Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Gearing Change

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 ·
Just finished fitting the new rear sprocket. The Diavel 43 tooth fitted straight on, but had to do a new chain. 3 links too short....bugger. I didn't want to go the cheap and nasty route of changing the front to a 14 tooth, and the 2 up on the rear gives me almost the same result.

It has altered the revs by about 300, makes getting away in 1st so much easier, but the added bonus I hadn't figured on is now 2nd and 3rd gears are much more user friendly. Tight corners I needed 1st for are now 2nd gear, and ditto 3rd gear for 2nd. Around town at 60 kph in 4th gear is now doable instead of the 3rd I used to have to run.

100 kmh is 3700ish revs in 6th, and it will actually now pull away (albeit not spectacularly) from there. 5th at 4100 rpm at 100 kph is a much better gear for that still.

Obviously not a mod you want to do if you are taking the bike on the track, but for me and the anal speed conscious country I live in, well worth it :)

#2 · (Edited)
Reviving an oldie but good topic.
Following two years of riding the Monster 1200R, I too find its gearing a bit long.
Since it's just about time for me to change the 525 chain, I'm taking the opportunity to up the size of the rear sprocket from 41T to 43T (+2R) as well.
I also purchased the OEM 43T rear sprocket for the Diavel which fits the Monster 1200.
Will be installing it soon while it's in the shop for a fork oil change.

What size chain length (links) have you used for a 15/43 combination on a 1200R ?

#4 · (Edited)
Any updates DarR? As I too look to do this next. Didn’t you consider aftermarket better looking/lighter ones?
Not yet. I've been putting some time on my new Multistrada.
Moreover, I'm still looking for confirmation about chain length for a 1200R 15/43 combo.
110 or 111 on the "R"

About lighter ones: I don't really care for a lighter sprocket if it's going to sacrifice durability. Furthermore, my racing parts guy suggested I stay away from riveted two piece sprocket which tend to get loose and noisy over time. He suggested solid steel for durability. After all, it's a street bike which I want to keep maintenance free as much as possible although I will take it to the track for some social fun. About better looking : I can always have the sprocket flange anodized.

Just had a gearing change on the Multistrada at the first 600 miles service. The OEM 15/40 was unbelievably long. Went +2R.
Great improvement. It should have been delivered as a 15/42.
Now anxious to fix the gearing for the Monster.

#6 · (Edited)
True, and most mods are bling or comfort related.
However, gearing is such an easy yet significant performance mod where I'm surprised that it's not more prevalent done.
All Italian bikes are geared too long and the Monster is no exception. At least for me it is.

Now if I can only get confirmation about chain length for a Monster 1200 R 15/43 combo.
It's either 110 or 111 which means I have to order a 120 links and have it shortened.

#8 · (Edited)
@Stewart Dot McNaughton
Interesting timing that you posted. The Diavel sprocket is not right for the Monster. More specifically, the carrier's offset was wrong. The Diavel share the same carrier as the Multistrada. Monster 1200 and Panigale's share the same carriers.

Just received the right parts for the Monster: Superlite PCD-4 Quick change carrier with Superlite 50803-43 steel sprocket.
Looking forward to testing this new combo in the spring.
I also received an EK 525 ZVX3 Series Supersport Chain Black/Gold - Number Of Links : 120 to be cut to size. Length TBA
Auto part
Auto part Bicycle part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.