I have to pay like 800 bucks to fix it. Annoying!

#8 ·
Seriously folks I can't believe this is a "major grip". I will gladly buy your Monster 1200 for $1,000 since this little Gap ruins it.

If you must fix it, take the bar end cap off, use an air compressor with the pointy nozle attachment, stick that under the grip a little and blow air all around in a circle under the grip. This will float the grip and you can easily take it off. Buy some grip glue from your local dealer. Glue the grip back on where you want it.

Honestly though, there are more important things to concern your self with. No one has ever looked at my 1200 and said,"awesome bike but the screwed up the grip placement". They always just stop after saying awesome bike.

#9 ·
Jeez ilmostro, there's always someone to come along spouting something along the lines of 'why don't you just get out there and ride your bike instead of bitching about it' when a simple issue is brought up for discussion. I'm not saying it means the bike is rubbish or unrideable or that people will stop and stare the grips, just that basic design errors like this are inexcusable. You have to admit that it's a very strange little oddity.

#17 · (Edited)
Isn't the issue actually the difference between the gap on the left grip vice the gap on the right. Should they not be the same?? Unless we have access to the CAD drawings we don't know whether it is a "supply chain/manufacturing or even guess that it is a QC flaw"! (if it is a QC flaw then I guess we wouldn't see a common theme with the grips between all the 1200's).

Whilst is great to make a fallacious statement on reasons why we buy a Ducati (based around some form of cliche thinking) and as such expect poor fit/QA, in reality it is not good for the dollars/euros etc we all pay. Compare apples with apples, when you pay similar $$$ for a S1000R you do don't find fitment issues on the BMW.

Before you all jump on your high horse a say 'well why didn't you buy the bimmer.......', it wasn't because I wanted to bike full of poor fitment and other issues I have seen on various forums, it was because I preferred the twin and the riding position.

At the end of the day, personally I don't think it is good enough......... Ducati has relied on poor ergonomics/design/manufacturing for years because of the 'Ducati lifestyle'. Whilst the same could be said with early Ferrari's/Bugati's or even the Alpha, they have moved on and improved because they must. In order to survive Ducati needs to do the same.

I have fixed mine, but should I have too????? How about I go and buy a +100k brand new sports car and then fix the door alignment?

#18 ·
This really is ridiculous nitpicking. It is a small Gap. You guys are the kings of making mountains out of mole hills. You nitpick that BMW does not make what you want, Ducati does not make it perfect enough for you. I guess your gonna have to make your own motorcycle.... I'm sure there will be no unnecessary gaps on that bike.

Oh and as far a Ducati surviving, their sales are at an all time high. And the Ducati lifestyle... Sorry but I have been riding Ducati long before any motorcycle company was marketing lifestyle.

Can you complain about something real and significant, like the extreme heat pouring off the right side of the bike when its hot outside.

Complaining about that gap on the handlebars and calling it a design flaw makes you sound pompous... Sorta like a BMW owner.... Oh ya right, you are a BMW owner with out beemer so it kind of makes sense.

#20 ·
I can't help it if your opinion is based on nitpicking about the gap next to the grip and calling it a "major gripe" and "design flaw". You kinda bring on yourself with that crap. This bike has so many well designed features you just sound like a douche nitpicking about the gap next to the grip. How about compare the near perfect fueling to almost any other bike out there...... Maybe the gap in the grip is just not a real "Design flaw"

#23 ·
How about compare the near perfect fueling to almost any other bike out there...... "
I was going to leave this alone, but what the hell, it's Christmas and we all need some Christmas cheer.

Come on champ, have you not seen (on nearly every Ducati forum) people complaining about stalling from the 1200????? Particularly in the good ol' You Ess of Ey???

Have you downloaded the stock fuel map or attached a extra O2 sensor somewhere to come up with this prognosis or expert opinion??

I haven't experienced this here in the land of Oz, but I do know it's pretty hard to start the big girl sometimes ........ maybe that's because of the near perfect fueling? LOL anyway have a good Christmas and New Years.:devil

Back on topic!

#21 ·
You make some very good points there Tigamica350, well said mate.

ilmostro69, you clearly don't share the opinion of most people responding to this thread. Instead after some initial good info, you see fit to attempt to antagonise people and rub them up the wrong way with insinuating comments and pointless insults. This thread is about a simple query regarding an odd (as in never seen on any bike I've ever com across) production/design/manufacture issue on the Monster 1200. There is nothing wrong with such discussion. You have the right to your opinion, as do we all, but no one is interested in hearing you bitch about us 'bitching' as you call it. We may sound pompous douches to you, but to me you just sound like an arrogant douche out for an argument. If you don't have anything else constructive to add, why not just leave this thread be.

#26 ·
No manufacturer has a perfect product and ALL bikes have their special quirks. I have to admit that I would not have been able to live with the Ducatis of yester year but when I saw this bike, I knew it was time. Same when I bought my '07 Sportster; I saw that it had enough of the rough edges smoothed out that I could live with it. I'd say let's all go (back) to Japanese bikes, but with Honda's flagship on it's umpteenth recall for brake issues and bikes like the (first year) Yamaha FZ09 having a fuel mapping program written by Satan, where can one hide from the perils of a quirky motorcycle? Although, I hear the Grom is really well built...:wink

#27 ·
Before I read this thread, I had given the Monster a wash and I did notice the gaps on the grips, like I've done a thousand times. But only because I was wiping away excess water caught in the gap.

I tell you what is a design/manufacturing flaw on this bike - the damned metal screws that hold the engine covers and heat shield on the right side. They rust like crazy in tropical weather and I had to replace all of them with less corrosive ones. That's Ducati being cheapo for you.

#28 ·
I just dropped off my 1200s for its 600 mile service. I asked about the gap and they said the grip is blocking a hole in the turn signal/menu control housing. I didn't ask them to personally show me, but they did offer to adjust it a bit If I wanted them to. Considering how much wet weather riding, I do I just told them to leave it as it is.

I guess I'll just consider it as added character now! Hell, all I really care about now is finally riding it over 6k RPMs on the way home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.