Standard 1200 or 1200s or 1200r? - Page 10 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 38Likes

post #91 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:05 PM

My last bike was a 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES. I demo'd the 17' R and S back to back at bike week in AZ last spring. Reason I owned the FJR was demo a ride at bike week. I put 21K flawless miles on the big FJR that included WI to WA trip on purchase and a border to border Pacific Coast Highway ride. Several WA to AZ runs sprinkled in. It also did track days being the only bike to roll in under its own power carrying all its own gear. Drop the bags tape up and ride. Posted the second highest speed at the end of the front straight at 138 beaten only by a big gal and I mean big on Hybusa which turned 146.

Both bikes really fit me well. I like the monster as it fits like and old pair of jeans or leather gloves. Riding position is not too extreme for long rides. I needed to ride both again back to back. The quick shifter was cool but I am old school. The clutch is your friend. What to get to know your bike well? Get to know the clutch. I am the same way with cars. I will give a few tenths shifting to row the gears. I can do more with a clutch in corner that your can't do with a paddle shifter. But dam do they shift fast. I can live without the QS. I took a 1200 standard for a long ride. I knew I wanted one. I was hot for a MV Brutale until I drove one. It wasn't the 1200 but the head shake was awful. It had starting issues after refueling. Back with Monster fever. Looked at Touno but just like the monsters looks better. I wanted the Steering Dampener and the front fairing which I would have added to an S anyway. I thought I wanted red until I saw a Black R live. Loved it. Ok you the lighter wheels too. I added a little red bling and a set of slip on Termi's. R has the bigger 58MM header already so you just need the slip-ons which come with a factory approved tune. They say 3% power increase. It feel more like 15%. I ran the bike back to back on the same road before and after. Pulls way harder with the pipe and tune. I have only run with the DB killers out. Its perfect! I agree that once your past 100 to 110 the bike loses its fun as you have to fight the wind. Up until then it is surprisingly perfect with the little fairing. It makes a big difference vs not having one at all. The sound with the termi's is intoxicating. Cross between my Honda XL 350 with a Bassani torque pipe and a piped Harley at lower speeds. You can really hear the V-twin sound unlike inline 4. At high RPM's she just has that Ducati V twin wail. I already have way too much into this bike but it is just so much fun. I think she will always have a home my garage. Only complaints are no cruise or heated grips and dash mount USB would be nice. Gear box has a few N if you get lazy your shifts so don't.
DarR likes this.

2017 Ducati Monster 1200 R Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:49 AM

Garage
@island maser
Nice review. I preferred the Monster over the Tuono and the drop-dead good looking Brutale Dragster also. Love the Monster's look and torque. I chose the "R" vs "S" as I wanted the steering damper, the mini fairing and the forged Marchesini wheels. I had a chance to compare the 2017 "S" back to back with my "R" thereafter (see post #61 of this thread) and would still choose the "R".

I got a few false "N's" in my first week only. It's a clutch (not a gearbox) issue which was solved by simply changing to short levers as you can pull-in deeper without hitting your knuckles. I installed a gorgeous SC-Project Carbon slip-on in 2017 and will be flashing the ECU this spring. It will make a world of difference as it's running very lean right now. Final mod will be an Annitori QS.
About your USB comment.
I experimented quite a bit in that area for all three bikes we own. Here's what I've done to the Monster:
https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...ml#post3068450

2018 Multistrada Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959
post #93 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:31 AM

Hi! I'm going to finally buy Monster. I'm on limited budget so I was first thinking to buy 1200S (2014-2016) but I noticed that standard 1200 (2017-) is in my budget range. What do you guys think is newer standard 1200 so much better in upgrades (and overall) that I should sacrifice Íhlins suspension?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:51 AM

Garage
windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
As a former road racer and current Monster 1200 owner the biggest complaint I have about the Monster is a lack of wind protection. The bikini fairing on the Stripe/R models is too small to be effective and the Ducati accessory screen is even smaller. No problem if your rides are relatively slow or short, but a concern if you expect the bike to take you any distance. And pitching the machine as a track weapon, as Ducati is doing with the R model, adds fuel to my argument, as track speeds over 100 MPH with little/no wind protection are incompatible.
The Monster line has always been about its do-anything capability - owners can customize to make it whatever they desire. A perfect "tweener" between Panigale and Multistrada. To me the detail holding it back is effective (and good-looking) wind protection.
I agree, I also wanted more wind protection since 80-85 are normal freeway speeds. I made my own because the Duc screen is too small and the others I found did not look good on the bike. I have mix of dampers an Ohlins rear with a sachs front. I was able to dial the front in so that it is a good match for the rear on nasty MI roads. I think the changes to the S are a good value but if the S doesn't fit the budget you will not be disappointed with the standard 1200. Be prepared to add a power commander to get the bike to deliver power smoothly. T1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5204.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	217942  
post #95 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hene View Post
Hi! I'm going to finally buy Monster. I'm on limited budget so I was first thinking to buy 1200S (2014-2016) but I noticed that standard 1200 (2017-) is in my budget range. What do you guys think is newer standard 1200 so much better in upgrades (and overall) that I should sacrifice Íhlins suspension?

I have Ohlins on the Monster but not on the Panigale. However, other things are more important.
I would get the STD 2017 as it's a significant improvement over the previous generation, namely:

-Up/down QuickShifter option
-More HP
-Better ABS system
-DWC
-LED lights
-Updated display panel
-Improved foot clearance on right

Moreover, I'd consider spending some extra $$$ on the quickshifter option that's only available on the 2017.

2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959

Last edited by DarR; 07-01-2018 at 10:03 AM.
post #96 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Okey, good points there DarR. It's just easy to think that I need an S-version and Standard would be somehow "not enough", but only differences between S and Standard (if talking about 2017 model) are Íhlins and wheels(?). Standard suspension should handle 190 lbs?
post #97 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Okey, good points there DarR. It's just easy to think that I need an S-version and Standard would be somehow "not enough", but only differences between S and Standard (if talking about 2017 model) are Íhlins and wheels(?). Standard suspension should handle 190 lbs?
Weight is an non-issue and nor are wheels as they're both cast. They're just cosmetically different.
I was going with your budget thus the STD 2017 suggestion.

The 2017 "S" over the STD version gets you:
Ohlins
Quickshifter already installed
Daytime running lights
M50 brakes
A few cosmetic differences and that's about it I believe.

2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959

Last edited by DarR; 07-01-2018 at 10:43 AM.
post #98 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Weight is an non-issue and nor are wheels as they're both cast. They're just cosmetically different.
I was going with your budget thus the STD 2017 suggestion.

The 2017 "S" over the STD version gets you:
Ohlins
Quickshifter already installed
Daytime running lights
M50 brakes
A few cosmetic differences and that's about it I believe.
Oh, S-version does not have steering damper at all? Only in R?
post #99 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Oh, S-version does not have steering damper at all? Only in R?
Correct. Only STD on the "R".

2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode