Complete S2R1000 restoration - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ducman7
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Unadilla NY
Posts: 7
Complete S2R1000 restoration

Just finished my 2006 S2R1000 restoration. Started last October and finished it this August. Frame is Jolly Rancher Red translucent powder coat with Chrome powder coat base and Clear Vision top coat. Wheels and swing arm are Ink Black with Clear Vision top coat powder. Used prismatic powders. Full suspension overhaul and finish by Racetech. Very proud of the finished result.




















Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rosso Classico likes this.
Ducman7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Senior Member

 
toytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Desert Southwest, Arizona
Posts: 2,049
Garage
Fantastic! Love the color combinations, not overdone.

A lot of thought shows. Very, very nice.

1982 Suzuki GSX400E
toytuff is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Unadilla NY
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytuff View Post
Fantastic! Love the color combinations, not overdone.



A lot of thought shows. Very, very nice.


Thank you. I am very proud of it. Came out even better than I imagined it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducman7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,584
Garage
Very fancy.

I had a frame and bits powder coated, it was done in a two part where a white was partially melted then a pink was put over that and the 2 colors were finished up. The white was to make the pink really bright.

Powder coating can be quite thick and I noticed some spots were very thick with the 2 color coating, you did 3? How did that lay down for you?

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Unadilla NY
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
Very fancy.



I had a frame and bits powder coated, it was done in a two part where a white was partially melted then a pink was put over that and the 2 colors were finished up. The white was to make the pink really bright.



Powder coating can be quite thick and I noticed some spots were very thick with the 2 color coating, you did 3? How did that lay down for you?


I did not do the Powdercoat myself. I had a shop in Syracuse do it called Rim Doctor. The translucent red was a little tricky for them but they ended up doing a hot coat where they had the frame in the chrome base powder warmed in the oven prior to applying the red and it came out beautiful. It is a little tricky but the frame number is still legible. I requested they only put the clear on the inside surface where the engine mounts so I could sand it down easily and have good contact for ground. I walked them through what to mask off on the other parts so I could avoid figment issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducman7 is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,584
Garage
I'll bet the red was tricky. Sounds like the pink I used. It was clear in the bag.

As well I used a shop and like most powder coating shops, they do black all day everyday. Lol. So when they got the white ready to accept the pink they didn't know what was going on when they applied it. It became very much a wait and see game as to how it came out of the oven. There was a spot they doubled up on the powder when they realized they couldn't really see how it was laying down. Then they shrugged their shoulders and let it rip.

Mine came out really nice but you could tell it was a learning curve for everyone. I'm glad yours worked out well for you.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Unadilla NY
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
I'll bet the red was tricky. Sounds like the pink I used. It was clear in the bag.



As well I used a shop and like most powder coating shops, they do black all day everyday. Lol. So when they got the white ready to accept the pink they didn't know what was going on when they applied it. It became very much a wait and see game as to how it came out of the oven. There was a spot they doubled up on the powder when they realized they couldn't really see how it was laying down. Then they shrugged their shoulders and let it rip.



Mine came out really nice but you could tell it was a learning curve for everyone. I'm glad yours worked out well for you.


Actually that is why I chose the shop. They actually had good experience. But they had not done many frames. The gas out kept happening at the welds on my frame. They really did an awesome job. I will be doing a little more radical Monster build next year and I will definitely be using the Rim Doctor again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducman7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome