Standard 1200 or 1200s or 1200r? - Page 7 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 38Likes

post #61 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Garage
2016 Monster 1200 R vs 2017 Monster 1200 S

Hi guys,
Yesterday I had the opportunity to test ride the new 2017 Monster 1200 S twice. Here's my hopefully unbiased opinion relative to the 2016 Monster 1200 R which I ride.

The handling didn't feel any different. The power of the new S did feel somewhat lower than the R. I may be subliminally biased here or it may be because I have an SC Project on mine. Regardless, you may want to take this one with a grain of salt. In second gear, give it a twist and the front wheel still defies gravity even with the DWC "on" albeit at a low setting. More on that later.
The rubber lined foot pegs are definitely more comfortable with less vibration although more slippery than the R's metal ones. Keep in mind that slippery is a relative term to the extreme grip and sole ruining ones on the R. That may be good or bad depending on your personal preference.
Right heel space is as good as it gets relative to previous Monsters and may be marginally better than a stock R however, the SC Project slip-on is better than both stock set-up.
The tank is noticeably slimmer and contains a liter less fuel. Aesthetically, I prefer the bigger tank but that's just me.
The seat is softer and more comfortable on the New S than the R.
The instrument console on the new S is not as nice as the R but does contain more information namely, a fuel gauge and perhaps other things which I did not see as I have not fiddled with all the settings except the DWC.
About the DWC: on my second ride, I modified the Sport setting to increase the DWC from 3 to 8. I tried everything possible in second gear to raise the front wheel off the ground. DWC works, the most you can raise the front wheel is about an inch and for less than a second. An amber light turns-on for the same period of time. I was actually expecting to feel a cut in power but no, it was very transparent and unobtrusive. Nice feature for some that don't like looking at the sun.
The quickshifter is impressive and is the biggest improvement IMHO although the down-shift feature is clunky where I don't feel the need to use it considering you still have to completely close the throttle for it to engage. It's just as fast if not faster and more reassuring using the clutch and maintaining the throttle. In closing, I'm adding an after-market quickshifter to my R. All and all, I still prefer my R as the forward look of the new S looks bland and incomplete missing both a steering damper and the front windscreen. The R's paint job is much better also but again, that's just me.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 06-30-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Hi guys,

{SNIP}

All and all, I still prefer my R as the forward look of the new S looks bland and incomplete missing both a steering damper and the front windscreen. The R's paint job is much better also but again, that's just me.
INFIDEL!!!!!

(but yes, if you are talking about the primer paint job, it's ugly)

I do find it annoying they shrunk the tank. If anything I'd want a touch more range, not less.

AND CRUISE CONTROL!!! YOU HEAR ME HARLEY DUCATISON?!?!?
post #63 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
I do find it annoying they shrunk the tank. If anything I'd want a touch more range, not less.
AND CRUISE CONTROL!!! YOU HEAR ME HARLEY DUCATISON?!?!?
I didn't comment on the fuel range but yes, that's another reason I prefer the larger tank. I didn't see any cruise control or heated grips although I was actually looking for both of those when I tested the 950 Multistrada. It was a let-down compared with the Multi 1200S which I consider to be the ultimate road warrior. The 950 was also disappointing compared with an FJ-09 which I rode a few days prior. Relatively, it feels underpowered, vibrates and the suspension is not as nice as the Yamaha and certainly nothing compared with the Multistrada 1200 S skyhook.

Among the other bikes ridden, here's something that stood out: the Scrambler Cafe edition. More specifically, its bar-end mirrors...they're awesome with unobstructed vision and no vibration whatsoever.

Last edited by DarR; 06-30-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 AM

Garage
While I'm in a writing mode, here's something else I'd like to share: Suspension.
We Monster 1200 owners often take our Ohlins front and rear for granted. While following the lead rider at a fast pace (aka lose your license forever fast pace) on Ontario's not so fine patches of road (underscore patches) the new "S" handled them rather good albeit necessitating my full attention. The same velocity on that same patch(s) of road was downright scary on the new entry level Monster 797.

post #65 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
While I'm in a writing mode, here's something else I'd like to share: Suspension.
We Monster 1200 owners often take our Ohlins front and rear for granted. While following the lead rider at a fast pace (aka lose your license forever fast pace) on Ontario's not so fine patches of road (underscore patches) the new "S" handled them rather good albeit necessitating my full attention. The same velocity on that same patch(s) of road was downright scary on the new entry level Monster 797.
Two things that are glaringly different between the 1200S and the FJ09 to the advantage of the Ducati: Suspension and Electronics. The Yamaha is positively the stone age in comparison.
DarR likes this.
post #66 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:59 AM

Yeah the suspension is so much better on my 1200s than it was on my 696 before. It's night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #67 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
Two things that are glaringly different between the 1200S and the FJ09 to the advantage of the Ducati: Suspension and Electronics. The Yamaha is positively the stone age in comparison.
Well that's true but we're not talking about the same bucks here either. A M1200S is about $17k whereas the FJ09 is about $11k.

post #68 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:48 PM

Garage
I'd try to find a 2016 R.
saw one in my local dealer for 3k off.
cheaper than 2017S

I was also looking at 2017 1200S when I found the 2016 R for an amazing deal...
why pay more for less! lol..
post #69 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Well that's true but we're not talking about the same bucks here either. A M1200S is about $17k whereas the FJ09 is about $11k.
Welp, My 2014 S with 24k miles was an even trade for a 2015 FJ09 with 7k miles here where the FJ ain't exactly a hot seller since cruisers rule the land...

Just saying, gotta love how Ducatis hold their value...
post #70 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushifly View Post
I'd try to find a 2016 R.
saw one in my local dealer for 3k off.
cheaper than 2017S

I was also looking at 2017 1200S when I found the 2016 R for an amazing deal...
why pay more for less! lol..
Lettuce know once you get the 32 axis anti-crash module from an S wired up and how much it cost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode