New member with a few questions - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

New member with a few questions

Hey all,

Iím a new member from central NJ, I have been browsing this forum for a while and just picked up my 1200 from Fast by Ferracci a couple weeks back but have been too busy riding to make any posts. This is my second bike, first was a Honda Shadow 750 I bought in high school and rode all through college. Now that I graduated and could afford to upgrade I took the plunge on a leftover new 2014 1200 and have loved every second of it. Already put over 1000 miles on her and has only gotten better since the first service.

So far the only upgrades I have done are installing a RAM mount for my phone and running a USB charger from the DDS connector. I also had opti-coat applied a week after I bought her and I canít recommend it highly enough. Everything just wipes off with a little warm water and I donít have to worry about small scratches or scuffs from my jeans on the tank. It also makes the paint a slightly deeper red and looks amazing.
Next on my list are some CRG Arrows since the stock mirrors are crap. I am considering a windscreen but from everything I have been reading I think I am too tall (6í 2Ē) and will just have the wind go from my chest to my helmet. Any taller members able to comment on how effective the Puig windscreen is?

Also does anyone have a good suggestion for a permanent mounting solution for an EZ pass? I ride to work every day that the weather allows and pass multiple tolls so I want to find a semi-permanent location where I can just forget about it. I tried leaving it in my jacket but it has not been read and I also frequently pass though gated tolls so even though it is registered to my plate I need to keep it on me to activate the gate. Any suggestions?

Look forward to learning and contributing to the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0502151224a.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	168073   Click image for larger version

Name:	0502151224b.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	168081  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Rental cars often have a box on the windshield that is designed to hold an EZ-Pass accessibly. It has the added advantage that you can easily open the box to use the pass, or close it fully to have it not be read. I don't know where a regular person would get one, though. If anyone knows, I'd be interested in this as well.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 AM

Garage
Congrats on the bike. I just picked mine up on Saturday. Awesome machines for sure. I have a request for you. Any chance you could post a photo of your RAM mount? I need to mount my GPS and I'm mulling over my options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 AM

I keep my sunpass in my left jacket pocket and take it out for express toll lanes and hold it up in front of my face, works perfectly.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMachine View Post
Congrats on the bike. I just picked mine up on Saturday. Awesome machines for sure. I have a request for you. Any chance you could post a photo of your RAM mount? I need to mount my GPS and I'm mulling over my options.
I used these and so far they work great:

I can post pictures of the setup later tonight.

Also I just ordered these which should let me charge my phone through the DDS connection under the seat, I will update on my results once they arrive:

I can't take any credit, found the mount setup somewhere on this forum and the charger is courtesy of the 899 panigale forum.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
I keep my sunpass in my left jacket pocket and take it out for express toll lanes and hold it up in front of my face, works perfectly.
Yeah that is an option but since I pass at least two tolls every day I would really like to find some sort of semi permanent way to mount it where I can just forget about it, maybe in the headlight casing somewhere?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewellis91 View Post
Yeah that is an option but since I pass at least two tolls every day I would really like to find some sort of semi permanent way to mount it where I can just forget about it, maybe in the headlight casing somewhere?
I pass through two or three a ride all the time, once you get used to the pocket method it's a non event. I'm not sure the headlight or handlebars are high enough to work, can't say I've tried putting it that low though.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/420...sponder-holder
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMachine View Post
Here are some pics, works great with my LG G3 in a case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432069134073.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	168185   Click image for larger version

Name:	1432069142240.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	168193   Click image for larger version

Name:	1432069153126.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	168201  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Here are some pics, works great with my LG G3 in a case
Glad to hear you're having good luck with your x-grip. Mine never felt secure and it vibrated a lot.

I went with a spring loaded cell phone mount from RAM. Much more stable and secure.

If anyone is looking to buy an x-grip, I'll be more than happy to part ways with mine.

2013 Monster 796
Termignoni slip ons
14t front sprocket
Charcoal canister delete
Motovation frame sliders
CRG Hindsight Lane Splitters
ASV C5 shorty levers
Rizoma Action signals
1100 EVO rearsets
Speedymoto front sprocket cover
Ducabike rear sprocket carrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode