Exhaust Valve Operation - Page 4 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 02:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 35
curiosity got the better of me and I disconnected the cable that attaches to the exhaust flapper valve under that little protective cover,
This is on a monster 821.
The exhaust tone is quieter now
The bike is significantly smoother and is happy to cruise along at lower constant rev. before in sport mode trying to do a constant 4000 rpm in some gears it would start lurching as if not happy.
It no longer pops and farts on deceleration like it sometimes would
But
It is down on power through the lower rev range and seems slower to rev.??

I should have taken a photo of the linkage cable on the flapper as I have no clue which way I took it off lol.
Watky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Gananoque, ON, Canada
Posts: 58
Did this mod yesterday and love the result; was thinking it may be just a placebo however it's not. Feels much smoother down low and it's much easier to control constant throttle throughout all rev range(s). I removed the entire flapper motor, cable,'power feed. The only thing left is the flapper ass'y inside the pipe
Very pleased.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App 2014 M1200 S

2014 M1200S (Red)
tomfromON is offline  
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 35
How you reconnect the flap cable?
I cant get enough slack to get the end in the little hole and then get the wire over.. do I have to undo the nut?
I think the cable is no longer protruding as far as it did when I first disconnected the valve.
The bike has lost low end power and is running rich with it disconnected.
Watky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave1200S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watky View Post
How you reconnect the flap cable?
I cant get enough slack to get the end in the little hole and then get the wire over.. do I have to undo the nut?
I think the cable is no longer protruding as far as it did when I first disconnected the valve.
The bike has lost low end power and is running rich with it disconnected.
Pull hard on the cable. If the bike was started it pulls in a little. It should come out enough to get it back on.
Dave1200S is offline  
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 41
Hey Guys...

I got my full Termi exhaust in and my left over 2014 1200S should be here any day now. the full system does come with a "cap" plug that you use after you disconnect the flapper motor...

I'm just wondering where the plug for the servo runs to and what's the easiest way to access it?

Instructions say "Fit motor connector cover (21) on socket (O)
of the main wiring.
Close the electrical components
compartment following the indications
given in the chapter "Reassembling the
electrical components compartment".

I can't wait to start wrenching on this thing!

THANKS!
nickbee is offline  
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Greece
Posts: 12
Update on the fault showing up when valve is just unpluged.
I went yesterday to the dealer to replase my full of water instrument cluster with an empty one. I was watching him uploading the update and at the end of the procedure the valve fault came up (on his computer). I told him I had disconected the plug, he ask me if the bike was any better, I reply, end of story!
So it does show up! but I am hapy as long as it's not coming up on the instuments!!!
Hart is offline  
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Gananoque, ON, Canada
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbee View Post
Hey Guys...

I got my full Termi exhaust in and my left over 2014 1200S should be here any day now. the full system does come with a "cap" plug that you use after you disconnect the flapper motor...

I'm just wondering where the plug for the servo runs to and what's the easiest way to access it?

Instructions say "Fit motor connector cover (21) on socket (O)
of the main wiring.
Close the electrical components
compartment following the indications
given in the chapter "Reassembling the
electrical components compartment".

I can't wait to start wrenching on this thing!

THANKS!

It's underneath where the battery compartment is located. No need to lower the battery just make sure to insert a pin so the battery doesn't drop down; unscrew the 2 compartment bolts, lower the compartment and you'll see the connector for the flapper motor. Unplug it and connect your cap, reassemble.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App 2014 M1200 S
350LCjohnny likes this.

2014 M1200S (Red)
tomfromON is offline  
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Casino, NSW Australia
Posts: 12
Hi everyone,
Has anybody considered that the exhaust valve may also be used for the purpose of exhaust brakes, similar to a diesel.
Those who have removed it or disabled it, presumably permanently open, have noticed any difference in engine braking.
Larry
IFRPilot likes this.
deverall11 is offline  
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 35
Flapper

I installed the termigoni race kit carbon fibre it that came with the ecu flash key, in Australia at least this ECU map did something that deactivated the flapper, I no longer see it move anymore the dealer confirmed that this is normal. Performance wise I'm not sure if it makes a difference however the mapping definately deactivates it though and leaves it in the "open" position, dealer confirmed this.
dest_77 is offline  
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by dest_77 View Post
I installed the termigoni race kit carbon fibre it that came with the ecu flash key, in Australia at least this ECU map did something that deactivated the flapper, I no longer see it move anymore the dealer confirmed that this is normal. Performance wise I'm not sure if it makes a difference however the mapping definately deactivates it though and leaves it in the "open" position, dealer confirmed this.
Since it's a "race" system, there is no need for using the flapper to restrict sound.
Sonic Duck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome