Front Sprocket to 14T - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Thanks imstuner, that's what I've been doing and it does provide for a better entry speed.
Audioguy16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy16 View Post
I've noticed it only on the 1st gear on low speed turns. I'm coming from an S1000RR so maybe I still have to get used to the v-twin. It's better on the Sport mode but I can still feel a boggynes on turns.
I'm with you on this. Feel sorry for my clutch where I live. Lots of 15 - 25 kph switchbacks going up and down the mountains. Lots of 1st and 2nd gear work with the fans going by the time I'm at the top.

Considering going 2 teeth bigger on the rear myself.

I also have a BMW twin cylinder that doesn't have this bogging down thing. (same cc, 20% less HP, a lot heavier, just more appropriate gearing down low)
Deano747 is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Rosso Classico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy16 View Post
Hey Rosso thanks for your brilliant insight. I guess I have to work on NOT expecting EVERY single thing on this planet to be the same because obviously you deduced that from my single post about the sprocket. My post was about my observations and how to solve my perceived issues. The lazyness on slow speed turns is a known issue on monsters judging from many forum posts online.

Audioguy, my insight comes from from post no.54648994685648987654564564698 about installing a 14T sprocket on a Duc because they lug at low RPM...
You know, something which you could have actually found out if you took the time to read the 54648994685648987654564564698 posts in here about the same exact (non-existant) issue...

Every time it goes like this : new guy with shiny new toy (Duc) enters the forum and "it bogs down low, imma install a 14T 'cause i want smooth"...
It's been discussed ad nauseam in here, in the other monster forum, over at ducati.ms and...you get my drift (hopefully)...

This is why i said my good man try to learn how to ride the bike how it wants to be ridden - especially when coming from an I4 motor...

"But the forums are a place to ask things and exchange opinions" you'll say, sure, thing is, we should always know what we're buying, i mean, is this your first L-twin ? Did you actually took the bike for a test-ride before spending 15/18K on it ? If you did, didn't you notice at the time that it vibrates/chugs at low RPM ? Again, this is a 2 cylinder motor, it's supposed to be like that

Even if you install a 14T...it's still going to lug at low RPM, yes, the effect is not going to be as pronounced but trust me, it's still going to be lumpy, you're still have to learn to keep your fingers over the clutch all the time when in 1st gear.

Sometimes, it's actually nice learning new things and how they operate (differently) between one another - had some "expert" buddies riding my bike and...they stalled it 3 times before taking off, why ? Because their Z750, S.triple and CBF600 behave differently, yes, they're smoother than my Duc, yes, they're different...
Different gearing, different motor, different habits learned/acquired depending on the type of bike.
Learn the proper RPM to gear ratio, keep feathering that clutch and you'll be good to go.

Hope you found this response to your liking

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 08-21-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Rosso Classico is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Atz3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano747 View Post
I'm with you on this. Feel sorry for my clutch where I live. Lots of 15 - 25 kph switchbacks going up and down the mountains. Lots of 1st and 2nd gear work with the fans going by the time I'm at the top.



Considering going 2 teeth bigger on the rear myself.



I also have a BMW twin cylinder that doesn't have this bogging down thing. (same cc, 20% less HP, a lot heavier, just more appropriate gearing down low)


Horizontal twins are smoother by nature and, as you mentioned, your gearing is likely more appropriate.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1975 BMW R90/6
1981 Honda C50
Atz3 is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atz3 View Post
Horizontal twins are smoother by nature and, as you mentioned, your gearing is likely more appropriate.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Got it in one. "your gearing is more appropriate."

Funnily enough, this is the 1st time I have seen this mentioned on this Monster forum and I don't tend to read about stuff I don't own, so missed the apparently multiple posts about other Ducati models they got it wrong on.

Funnily enough, my '05 Ducati ST4S didn't exhibit this characteristic. Maybe Ducati got it more appropriate on that one.

I also have a number of friends with large capacity V Twins that don't seem to need to ride the clutch on at low speed. And you could hardly call those engines smooth.

But at the end of the day, I do like this bike enough to put up with the Italian in it
Deano747 is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
I never had that lumpy throttle response when I had my Honda RC51, and that's a V-Twin. So for someone to tell me that I need to learn how to ride a v-twin is ignorant. Learning a bike's quirks and behavior is part of learning to use ANY motorcycle. And aren't we on this forum to get the best out of our bikes? My question on this thread is if anyone has done this to their 1200s and what brand of sprocket they used. The mod is simple enough that you can put the stock sprocket back if no benefit is gained.
Audioguy16 is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
imstuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 506
Any major brand like driven or AFAM would be fine. I wouldn't change any gearing until a speedo healer come out. It change be that bad. What mode are you riding in?


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
imstuner is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Thanks imstuner, I usually ride on Sport as it has the best response. I do enjoy the bike very much. I can live with the current gearing, but I'm curious of anyone has done it in their 1200.
Audioguy16 is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Classico View Post
Audioguy, my insight comes from from post no.54648994685648987654564564698 about installing a 14T sprocket on a Duc because they lug at low RPM...
You know, something which you could have actually found out if you took the time to read the 54648994685648987654564564698 posts in here about the same exact (non-existant) issue...

Every time it goes like this : new guy with shiny new toy (Duc) enters the forum and "it bogs down low, imma install a 14T 'cause i want smooth"...
It's been discussed ad nauseam in here, in the other monster forum, over at ducati.ms and...you get my drift (hopefully)...

This is why i said my good man try to learn how to ride the bike how it wants to be ridden - especially when coming from an I4 motor...

"But the forums are a place to ask things and exchange opinions" you'll say, sure, thing is, we should always know what we're buying, i mean, is this your first L-twin ? Did you actually took the bike for a test-ride before spending 15/18K on it ? If you did, didn't you notice at the time that it vibrates/chugs at low RPM ? Again, this is a 2 cylinder motor, it's supposed to be like that

Even if you install a 14T...it's still going to lug at low RPM, yes, the effect is not going to be as pronounced but trust me, it's still going to be lumpy, you're still have to learn to keep your fingers over the clutch all the time when in 1st gear.

Sometimes, it's actually nice learning new things and how they operate (differently) between one another - had some "expert" buddies riding my bike and...they stalled it 3 times before taking off, why ? Because their Z750, S.triple and CBF600 behave differently, yes, they're smoother than my Duc, yes, they're different...
Different gearing, different motor, different habits learned/acquired depending on the type of bike.
Learn the proper RPM to gear ratio, keep feathering that clutch and you'll be good to go.

Hope you found this response to your liking
*MDWM*

Audioguy, go play with this,

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

The Diavel has the same gearing except our Monsters have a 41 rear, not the 43 of the Diavel. Obviously the rear tire is a 190/55 instead of the 240/45 and the chain is probably a little shorter but it should give you some ideas about gearing. (also don't forget to change the redline to 10,800...a weird quirk the gearing commander dude has). Multistrada also uses the same gearbox but with 15/40 gearing.

Anyways, I don't think my Monster needs to be geared to 182MPH. Testastretta's I've ridden enough to get a good gauge:

Multistrada: 15/40
Diavel: 15/43
Diavel: 14/43
Monster 1200S: 15/41

Of those, I enjoyed the 15/43 on the Diavel the best and will eventually change the Monster to match. I ride some pretty regular routes and the 15/43 with that motor and gearbox felt the best to me. I spent less time feeling like I was between gears in traffic and didn't have to go supersonic to have a need for sixth.

That being said, to finish the thought, the 14/43 was grand fun in the slower stuff but I found it a bit too buzzy for highway work.

Hope that is helpful instead of just demeaning, nothing wrong with wanting your cogs closer.
Kidnplay01 likes this.
Sonic Duck is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by imstuner View Post
Any major brand like driven or AFAM would be fine. I wouldn't change any gearing until a speedo healer come out. It change be that bad. What mode are you riding in?


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Pretty sure the speedo pickup is either the front or rear ABS/TC sensor so no healing necessary.
Sonic Duck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome