Standard 1200 or 1200s or 1200r? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOther996s View Post
'S or 'R'. One rarely regrets paying for higher quality. Ohlins + 10HP ('S) or 25HP ('R') + forged wheels ('R').
Yes, wot he said. ^^^

I can understand some rationalizing that, for whatever personal reasons, a standard or an S would be better for them than an R; and that is the correct decision for them.

But, I seriously doubt any R owners will ever post that the bike handles too well, and is too powerful.

I also believe it to be obvious that Ducati will produce an improved Monster beyond the R. I just would not expect it to be any time soon, based on history. And waiting to find a smoking deal on a used R might be a long wait. For reference, ask your local Ducati dealer how many Rs their commitment is.
oldndumb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
tofur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
Better brakes too...didn't realize that.
Also lighter wheels, forgot about them. For me the S was a no brainer, especially because I bought used and got a screaming deal on one that already had termi's installed. Also liked the white which made the decision that much easier...

Sfer8723 likes this.

Last edited by tofur; 11-07-2015 at 01:20 PM.
tofur is offline  
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 218
I have another view. Mine is the standard 1200, which I ride on the street. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the stock suspension, which performed very well on a summer trip to the curvy roads of SE Ohio. I don't doubt that the Ohlins is better for track days (more adjustments), but the S and R models are for those with lots of cash and/or a desire to do track days.
rz33v4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
I have another view. Mine is the standard 1200, which I ride on the street. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the stock suspension, which performed very well on a summer trip to the curvy roads of SE Ohio. I don't doubt that the Ohlins is better for track days (more adjustments), but the S and R models are for those with lots of cash and/or a desire to do track days.
Glad you are satisfied with your bike. After all, that is what this avocation is all about.

But, don't slip into a form of projection bias and ignore the fact that some people may want an R and never take it to a track, or have a lot of cash, the implication being they have money to burn.

I have an R on order and do not intend to track it because I am too old. Bones and muscles heal slower relative to age. I did track days ten years ago and wish it would be feasible again, but wish in one hand, shit in the other. See which one gets filled first.

As to the implication of money to burn, not in my case. But I worked hard and long enough to buy some of the things I appreciate. Those items are usually guns cars and bikes. Some think I am extravagant, but I have my own priorities, and economize in other ways. Others have different priorities than mine, and I would hope they didn't assume they had the right to judge my priorities, because I never worry about theirs. Mine are the correct ones for me and theirs are for themselves. That is one way to avoid projection bias.

Regular, S, or R.....a day on any one of them is a blessing.
wolfpack65, DarR and TRK like this.
oldndumb is offline  
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
Where is "here?" In the US the difference between a base and S on the Monster 1200 is $2300.
Australia. And everything I listed mod wise is the same as the $4k diff. I'd much rather go down that path.

On the street, there is nowhere you are going to be able to notice or leverage any of the difference in power between the base and the S.
ConR is offline  
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 218
Hey, please buy what you like. Heck, I'd like an R model too if someone else wants to front the money difference. My point was that you don't have to spend S or R money (as many here suggested) to get a good running/handling Monster 1200. Horses for courses and the standard 1200 is great on the street.
RadRodriguez and BushyAR15 like this.
rz33v4 is offline  
post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Singapore
Posts: 91
The R was really designed to satiate the demands of moto journalists who complained about the foot pegs and track performance of the S. If you want the latest and greatest and do go to the track, and have the budget, go for the R.

Most commuting riders probably won't notice the performance or handling difference between the base and the S, but but.. the S has gold forks!!! And I didn't realize this till lately, but the S also has different wheel rims from the base 1200.

I'm a 1200S owner, and if I had to buy it all over again today, I'd still buy the S, and do the same major upgrades - Termi pipes and BST carbon wheels. I don't need the track performance of the R (and it's got a higher seat), and the components upgrades from base model to S model make the S model a better value-buy.

You might also want to look at some used models - there are 1200S models I've seen on this forum being sold with lots of great upgraded parts.

And why not consider the 821? Much cheaper and just as handsome, if you don't need 1200cc.
wolfpack65 and BushyAR15 like this.

2014 Monster 1200S
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
http://iantan.org
superflask is offline  
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 200
Your comments sound contradictory. You poke fun at the gold forks of the "S" (the forks are different between the standard and the "S" as you know and not just color), yet you put BST wheels on your bike and a Termi exhaust on your bike and imply you don't take your bike to the track. So why make those changes? Because it looks good and makes you happy?

You've got more into your "S" than the cost of an "R"…

I'm not bagging on you or your bike. Its yours do what you want and do whatever makes you happy! Its just your comments don't take into account for the person like the one person above who would buy the "R" just because its totally what appeals to them.

Hell one day, I'm going to own a Desmosedici, and it may never turn a wheel on the track… I just want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflask View Post
The R was really designed to satiate the demands of moto journalists who complained about the foot pegs and track performance of the S. If you want the latest and greatest and do go to the track, and have the budget, go for the R.

Most commuting riders probably won't notice the performance or handling difference between the base and the S, but but.. the S has gold forks!!! And I didn't realize this till lately, but the S also has different wheel rims from the base 1200.

I'm a 1200S owner, and if I had to buy it all over again today, I'd still buy the S, and do the same major upgrades - Termi pipes and BST carbon wheels. I don't need the track performance of the R (and it's got a higher seat), and the components upgrades from base model to S model make the S model a better value-buy.

You might also want to look at some used models - there are 1200S models I've seen on this forum being sold with lots of great upgraded parts.

And why not consider the 821? Much cheaper and just as handsome, if you don't need 1200cc.
DarR likes this.

2015 Monster 1200s Stripe
2016 Honda Africa Twin
BushyAR15 is offline  
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Singapore
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
Your comments sound contradictory. You poke fun at the gold forks of the "S" (the forks are different between the standard and the "S" as you know and not just color), yet you put BST wheels on your bike and a Termi exhaust on your bike and imply you don't take your bike to the track. So why make those changes? Because it looks good and makes you happy?

You've got more into your "S" than the cost of an "R"…

I'm not bagging on you or your bike. Its yours do what you want and do whatever makes you happy! Its just your comments don't take into account for the person like the one person above who would buy the "R" just because its totally what appeals to them.

Hell one day, I'm going to own a Desmosedici, and it may never turn a wheel on the track… I just want one!
Dear BushyAR15,

I'm constantly amused by the reactions on this forums to something people don't feel is "the right answer", then it all goes downhill into very entertaining threads.

If you really want to know, and if it helps the original poster (even though I've made it clear which bike he should buy for what reasons):

Termi pipes don't add any significant hp - they just look and sound better. This will make any owner happy. And I only bought them after a year of 1200S ownership because I got a good discount on them (Don't buy them at original retail price)

Carbon wheels don't add any significant hp - they look subjectively better and help the bike spin up or brake faster, and make turning very light because they reduce the weight of the wheels by half (yes, even compared to the R forged aluminium ((not magnesium for the price)) wheels). This is useful for both commuting and track.

The Termis and BSTs are both available as upgrades for the R, S or base model, and they do not offer the specific track performance upgrades of the R engine or chassis or seat height. But they make your ride much more fun.

And no, I don't bring my bike to the track because it's my daily commuter and I would get a cheaper track-focused bike like a used Daytona if I really wanted to. And no, I don't think it's necessary to make the Monster into a track champion - there are other non-naked models that do that much better. Any bike can go on the track but Ducati is trying too hard to compete where it needn't.

And finally, if you're going to drop that much money on a bike, it'll be nice to have gold forks instead of boring black forks.

I was happy with my 1200S as stock, and I'm happy with its upgrades. If you have the budget and like to go to the track, go for the R. Otherwise, go for the S. If budget is a concern, go for the base model.

I hope this long-winded answer is satisfactory.

2014 Monster 1200S
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
http://iantan.org

Last edited by superflask; 11-08-2015 at 07:44 AM.
superflask is offline  
post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 200
Actually I don't want to know nor do I care. They were rhetorical questions. I didn't expect or want an answer.

What I find amusing is when people feel they have to justify or explain their purchasing decisions because they "believe" the rest of us are scratching our heads trying to understand how spending 4 or 5k on extras to make the bike lighter for commuting purposes makes any sense.

I guess (me thinking out loud and not looking for a response) if your commute includes some gnarly backroads and and twisty bits thats cool, but hey who am I to say… Enjoy your ride.

So, to get this back on topic; To the OP at this point I think you can see it really comes down to what you what and are willing to spend. Willing to spend meaning what your budget will allow OR what you feel comfortable spending.

I would also suggest if you are interested in all that the "R" or even the "S" has to offer but you can only afford the standard now, I'd wait. By the time you add the extras later its going to cost you more overall than had you bought the "S" or "R" in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflask View Post
Dear BushyAR15,

I'm constantly amused by the reactions on this forums to something people don't feel is "the right answer", then it all goes downhill into very entertaining threads.

If you really want to know, and if it helps the original poster (even though I've made it clear which bike he should buy for what reasons):

Termi pipes don't add any significant hp - they just look and sound better. This will make any owner happy. And I only bought them after a year of 1200S ownership because I got a good discount on them (Don't buy them at original retail price)

Carbon wheels don't add any significant hp - they look subjectively better and help the bike spin up or brake faster, and make turning very light because they reduce the weight of the wheels by half (yes, even compared to the R forged aluminium ((not magnesium for the price)) wheels). This is useful for both commuting and track.

The Termis and BSTs are both available as upgrades for the R, S or base model, and they do not offer the specific track performance upgrades of the R engine or chassis or seat height. But they make your ride much more fun.

And no, I don't bring my bike to the track because it's my daily commuter and I would get a cheaper track-focused bike like a used Daytona if I really wanted to. And no, I don't think it's necessary to make the Monster into a track champion - there are other non-naked models that do that much better. Any bike can go on the track but Ducati is trying too hard to compete where it needn't.

And finally, if you're going to drop that much money on a bike, it'll be nice to have gold forks instead of boring black forks.

I was happy with my 1200S as stock, and I'm happy with its upgrades. If you have the budget and like to go to the track, go for the R. Otherwise, go for the S. If budget is a concern, go for the base model.

I hope this long-winded answer is satisfactory.

2015 Monster 1200s Stripe
2016 Honda Africa Twin
BushyAR15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome