jp129's Monster S4 build - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydanczer View Post
Great job! I absolutely LOVE the exhaust! Is there any chance I could get you to make me one of those 2-into-1 headers? I just got a 2001 S4 and it has Akropovic high pipes on it. They're nice but I just really don't like the look of high pipes. I've looked at the Quat D Exbox exhaust too and don't like it either. Your setup is exactly what I've been looking for. Anyway, if I could persuade you to make me a pipe like that, I'd totally order an R-55 and call it a day. Love it!! Eventually I'd like to do a SSS conversion too. Did you find it difficult or were you able to make up an S2R/S4R swingarm easily? Thanks for any input and congrats on the great job!

Cheers,
Dan
Thanks for the kind words, Dan. I'll have to get with my fabricator friend to see if he's willing to consider the idea. The whole reason I decided to fab my own was the same exact reason you stated. Plus this allows me to have something unique and one-off.

The SSS conversion wasn't too hard. It does take a bit of work and lots of research on what you'll need to make things come together smoothly. But many have done it, so you'll be able to find the info on the net. It's rather challenging to acquire all the parts for a reasonable price, but deal do exist if you keep your eyes out. Many will advise that it's not very economical vs just buying an S4R, but I was lucky to find the parts for a reasonable price.

It's been awhile since I've posted any updates. Need to take some pics soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp129 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Dan. I'll have to get with my fabricator friend to see if he's willing to consider the idea. The whole reason I decided to fab my own was the same exact reason you stated. Plus this allows me to have something unique and one-off.

The SSS conversion wasn't too hard. It does take a bit of work and lots of research on what you'll need to make things come together smoothly. But many have done it, so you'll be able to find the info on the net. It's rather challenging to acquire all the parts for a reasonable price, but deal do exist if you keep your eyes out. Many will advise that it's not very economical vs just buying an S4R, but I was lucky to find the parts for a reasonable price.

It's been awhile since I've posted any updates. Need to take some pics soon...
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing your updated pics!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:47 PM

very nice build, sir. wish i could source parts that easily from where i am. some questions if you don't mind

what gauge cluster is that? would you mind sharing where to get it?

i've been meaning to get that same headlight since i think it really looks good on a monster. is it brighter than the oem? have you any idea how many lumens?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydanczer View Post
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing your updated pics!
Had a chat with my buddy and he says he may entertain the idea in the future, but he's currently working on clearing out 2 months worth of backlog. I wouldn't hold my breath, but feel free to send me a PM about a month from now to follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstard View Post
very nice build, sir. wish i could source parts that easily from where i am. some questions if you don't mind

what gauge cluster is that? would you mind sharing where to get it?

i've been meaning to get that same headlight since i think it really looks good on a monster. is it brighter than the oem? have you any idea how many lumens?

thanks
Gauge cluster is XT Racing GPX Pro 8 (GPS lap timer/data logger), you can buy that from many vendors or XT racing directly. Anything is brighter than the OEM light , but in all seriousness, yes it's got a wider beam pattern. Since the lens is clear, you can also do an HID projector retrofit to increase your output by 5000%. I do not have the lumen information, but that should be dependent on your lighting source.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp129 View Post
Had a chat with my buddy and he says he may entertain the idea in the future, but he's currently working on clearing out 2 months worth of backlog. I wouldn't hold my breath, but feel free to send me a PM about a month from now to follow up.

Gauge cluster is XT Racing GPX Pro 8 (GPS lap timer/data logger), you can buy that from many vendors or XT racing directly. Anything is brighter than the OEM light , but in all seriousness, yes it's got a wider beam pattern. Since the lens is clear, you can also do an HID projector retrofit to increase your output by 5000%. I do not have the lumen information, but that should be dependent on your lighting source.
great. thanks
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 AM

Would you mind sharing the details of how you hooked up the wiring for the dash?
Is it a complicated job?
and any issues with the immobiliser?

Looking to do the same with my '03 S4 but detailed info is nay-on impossible to find.

Cheers. Your bike is stunning

Mick, Ireland.

Last edited by pidgeo; 04-06-2016 at 06:18 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeo View Post
Would you mind sharing the details of how you hooked up the wiring for the dash?
Is it a complicated job?
and any issues with the immobiliser?

Looking to do the same with my '03 S4 but detailed info is nay-on impossible to find.

Cheers. Your bike is stunning

Mick, Ireland.
Immob. wasn't an issue since I am on a Microtec M193 ECU.

The wiring was straight forward since I am bypassing the entire OEM unit. You just wire up what you need (RPM Signal, speed, & water temps, or whatever else you choose). Basically I am just replacing the OEM dash completely with something else. It will require the use of an electrical diagram and some knowledge of wiring, but it'll differ from one display to another. You'll just need a lot of patience and to work carefully, but it's not incredibly difficult.

Thank you for the kind words!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode