Looking for opinions on brake rotors - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Looking for opinions on brake rotors

Thanks for everybody's help up front and first. My 2009 M1100 non-ABS is in need of brakes. I'm looking for opinions, and better yet actually, personal experiences about the various flavors of both rotors and pads as well as vendors you like. Rotors, Round? Wavy? Stainless? Carbon Steel? Cast Iron? Pads, Sintered? Ceramic? Carbon? Organic? Pros and Cons? Not looking for the cheapest, but the best use of what I'm able to spend. Safe rides for you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Your bike has excellent brembo brakes as stock equipment so no need to upgrade unless you're gonna build a track bike or a show bike.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker Indy Rules View Post
Your bike has excellent brembo brakes as stock equipment so no need to upgrade unless you're gonna build a track bike or a show bike.
I totally agree with all that. However, I'm using EBC parts on some automotive projects with great returns. The EBC parts are slightly cheaper than Brembo and even with the vanity/cosmetic no real added value functions of wavyness and color anodized carriers are still a few clams less than Brembo. Wavy rotors have a look, but I associate the actual need for that more with a dirt bike that has a greater need to clear trash from the friction surface. I know some say they cool a little better as well, but I'd wager that's more sales pitch than science. I'd also bet those carbon air scoops for the calipers shed more heat at speed than a few scallops and slots. I'd go HH pads it's what I've been using anyway. Thanks for your opinion, always looking for sensible advise and things I haven't seen or heard of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Lisa View Post
Thanks for everybody's help up front and first. My 2009 M1100 non-ABS is in need of brakes. I'm looking for opinions, and better yet actually, personal experiences about the various flavors of both rotors and pads as well as vendors you like. Rotors, Round? Wavy? Stainless? Carbon Steel? Cast Iron? Pads, Sintered? Ceramic? Carbon? Organic? Pros and Cons? Not looking for the cheapest, but the best use of what I'm able to spend. Safe rides for you all.
I have EBC contour (wavy) rotors with HH sintered pads. Love the combo. Pads were recommended by the dealer. Rotors were a bangin deal from motorcycle superstore before they went out of business. Main reason I went with the EBC rotors is that they were cheaper than OEM with the sale they had.

2012 Monster 1100 Evo
Termi stainless slip-ons
Power Commander V, tune by Redline in Yorktown
14T sprocket
Rizoma mirrors
Rizoma grips
Rizoma levers
Rizoma fluid reservoirs
HID low beam
EBC Contour rotors / HH sintered pads
Evap Canister delete
Stebel Nautilus Horn
Tail tidy

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your insights, I've pretty much decided on that same combination. The next extra cash I get.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM

Speaking of EBC....

I had been using EBC Double-H sintered pads on my last 5 or 6 Ducs, with really no problems. Recently I bought a complete pad replacement for my Multistrada prior to riding to COTA for MotoGP. My master Ducati tech pal shuddered when I brought him the pads, "oh no, I'm not putting EBC Double-H pads on this bike, it will destroy your rotors. EBC pads eat brake rotors!". First I had ever heard of that. Ever. So then I asked 4 or 5 other Ducati pals that are also techs, and they all said the same thing - EBC Double-H sintered pads on Brembo rotors will damage the rotor. Have you guys ever heard this before?

2013 M1100 EVO 20th Anniversary 93/200
2013 Multistrada S Touring
Gone but not forgotten: 916, 748, 749, 999, 996, ST2, Sport Classic 1000, 748 again, 848
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode