Right foot position - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Right foot position

Hello,

I am looking at picking up a 2015 1200 S, or potentially a 2015 821 in the next few days. I have ridden both, and am leaning slightly towards the 821 as it's beautiful and all the bike I need, but I can get a better deal on the 1200 S.

My question is about the right side foot peg. I wear 10.5 to 11 size boots, and I definitely noticed a cramped feeling and some movement limitations when trying to weight the balls of my feet. When I stopped trying to ride like that, it was fine, but it def hampers more aggressive riding.

I'm aware this is a common complaint, so I am wondering if 1) an aftermarket solution exists 2) people get used to it and just work through it, because the bike is phenomenal 3) is the 821 more cramped than the 1200 footpeg-wise, or is that my imagination? It seemed a little more cramped, both were 2015s.

Any feedback is much appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 AM

There are several threads on this.

Here & here

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 AM

Garage
Upgrading the stock exhaust to a Akra slip-on created more room for my size 13 feet. I felt like the heat shield got more in the way than the rearset (but I like to keep my foot somewhat close to the rear brake). Obviously, those adjustable pegs above are a much cheaper, but with my foot size moving the pegs forward would make shifting difficult and may result in some brake dragging.

The 821 and 1200s felt the same footpeg wise to me (both of my demo rides were 2015s too). I thought the 821 was pretty good (better power delivery than my 821 Hyper), but the 1200s was the bike for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:40 PM

Garage
I wear a size 9 and even I have issues if I try and use the correct foot position on an aggressive ride. The most annoying thing about the Monsters foot controlls are the passenger pegs and the supports attached to them. With your toes on the pegs, your heals will touch and be pushed out in an awkward/unnatural position. This position makes it harder to get off of the bike and does not provide the rider with a lot of confidence. It also limits your grip on the pegs. Getting replacement pegs that are adjustable may only mask the issue. If anything they may make your issue worse or create other problems with your foot position.

I use my Monster for a daily commuter bike to and from work, so usually my foot rest in the middle on the peg. Even in the middle my heal touches the exhaust heat shield on the Termi system. If you get an after market exhaust you may fix the heal touching the Heat shield and that is fine for daily riding, you won't fix your heals touching the passenger peg support when riding on your toes.

If it is a real concern for you and if you ride the bike aggressively allot, I would invest in some of the aftermarket foot controls that are on the market if you can afford them.

Here is a link to Ducabike's solution to the problem. There are many solutions like this out there. I personally have no experience with any of them because I am too cheap to buy them. I just save my money and speed for the track and my race bike.

14 Ducati Monster 1200 S
07 Suzuki GSX-R 600 -Race-
CMRA #323
http://www.texassportbikeriders.com
{Sponsors} Woodcraft ~ Armour Bodies ~ Driven ~ Vesrah ~ RideSmart ~ Pirelli ~ South Central Race Center ~ ASV Inventions ~
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:47 PM

I have recently bought a 1200S and my biggest concern was this very same thing. Alhough the heat shield issue on the right hand side is not easily solvable, there do seem to be a few options regarding the pillion peg hangers. As mentioned, you could get a set of those adjustable Rizoma pegs, however I'm not convinced there'd be enough of a difference there to really solve the issue, plus you'll be moving your feet further away from the gear and brake levers which could be an even bigger issue. You could fit a set of the aftermarket pegs by Ducabike or CNC Racing, but you're looking at 750 (without pillion pegs, add another 350 for those) or 1150 respectively, which is far too much money -

http://conquestcarbon.com/shop/produ...-monster-1200/

For me the best solution at the moment is that if I really can't get on with the stock rear sets I'll buy a new set of the peg brackets (125 each from Ducati) and cut the rear pillion peg mounts off. The other option is that if the mounting points for the rear sets are the same on the 1200R due out in January, then a set of those pegs would work, plus they'll be many after market R rear set options available next year I'd imagine. Trouble is neither of those options allow you to carry a pillion as they'll be no pegs. Not such a problem for me as I very rarely carry a pillion. If you do you'll either need to live with the stock setup or not buy a Monster.

Edit: this may also be of interest -

https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...ets-today.html

Last edited by 77Monster; 11-29-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added footpeg link
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much folks for the feedback and links, very helpful. I am still interested in the bike and may pull the trigger despite this concern. When I rode the bike I had a blast and just had to adjust my foot position a bit.

Also, this exhaust sounds pretty great and might help with the heat shield issue, at least on the 821. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJnkX-a1HI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:50 PM

Fuck me Bob, I just watched that whole video and the guy doesn't even start the friggin' bike up!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:31 PM

Garage
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I don't think that's going to buy you much heel room and might result in you melting your heel on the pretty new muffler. Using a quickly whipped together photo for comparison, the difference between where the OEM heat shield is, in relation to the right peg, compared to where the widest point of the Comp Werkes muffler is located is about the same. If you take a look at my Akra setup, you'll see how the extra piping gives you more room between where the peg is and where the muffler starts. Even with this setup, I still have to be careful not to rest my heel on the pipe. Something to consider!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler oem.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	184761   Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	184769  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

lol here you go 77, sounds great - https://youtu.be/SY5oMpTghtE?t=28s

And thanks Paradox, good point. Mind telling me what size boot you wear?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 PM

Garage
Happy to help! I'm a size 13 and currently wear the SIDI Cobra boot. With the Akra, I can get on the ball of my boot and feel the heel touching the vertical part of the muffler can and on my toes I'm duck toed thanks to the passenger pegs. Before the swap, all of my heel was resting on top of the heat shield. If it was only flatter it could have been a toasty footrest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode