Rear brake is non existent... - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:54 AM

Garage
I feel like there is too much pedal travel before bite with the rear brake. (2012 1100 Evo) Standard rear master is Part-no. 10477610: Brembo rear master cylinder PS 11B, mount spacing: 40 mm, piston diameter 11 mm.
Seems there are 12 and 13mm masters with same mount spacing and take-offs for res and brake line.

I'm getting Part-no. 10477620: Brembo rear master cylinder PS 13B, mount spacing : 40 mm, piston diameter 13 mm. Once here, fitted and bled, I'll post whether I wasted my money or not.

2012 Monster 1100 Evo ABS
2008 Monster S4RS Tricolore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Garage
Less travel but more effort. Quite possible the 12mm master would have been the better choice, but it's OK. Don't need a touchy rear brake anyway.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:17 AM

I bled mine with the calliper upside down, its been good for 200 miles now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:12 PM
Bub

That's my next move. Was it possible to monkey with the caliper w/o removing the rear wheel, or is that just wishful thinking...
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:01 AM

Garage
Yes. You have to undo the two caliper mounting bolts and on my 2012 1100 Evo I had to undo the plastic cover/guide on the underside of the swingarm for the brake line to be able to flip the caliper. I put a metal spacer between the pads so they wouldn't close up and make the caliper hard to get back on. Also attached clear plastic tube to bleed nipple and ran it into a clean bottle, so no mess, and you can see when you stop getting air bubbles.

Ah, shite. My brake pedal slowly getting longer travel. I'm going to have to bleed it again.

Last edited by alancsalt; 06-20-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Bub

Awesome, looks like a 6mm hex. I'm not much of a wrench so appreciate this thread.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:29 PM

Garage
Even when bled, it is the weakest rear brake I have ever used. I do most braking with the front but some effectiveness in the rear is useful at times.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:29 AM

Garage
I feel like there is too much pedal travel before bite with the rear brake.
Insufficient improvement with bleeding, even using the inverted caliper method.

(2012 1100 Evo) Standard rear master is Part-no. 10477610: Brembo rear master cylinder PS 11B, mount spacing: 40 mm, piston diameter 11 mm.
Seems there are 12 and 13mm masters with same mount spacing and take-offs for res and brake line.

I'm getting Part-no. 10477620: Brembo rear master cylinder PS 13B, mount spacing : 40 mm, piston diameter 13 mm. Once here, fitted and bled, I'll post whether I wasted my money or not.
Insufficient or nil improvement. Still a weak brake.

I believe trying to adjust the plunger rod is only useful if there is actual slack/clearance there. If adjusted beyond the point where the master piston bottoms out, then the system doesn't bleed back, and the rear brake can lock unexpectedly. (fail to release). This can also prevent reverse bleeding.

Decided to try bleeding at the ABS unit.
Ordered bleed nipple banjos from ebay. "Single Red CNC Banjo Bolt M10 x 1.00 with Bleed Nipple Screw Valve"
They turned out to be too tall. The fuel tank does not clear their extra length. I had to settle for a rough bleed by cracking the banjo bolts just enough to allow brake fluid to come out. There was froth (air).

So far, the pedal is still weak, but at least it now works. (After leaving the bike standing for a couple of months I had come back to it only to find the rear brake non-existent.)

I have ordered different banjo bolts with bleeders that have as little extra length as possible.
https://motowheels.com/i-6921382-sin...wiss-made.html

Found a reference to a service bulletin for 1200 Multistrada which sounds like the same issue:
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...brake_bleeding

"Try the bike on the road at about 50 km/h and act only on the rear brake until the ABS has been activated at least 10 times.
Check that the stroke of the rear brake lever has not increased, otherwise repeat the bleeding procedure."

OK, did that and then bled the whole thing again, including both banjo bolts on the ABS, and on the master.

Best brake pedal since buying it. Cheesus, what a saga.

(After all that, I found this. [Haven't tried it]:
1. Ride bike till abs light goes off, then ride back to where bike will be fixed, next shut off bike with kill switch. (leaving key on with abs light out. The abs system is on and open this way)

2. Put bike on stand or jack up bike up and remove rear wheel.

3. Remove rear brake caliper and position on top of rear disc (or rear brake rotor, same thing)

4. Top off rear brake reservoir (use dot 4 fluid) and bleed rear brakes by opening bleeder valve then pushing down rear brake lever, close bleeder valve before you let the brake lever return to the up position and repeat until brake lever becomes normal again. (don't let reservoir run out of fluid)

The real key to this job is making sure the abs system is on and active as there might be air trapped in the abs unit.)

If I slowly lose my pedal again, I'll try that.

Last edited by alancsalt; 03-01-2019 at 03:36 AM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:16 AM

Did you find a fix for your rear brakes yet? I recently bought a 2012 1100 EVO and the same is happening. Basically it has no rear brakes. On the first ride I did less than 10 miles. Totally fried my rotor, lost all my pad materials, ABS bolt backed out and locked rear wheel up, melted a hole in the brake line and part of the caliber. So I have bought a caliber, brake line, pads, rotor and ABS bolts. Put it all on yesterday, did the upside down caliber bleed and I still have very little to no braking. I see why the guy sold this thing!
I'll probably just ride it, but would be nice to have a rear brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode