Rearsets?? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rearsets??

So, second trackday and I'm scraping my toe against the ground. I know the next thing thats going to hit long before my knee is my stock footpeg. The solution I think is rearsets.

My questions is are there any "bad" rearsets? Any brand or model that does not make the cut? I know Woodcraft bring your foot up 2" and back 1" and are adjustable +/- .25".

Suggestions? Recommendations?

"I have to get a licence to drive a motorcycle to protect myself and the people around me. I am adamant there should be some sort of licensing required to have children." - Tim Allen

2002 CB750 SOLD
2010 M1100 Silver
2009 M1100S Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:38 PM

Garage
First, I personally feel rearsets are way overpriced but I have always used Rizoma. I can not comment on other brands but have heard good things about Gilles rearsets.

Given the cost I would research all and get the set with the most adjustment "for you" but would stay away from the low end sets. Waste of money down the road.

Another factor since you do track days are replacement parts. Rizoma sells all parts to their rearsets.

Good luck in your search.

tt

1982 Suzuki GSX400E
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I personally like Sato racing unless you can swing Aella-Casuno. The Sato have gobs of mounting possibilities and most you can swap the right "dog bone" for the left, as well as turn them over leading to many more combinations. The foot pegs hold tight and allow you to easily put all your weight on them. They also shift and brake like butter with all the bearings in place. When I see Rizoma I tend to think hmmph there were so many others available. Sorry TT, not aimed at you it's just their parts are so overpriced.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 PM

Garage
None taken.

tt

1982 Suzuki GSX400E
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene996 View Post
So, second trackday and I'm scraping my toe against the ground. I know the next thing thats going to hit long before my knee is my stock footpeg. The solution I think is rearsets.

My questions is are there any "bad" rearsets? Any brand or model that does not make the cut? I know Woodcraft bring your foot up 2" and back 1" and are adjustable +/- .25".

Suggestions? Recommendations?
Let them hit, they are hinged and other than some noise and sparks will do little damage just lift your inside foot a little when it happens. When you start rubbing metal off the pegs then start looking @ rearsets.

Not intending to be vulgar, but move you ass in the direction your turning and you likely will not need rearsets for some time.

You need to start hanging off if your not already doing so. If you are positioned on the bike properly (weight forward and balls of you feet on the pegs) your boots will touch down 1st. Until that is happening your money is better spent elsewere.

Experience speaking here BTW, you toss those pegs on there it will give you the confidence to stuff it into a corner a lot harder than the bike or you can handle. The result will be a big repair/hospital bill.

If it were my money I was spending....I would by the cheapest set I could find, they will likely get trashed. Not sure what monster you own, but these will solve your problem for short money:

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catal...egs-p-270.html

Again, get the fork/shock sorted 1st. But what the hell do I know...i'm just some jackass on the internet so get the rearsets.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshinn View Post
Let them hit, they are hinged and other than some noise and sparks will do little damage just lift your inside foot a little when it happens. When you start rubbing metal off the pegs then start looking @ rearsets.

You need to start hanging off if your not already doing so. If you are positioned on the bike properly (weight forward and balls of you feet on the pegs) your boots will touch down 1st. Until that is happening your money is better spent elsewere.

Again, get the fork/shock sorted 1st. But what the hell do I know...i'm just some jackass on the internet so get the rearsets.

I should elaborate a little more about myself since I am not actually such a n00b at all.

I have been riding motorcycles for 10 years. Always with a CB750 and some Ducati. My first Duc was a 2001 996, and what I am riding now is the Ducati Monster 1100 (2010).

Yes, my riding experience is Canyon Riding (90%) and Commuting (10%), and no track time until now, but I think the general idea of "You do not want to low-side/high-side", and you want to learn as much as you can is the same feeling.

The position of the pegs is not holding me back from stuffing it harder into a corner. I didn't feel like I needed to "stuff it" harder into that corner yet. I was way more excited that I had mastered entering it with smooth power, taking the right line and accelerating earlier and through out the rest of it. If you have ever seen MotoGP in Assen, NL this is the big sweeping, widening corder at the West end of the track. When I am ready to stuff it harder, I do not want to be thinking about my pegs scraping the ground.

On that note, you must have missed it in my first post: my boot IS scraping the ground, and I do hang off my bike at the track, I feel more like a gorilla on a tree than a rider on an italian steed at this point.

I just ready Keith Code's book before going to the track this last time, and before it was like trying to build and IKEA cabinet with out instructions. Now I had the instructions.

Sometimes those jackasses on the internet aren't so stupid. My first trackway they had a free suspension guy who adjusted my bike after a few laps, and that already made a hell of a difference so I know you are right about having the suspension fully set up. My trackways in Holland are done for the year and I am going back to California in 4 days so that is at the top of my list for when I get back this winter.

But it doesn't hurt to buy rearsets in the meantime, does it? Especially since they are cheaper in the states than in Europe.

"I have to get a licence to drive a motorcycle to protect myself and the people around me. I am adamant there should be some sort of licensing required to have children." - Tim Allen

2002 CB750 SOLD
2010 M1100 Silver
2009 M1100S Red

Last edited by marlene996; 08-11-2015 at 03:39 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 06:24 AM

Garage
I hit the Aella-Casuno web site and looked at the foot pegs. Wide range of adjustment. I also looked at rearsets. They are more proud of theirs than Rizoma.

They are beautiful however. Some other neat stuff also. Thinking about those swing arm bolts.

tt

1982 Suzuki GSX400E
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM

I went down on my CBR because of rigid aftermarket pegs and poor body position. I wasn't hanging off the bike enough and leaned the bike in enough that the peg caught the ground. You definitely sound like you have more training than I did at the time, but even with the additional experience I now have, I don't know if I ever want to go to rigid pegs after that crash. I lost my most favorite bike.

When my foot was dragging at the track on my Monster, an instructor followed me and said my problem was not getting off the bike enough and not leaning my shoulders in enough either. I was making the same mistake of leaning the bike too much and not my body. If you feel confident that you definitely have body language down on the bike then I say get some Sato rearsets. They're expensive but top of the line. Rizoma too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 AM

I ride a s2r1000 with setup suspension(Ohlins shock and Racetech forks), and rear slightly raised. Before I did my track day on my Monster I was worried about dragging parts. The only part that dragged during the trackday was my right boot because my bad body position for right corners and my boot positioned improperly. After looking at some pictures I had PLENTY of clearance. I do have PSR pegs just to get extra grip. Because I was worried about dragging parts, I was hanging way off than usual. Now I know I don't need to.

I would recommend getting some gripper pegs, and use the money you saved on suspension and trackdays. I now have no desire to get rearsets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	176145  

Last edited by SwiftTone; 08-11-2015 at 11:10 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
The only part that dragged during the trackday was my right boot because my bad body position for right corners and my boot positioned improperly.
This was a problem for me on my last track day. But a good point. I just emailed the photographer if he has any pictures of me, so that I can check this also. I wasn't going to buy them because I thought, "I have some from last time", but for $30, it's worth having them to look at position.

I will ask someone to watch me next time before I invest in rearsets, since the consensus seems to be lean angle and position. But I have also read that the pegs on the 2009-2011 Monster series are some of the lowest stock pegs on any bike. Food for thought.

If I get some pictures I'll post them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode