1Likes
  • 1 Post By philb

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

1100s vs evo

Hi guys,

I have 2 option available at this moment

Monster 1100S 2009 with 41000 miles
Monster 1100 Evo 2012 with 18000 miles

I had 696 in the past and absolutely love the monsters (espicailly air cooled).
Can you please advice me from your experience ?
41000 miles considered high ?

Thanks!
Roei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:07 PM

I'd be looking at a few other small details before deciding...

Price
Condition
Owners
Maintenance records

With you on the air-cooled monsters. I have a '13 1100 Evo (Diesel) and '13 796. Love them both.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

41K is considered high by most people, but isn't really a problem *if* the bike has been maintained well. I've seen several Monsters and Supersports with over 100K on them, and had 265K on my own M900 Monster.

I have heard that the bottom end and cases are more robust on the pre-Evo bikes. The S model has a better suspension as well. I'd go with whichever one is in better condition and with better records of maintenance. But if they're both about the same for that aspect, I'd pick the older one, all else being equal.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)

Last edited by philb; 02-12-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM

Garage
As Phil says, I would not worry about mileage if the bike has been well maintained.
Rather I would ask what sort of riding to you intend to do?
The 1100S has better suspension which comes in handy when riding twisty roads or track day.
However it has a dry clutch (more maintenance) and generates a lot of heat when sitting in traffic.
The Evo has better ergonomics (higher handle bar and rear set) and different exhaust routing which makes it slightly more bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
I have heard that the bottom end and cases are more robust on the pre-Evo bikes.
PhilB
Would you mind to elaborate? Is that because the cases are produced using vaccuum die-casting?
Has there been reports of damage not due to crash?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 PM

The mileage isn't an issue in my book, but I'd still try to get a much lower price for the S.

Beyond the mileage, it's a matter of taste. Dry clutch versus wet, suspension, exhaust placement, color.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFraussie View Post
... Would you mind to elaborate? Is that because the cases are produced using vaccuum die-casting?
Has there been reports of damage not due to crash?
I don't know the details exactly. The Evo cases are lighter and thinner. I've heard they don't survive crashes as well, and that there have been failures from having the kickstand plate bolted to them. I've heard of bearing failures, possibly attributable to reduced rigidity of the cases. I do not have concrete examples of failure; I just have rumors. But I've heard several such rumors now, and so I hold a bit of suspicion.

For the great majority of riders, they are probably totally fine. If they were having frequent problems, I'm sure we'd all know about them. But for me, 80K is average for keeping a bike, and my last Ducati had 265K on it, so I'm sensitive to these things.

PhilB
LeFraussie likes this.

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
I don't know the details exactly. The Evo cases are lighter and thinner. I've heard they don't survive crashes as well, and that there have been failures from having the kickstand plate bolted to them. I've heard of bearing failures, possibly attributable to reduced rigidity of the cases. I do not have concrete examples of failure; I just have rumors. But I've heard several such rumors now, and so I hold a bit of suspicion.

For the great majority of riders, they are probably totally fine. If they were having frequent problems, I'm sure we'd all know about them. But for me, 80K is average for keeping a bike, and my last Ducati had 265K on it, so I'm sensitive to these things.

PhilB
Thanks to the mighty Google, I could find a few threads on other Ducati forum on the subject. But no definitive conclusion. Most cracked crankcases were due to crash from what I've read. And who knows if a sand cast vs die cast would have a difference. Bearing failures seems widespread among Ducati sportsbikes regardless of the crankcase. From the threads, it seems related to the characteristics of the bearing and not the crankcase casting. Maybe someone more knowledgeable might chime in.

IMHO for someone interested to put a lots of kms/miles on a Monster 696/796/1100, the odometer having only 5 digits and getting stuck at 99999 would be the main issue. As far as I know there is no solution to this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFraussie View Post
Thanks to the mighty Google, I could find a few threads on other Ducati forum on the subject. But no definitive conclusion. Most cracked crankcases were due to crash from what I've read. And who knows if a sand cast vs die cast would have a difference. Bearing failures seems widespread among Ducati sportsbikes regardless of the crankcase. From the threads, it seems related to the characteristics of the bearing and not the crankcase casting. Maybe someone more knowledgeable might chime in.

IMHO for someone interested to put a lots of kms/miles on a Monster 696/796/1100, the odometer having only 5 digits and getting stuck at 99999 would be the main issue. As far as I know there is no solution to this.
Has this been an issue? It can probably be reset by a dealer or an online service provider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode