Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster 821 color change

9K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  cjkickz 
#1 ·
I have it in matte black but would like to change to a non-matte color - not sure what yet. I liked the gray that I saw in an ad, and like the Star White Silk as well.

Does anyone know where to buy such a kit? I can find nothing on eBay or in any of my searches so far.

#3 ·
Looks like you are right, thanks. Where the 696 had pieces that I could swap in, the 821 tank is one large unit. ColorRite looks okay but they don't have the gray/silver I'm looking for, only red and Star White Silk.

Maybe I can find a shop to do it here in the Bay Area, as this is looking daunting.

#8 ·
How about a vinyl wrap? That way you retain/protect the original stock Italian color scheme for the next owner w/o hurting the value of the bike. I've had a set wrapped for years and they still look great, no problems with spilled fuel, etc.

#11 ·
Got bumped by a cager and dropped my bike, left side of the tank was dent, got his insurance covered for new one but I decided to get it fix and repaint ($1000 for dent fixed and repaint at a local shop compared to replacing a brand new OEM tank for $2000 ).
Always loved the 1200R shiny black so I decided to have it painted in gloss black, also some other goodies [emoji18]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
My bike is a M796, so there are R&L "tank" panels wrapped individually as well as the flyscreen and seat cowl. Probably a little harder to wrap the one piece tanks like on the 821, but maybe not for a pro. I've done a few smaller bits in 3M carbon look vinyl after watching youtube, and it's not as easy as it looks!

Here's a pic of a cool wrap I'd like to have done someday- they did it in two colors of silver/black chrome, w/red pinstripes to conceal the seams.

Attachments

#16 ·
That opinion is wrong :grin

Black on red from a graphic design point of view is one of the most dominant duo-tones, it's sporty and very dynamic something which suits the monster , also, monster 695, monster 796, Diavel Carbon Red and Diavel 1260 S would also like to have a word ;)

OP, stellar looking bike dude, my only "objection" is the red hoses (as it gets too "busy") and the red oil cooler shroud.

Another amazing looking duo-tone is the white on red (S4RS/M796) one, there's a dude that did that on his M1200S (alongside white wheels), you can find pictures on google of it ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.