Front Wheel Stand Options - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Front Wheel Stand Options

What are some good options for a front stand lift? I have a Monster 696 and need to remove the front wheel for replacing the tire. I'm looking at the Pit Bull triple tree lift, Pit Bull front fork lift, or the Venom triple tree lift. Pit Bulls are great but $155 for the fork lift and $190 for the triple tree. Venom is around $80. I believe the fork lift model can be used to lift the front by placing it under the caliper brackets, then you have access to the bottom of the forks and the pinch bolts. Has anyone tried lifting on the caliper brackets? Triple tree lift is probably the best way to go but also the most expensive.

2010 Monster 696, 1981 Yamaha DT175, 1979 Yamaha XT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:27 PM

Just my two cents but I would say you would be better off with the Pitbull stand even though they are expensive. I have a Pitbull rear stand for my bike and it is bullet proof. I got a Trackside front stand for X-mas and while it does the job I wouldn't recommend it. The pads that engage the bottom of the forks to lift the bike are sketchy AF and it feels flimsy compared to Pitbull. I always thought that the only reason for a head-lift or triple tree lift type stand would be if you needed to remove the forks entirely off the bike. With the trackside or other standard fork lift stand you can still remove the front tire easily.

2001 M900Sie - Mine
2006 Buell Blast - Wife
1971 Yamaha R5-350 - Work in Progress
1971 R5 #2 patiently waiting in the shed
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
They are expensive as can be but my vote goes to Bursig, https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ter-lift-stand

I've got a Handy ride on lift, it's great but can be difficult to change tires due to needing to keep one wheel in a clamp to prevent tip over. Personally I do not much care for any track stands that do not incorporate their own holding device. My poor S4RS fell off of a Pitbull swing arm stand and on to me when I was washing it. Oh so fortunate that nothing happened to the bike or myself.

I built my own contraption after seeing some great ideas of using ratchet straps. If you have a garage you can sink a few eye lags into your studs and lift the bike up with straps. I am a pipe fitter so I cut up some 1" black pipe, a couple of tees, a couple of 90's and some unions that allow it to break down for storage, and I had a frame that I can place anywhere over a bike and lift it using ratchet straps. Cost me $12 for straps.

The Bursig allows you to do damn near most anything with ease. It really is the greatest thing I've seen in 20 years that allows an owner to remove both wheels safely and take them in for new tires without fear of the bike falling during the process. If the $500 price is just too prohibitive then I would go with Pitbull. I have used a friend's Pitbull triple stand when we changed out the wheels and tires on my Paul Smart. It felt super sketchy. The parts of the stand were extremely close to some of my body work. It felt tippy. It got the job done, probably would get the job done again if needed.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with using a cheaper stand like the Venom for the front. For the rear, I stick with Pitbull because it's something I use constantly whether or lubing the chain or just standing the bike up straight to work on it. However, how often are you really going to use a front lift stand? Normally just to service the forks or pull the wheel off for tire changes which isn't that often.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 05:42 PM

I've been using T-Rex stands for half a dozen years now and haven't had a single issue. They're well made and not expensive and you can find them on ebay or their web site. My SSSA bikes are on them and I have a couple triple tree front stands same brand, they're beefy and not that expensive. I had the front stands that lift by the caliper brackets but I got away from them they had limitations that the triple tree stands don't have.

I had a Venom rear stand I used for two years until I sold that bike and let it go with the bike. I never had an issue with it or felt it couldn't support the bike.

I second the Bursig, I have one for my 749S that's actually sold now so I need to get a plate for it that will allow me to use it on another bike.
You really can do anything to the bike on this stand and what's really cool about it is how you can move the bike around in the garage when mounted.

07 S4RT Titanium
05 S2R 800
02 Foggy
07 Sportster 883L
06 MTS

Last edited by dk1six; 06-24-2018 at 05:52 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys. I decided to go with the Pitbull triple tree stand. My brother has had one for 15 years and likes it. I could have just borrowed his and bought the $15 pin to fit my bike, but I like having my own stuff. I could have bought a Venom front triple tree stand for half the price, but the Pit Bull is better. The Venom isn't bad though. I do have the Venom rear stand and it works well and fits my bike perfectly. Maybe someday I'll have a Bursig!

2010 Monster 696, 1981 Yamaha DT175, 1979 Yamaha XT500
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:13 AM

Thanks for posting. The Bursig jack stand was exactly what I needed for my space. It's perfect and very convenient for a small home garage. Now i just need to sell my pitbull rear stand haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode