2012 Monster 1100 EVO - problem starting the bike - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ron View Post
At about 12000km my bike started to cut out at idle and was hard to start. It turned out that the valves were too tight. I would have never suspected the valves. I hope a simple fix as changing your oil is the answer, but I would do a major service or at least change all the fluids and filters.
I was just thinking about just riding until the problem become an everyday thing and take it to the dealer. If there are problems with the valve, is this something that I can hold off or is it something that will damage the engine or other components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Garage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cks0213 View Post
I was just thinking about just riding until the problem become an everyday thing and take it to the dealer. If there are problems with the valve, is this something that I can hold off or is it something that will damage the engine or other components?
Don't take this as gospel, but if the problem has gone don't read more into it. Has all the suggested servicing been done by a "competent" mechanic? If so, the engine will settle with use and valves will need to be adjusted, but that is life for motorcyclist. I would say continue to ride like you stole it and if something comes up then find you a mechanic you like and you can trust.

M1100 EVO Anniversary 140/200
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ron View Post
Don't take this as gospel, but if the problem has gone don't read more into it. Has all the suggested servicing been done by a "competent" mechanic? If so, the engine will settle with use and valves will need to be adjusted, but that is life for motorcyclist. I would say continue to ride like you stole it and if something comes up then find you a mechanic you like and you can trust.
Thanks for the suggestion. The suggested servicing has been done, so I think I'm going to just ride until the next major service and get these things looked into then like you said.
So far, I have never had any starting issue incidents.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:11 PM

i just experienced this today with mine, exactly as you described. i'm going to do the same and wait to see if it becomes a regular problem. that will make it easier to diagnose anyway.

do me a favor and keep us posted and i'll do the same if the problem becomes worse.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
i just experienced this today with mine, exactly as you described. i'm going to do the same and wait to see if it becomes a regular problem. that will make it easier to diagnose anyway.

do me a favor and keep us posted and i'll do the same if the problem becomes worse.
Will do. It may take some time but I do want to share the "solution"
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Unlikely to be the fuel filter from what you say. Possibly running a bit lean or could be throttle position sensor. Duc dealer should be able to run diagnostic check for you to rule out any electronics but this doesn't sound a major issue if it only happens once in a while.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 AM

I have a 2012 Monster 1100EVO and it does it EVERYDAY!!! I hate to actually say this but, this bike is the biggest POS I have ever owned. Just recently my front brakes have zero brake pressure. Anyone have thier duc backfire through the throttle bodies? Mine does it all the time. DUc dealer says there is nothing wrong with the bike. Been to two differant dealers too. Anyone want to buy a lightly used EVO?
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 PM

My 2013 did the same exact thing, but then would idle really high after riding for a few minutes. There was a split in one of the vacuum lines connecting to one of the throttle bodies. Once this was replaced, everything has been great, no more surging at low speeds either.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AircooledEVO View Post
I have a 2012 Monster 1100EVO and it does it EVERYDAY!!! I hate to actually say this but, this bike is the biggest POS I have ever owned. Just recently my front brakes have zero brake pressure. Anyone have thier duc backfire through the throttle bodies? Mine does it all the time. DUc dealer says there is nothing wrong with the bike. Been to two differant dealers too. Anyone want to buy a lightly used EVO?
could the backfire be due to poorly adjusted timing belts?
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

This is a thread in another monster forum regarding the topic as this thread.

http://www.d u c a t i m o n s t e r f o r u m.org/index.php?topic=52673.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode