Monster 1100 evo 2011 - Will only start when planets align.
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I've had my 1100 Evo for approximately 18 months and this is the first bit of drama. This is my 2nd 1100, the first one was written off by a Cab driver on his mobile.
Here's how it goes:
- Failed to start one morning. Leading up to it, temperature in Sydney Australia was starting to drop. Starting would take 2-3 goes, and would start first go if the engine was warm.
- Now, slow crank, made quicker with throttle open. Left the bike on charger otherwise would kill the battery trying to start
- Things Iíve checked:
○ Replaced spark plugs - I have spark to each cylinder (donít know if itís good or bad spark - but I have spark)
○ Measured all battery leads - within spec
○ Checked voltage regulator diodes - all perfect
○ Used a different battery - same issue
○ Checked timing belts and indicators - all good
○ Swapped both relays around - no difference
○ Pulled the fuel tank apart and inspected the fuel pump, filter, electrics, and pipes - all good. Pressure OUT / IN tested - plenty, but donít know how much exactly. My thumb had a hard time stopping the fuel coming out when I turned the ignition on - I however didnít try to crank whilst I had my thumb on the IN to simulate backpressure to injectors
○ NOT the starter solenoid or starter - she cranks
- Now, hereís where it gets interesting
○ This method mostly doesnít work, but may be a hint of whatís going on. I tried the extra priming trick where you leave the kill switch on and press the start button for up to 17 seconds. The bike backfired, so at least I know I have COMBUSTION. Leave the bike ignition on (with charger on of course) for 10 minutes, come back, start bike with open throttle - she starts. Left on and rode around the block 4KMs, turn engine off in garage - wonít start again.
○ I then inject 5ml of petrol per cylinder - get the same behaviour as the primer trick, but instead of backfire, the engine tries to start and nearly catches on. Leave the bike for 10 mins with ignition off. Return to bike, primer trick, attempt to start - and she starts!
Any pointers would be appreciated.
(I don't know what happened to my first post - as I can't find it. Apologies if this comes out a 2nd time).