Monster 1100 evo 2011 - Will only start when planets align. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Monster 1100 evo 2011 - Will only start when planets align.

Long time lurker, first time poster.
HELP!

I've had my 1100 Evo for approximately 18 months and this is the first bit of drama. This is my 2nd 1100, the first one was written off by a Cab driver on his mobile.

Here's how it goes:

- Failed to start one morning. Leading up to it, temperature in Sydney Australia was starting to drop. Starting would take 2-3 goes, and would start first go if the engine was warm.
- Now, slow crank, made quicker with throttle open. Left the bike on charger otherwise would kill the battery trying to start
- Things Iíve checked:
○ Replaced spark plugs - I have spark to each cylinder (donít know if itís good or bad spark - but I have spark)
○ Measured all battery leads - within spec
○ Checked voltage regulator diodes - all perfect
○ Used a different battery - same issue
○ Checked timing belts and indicators - all good
○ Swapped both relays around - no difference
○ Pulled the fuel tank apart and inspected the fuel pump, filter, electrics, and pipes - all good. Pressure OUT / IN tested - plenty, but donít know how much exactly. My thumb had a hard time stopping the fuel coming out when I turned the ignition on - I however didnít try to crank whilst I had my thumb on the IN to simulate backpressure to injectors
○ NOT the starter solenoid or starter - she cranks

- Now, hereís where it gets interesting
○ This method mostly doesnít work, but may be a hint of whatís going on. I tried the extra priming trick where you leave the kill switch on and press the start button for up to 17 seconds. The bike backfired, so at least I know I have COMBUSTION. Leave the bike ignition on (with charger on of course) for 10 minutes, come back, start bike with open throttle - she starts. Left on and rode around the block 4KMs, turn engine off in garage - wonít start again.
○ I then inject 5ml of petrol per cylinder - get the same behaviour as the primer trick, but instead of backfire, the engine tries to start and nearly catches on. Leave the bike for 10 mins with ignition off. Return to bike, primer trick, attempt to start - and she starts!

Any pointers would be appreciated.
(I don't know what happened to my first post - as I can't find it. Apologies if this comes out a 2nd time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:43 PM

Garage
Tried resetting the TPS? That's been about the only issue my 1100 Evo ABS Monster has had (twice), ah, apart from a faulty regulator. Dealer job if you haven't got the right jpdiag(?) software and connector.. Either way fault codes can be read too.

2012 Monster 1100 Evo ABS
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Monster S4RS Tricolore
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post
Tried resetting the TPS? That's been about the only issue my 1100 Evo ABS Monster has had (twice), ah, apart from a faulty regulator. Dealer job if you haven't got the right jpdiag(?) software and connector.. Either way fault codes can be read too.
Thanks for the response, alancsalt.

I've tried two ways to reset the TPS - the turn on to ignition * x number of times, and even tried it with Tuneboy. This is also my back-up ECU.

By regulator, do you mean Voltage Regulator / rectifier, which I've verified as OK?

Yes - sounding like a dealer visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:46 AM

Garage
Right on all counts. Hope it shows up and isn't a mystery ailment.
sir1100 likes this.

2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 AM

Mine had a similar problem but only on hot starts, slow to turn over when trying to start, dealer is replacing alternator and sprag clutch,

I thought it would have been an intermittent short with the starter motor or mechanical interference as the starting volts when cold was 10v under load and 8v under load when hot.

Iím still waiting for it to be repaired Iíve only had it in my possession for one day and that was 26th April.... parts apparently take a long time to reach Australia!
sir1100 likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Ouch!

I've seen on Aprilia forums how they've got around their hot start issues - swapping out the cable between starter solenoid and the starter to 12 gauge. May not apply to us, but might be worth a shot - cheaper, too.

Let us know how you go.

2011 Monster 1100 Evio, Termis, TuneBoyed.
2009 Monster 1100, Scorpion Exhaust, Waspworks, Powercommander (written off - cab driver)

Sydney Australia.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDRX7 View Post
Mine had a similar problem but only on hot starts, slow to turn over when trying to start, dealer is replacing alternator and sprag clutch,

I thought it would have been an intermittent short with the starter motor or mechanical interference as the starting volts when cold was 10v under load and 8v under load when hot.

I’m still waiting for it to be repaired I’ve only had it in my possession for one day and that was 26th April.... parts apparently take a long time to reach Australia!
Don't know who you're dealing with, but I've never had to wait that long for parts with Arthur Davis at Ducati HQ Byron Bay. Mind though, I've not had starter problems...

2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

I bit the bullet. After wrestling with it to start for 4 hours - she eventually started, and I dropped the bike off at a dealership. I'll update this thread when I find out what the go is.

2011 Monster 1100 Evio, Termis, TuneBoyed.
2009 Monster 1100, Scorpion Exhaust, Waspworks, Powercommander (written off - cab driver)

Sydney Australia.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 PM

Iíll be very interested in finding out what the resolve is!
Iím still waiting for mine.!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Let us know what the dealer comes up with. Have had a similar issue with mine. Tried most of the same things you have.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...m9ZMXk3RVRsRUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode