Exhaust Valve Operation - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 11:08 AM

How to unplug it and test for yourself.
The motor is located in the battery bay under the swing arm. Undo the two aft screws (not the middle ones) and flip open the compartment door. Secure the battery through the left small opening with a small screwdriver.
Find the only connector plug in there and unplug it. The cable is quite short from one side and the plug wont come out for you to work on it. I grabbed the male connector with a pair of pointed pliers and used a small electrical screwdriver in the side slid to open the catch and push them apart. Not very easy if you are inverted on your back, have a flash light on your mouth, and wear reading glasses!!
I tried to put some electrical tape for insulation but soon gave up. Tie rap the plugs so they won't rattle around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post

As EEE pointed out, it's wide open at idle. How is that going to help with scavenging for low end torque? .

Its open at idle so it doesnt choke the engine. If it was only for "noise reduction" designing a better can would have been more cost efficient. Shit, adding one inch of length would quiet it more than a fluctuating valve.

2014 Monster 1200 S White
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshaholic2 View Post
Its open at idle so it doesnt choke the engine. If it was only for "noise reduction" designing a better can would have been more cost efficient. Shit, adding one inch of length would quiet it more than a fluctuating valve.
Yep. Cost is the driver here...for sure.

Here's an example of Ducati and "cost efficient". I can't imagine why they didn't do that for the 1200.

Guess they could go the route below but then it'd be totally quiet, not just at the rpm where testing is done...which isn't the goal, the goal is to make an exhaust that is loud but passes noise tests. Oh yeah, and it's fugly.

but hey, I have virtually no Buell experience at all and have been told first hand the purpose of the Ducati valve....what do I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart View Post
Actually we, monster 1200 821 and Hyper 821 owners, are very fortuned as unplugging it won't produce a warning light on the dash. We don't need a Duc.EE to eliminate the light. Maybe Ducati realized that the majority of owners are disabling it and made life easier on us...maybe!!!
May still trigger a code that doesn't show on the dash.

2015 Monster 821
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Fast View Post
May still trigger a code that doesn't show on the dash.
Nope, it does not.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 03:15 AM

Reading up about the exhaust valves accross different model ducati and it seems on some bikes the valve only operates in neautral purely to pass sound db requirements. Once in gear and riding the valve stays open. Has it been confirmed by someone if this is the same for the 1200 / 821 monster
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watky View Post
Reading up about the exhaust valves accross different model ducati and it seems on some bikes the valve only operates in neautral purely to pass sound db requirements. Once in gear and riding the valve stays open. Has it been confirmed by someone if this is the same for the 1200 / 821 monster
This is not true.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Sonic duck, so I can unplug the plug in the battery compartment and it will not throw a code that only the dealer can pickup? Or switch to an alternative trim map due to this? As the company that sells the ee module say the 1200/821 wont show a fault code on the dash but they will show a code when scanned by ducati. From reading some have said their bike has shown the code when scanned by ducati.
Regards some other model ducati exhaust valve only closing whilst in neautral there had been some owners hook a cam up facing the valve modual while riding and once underway it never moved again. This was not a monster though and im not saying the monster works that way im simply asking if it had been checked.

Is there a chance of running lean if I disconnect the plug since the stock fuel map is already lean?
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart View Post
Hi guys,
I think that everyone that owns a recent Ducati SHOULD disable or remove the exhaust valve.
It frees up the engine on low revs.
Put the bike on the side stand and stand on it's right.
Rev it slowly and at the same time look at the side of the valve, you can watch it moving and understand how it messes up with the engine.
This feeling that the engine does not want to rev freely past idle at light throttle opening, the feeling of the sound disappearing at some revs...Its all the valve's doing! Unplug the thing go for a ride and if not convinced, plug it back in.
Actually we, monster 1200 821 and Hyper 821 owners, are very fortuned as unplugging it won't produce a warning light on the dash. We don't need a Duc.EE to eliminate the light. Maybe Ducati realized that the majority of owners are disabling it and made life easier on us...maybe!!!
Why not just disconnect the cable and let it think its actuating the valve?
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 PM

I disconnected the the servo mechanically and electrically in preparation for installing full termis I had on order. Between the disco and termi arrival, I took the bike in to the dealer (GP in San Diego) for the first service. Within minutes of them having the bike, they came out and asked why I had it disconnected and that it was throwing a code.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode