Monster 821 color change - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
mpn

Monster 821 color change

I have it in matte black but would like to change to a non-matte color - not sure what yet. I liked the gray that I saw in an ad, and like the Star White Silk as well.

Does anyone know where to buy such a kit? I can find nothing on eBay or in any of my searches so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:17 PM

Garage
All those colors are painted...if you want factory colors try ColorRite...the 796 models had plastic covers you could swap...not so lucky with the 821

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
mpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
All those colors are painted...if you want factory colors try ColorRite...the 796 models had plastic covers you could swap...not so lucky with the 821

Looks like you are right, thanks. Where the 696 had pieces that I could swap in, the 821 tank is one large unit. ColorRite looks okay but they don't have the gray/silver I'm looking for, only red and Star White Silk.

Maybe I can find a shop to do it here in the Bay Area, as this is looking daunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpn View Post
Looks like you are right, thanks. Where the 696 had pieces that I could swap in, the 821 tank is one large unit. ColorRite looks okay but they don't have the gray/silver I'm looking for, only red and Star White Silk.

Maybe I can find a shop to do it here in the Bay Area, as this is looking daunting.
Factory colors are kept under lock and key...I wanna say Lechler is the European supplier... absolutely use factory colors for red or it will inherently look off ..I always see custom jobs with an off red as being cheap...I don't care how much time they spent...they fumbled with using a different red...or maybe they really are Honda aficionados...it's the bikes identity...outside of the red; it's fair game...shows creativity...extends the narrative...looking forward to repainting my own...

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpn View Post

Try to stay with a stock color, otherwise people will assume it was repainted because you threw it down the road, not because you just wanted a different look.
Rosso Classico likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Factory colors are kept under lock and key...I wanna say Lechler is the European supplier... absolutely use factory colors for red or it will inherently look off ..I always see custom jobs with an off red as being cheap...I don't care how much time they spent...they fumbled with using a different red...or maybe they really are Honda aficionados...it's the bikes identity...outside of the red; it's fair game...shows creativity...extends the narrative...looking forward to repainting my own...

Οr, he could go to a shop, use a Spectrometer and the color will be 99.9% right

@ Original poster : Sorry but...what "kit" are you talking about ? Didn't you notice that the tank is 1-piece ? I mean, sure, you could get an OEM seatcowl and front fender from Ducati but the tank...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffsdad505 View Post
Try to stay with a stock color, otherwise people will assume it was repainted because you threw it down the road, not because you just wanted a different look.
Problem is, he's got the dark version which has a black trellis, the red and silk white ones have a red trellis so it will be a color combo mismatch either way - unless he has a a 2018 model which he could paint it yellow as it's the only one with a (also) black frame
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Bub

How about a vinyl wrap? That way you retain/protect the original stock Italian color scheme for the next owner w/o hurting the value of the bike. I've had a set wrapped for years and they still look great, no problems with spilled fuel, etc.

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
How about a vinyl wrap? That way you retain/protect the original stock Italian color scheme for the next owner w/o hurting the value of the bike. I've had a set wrapped for years and they still look great, no problems with spilled fuel, etc.
Would love to see what the wrap looks like with a pic or 2?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Bub

sky's the limit. in the future i would like to do a simple grey/metallic silver colorClick image for larger version

Name:	monster1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	220358
Buhgaboo likes this.

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode