Shorai vs Ballistic - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Shorai vs Ballistic

About two months ago I was shopping around for a lithium battery for my 796 and picked up the 8 cell Ballistic for 169$(I think). My factory battery was still performing well, but I was looking for a quick way to shed some weight and try some newer technology. It is significantly smaller and lighter than the factory battery and came with lots of foam to fill the battery box up for fitment on my bike. At first it started my bike with much more oomph and worked great.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago and I'm tired of the issues with getting my bike started. The battery seemed finicky at best and had been since about day two of having it installed. Turning my key to the On position everything would light up and seem fine until pressing the ignition switch, then everything would shut down or I'd get dead battery clicking. I'd repeat this a few times until the battery "warmed up" and finally it would start turning over, but would take a few more tries until firing. During all this, my instrument inputs would reset. My clock and trip would all be back to zeroes.

I pulled the battery and it still had 13.5v, checked the connections and reinstalled it. The same issues continued.

I decided to try a Shorai out. I picked up the LFX18A1-BS12 from a local shop for 189$. It's a quite a bit larger than the Ballistic and is actually pretty close the same size as the factory battery and I didn't have to use much foam to fill the box at all, it's also still considerably lighter than factory. It starts my bike first try every time and I haven't had to re-input anything into my instrument unit. Zero issues in two weeks.

TLR: I'm much more satisfied with Shorai over Ballistic and will update this after a bit more time with the Shorai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Do you keep the bike on a tender when stored? I've been kicking around battery options because, let's face it, it's only a matter of time before the stock battery gives up the ghost.

2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I installed Shorai in my three bikes a couple of years ago. Still going great.

'04 Monster 1000S - Sold
'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track Bike
'14 MV Agusta Rivale 800 EAS ABS
'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS
'16 Norton Commando 961 SF
'19 SWM SM 500 R Supermoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

My work schedule has me on a rotation 3 weeks at home for every 3 weeks away at work. One of the big selling points for a lithium battery is that I wouldn't have to keep it on a tender while away at work like the old lead battery. This may have been a contributing factor with the Ballistic failing, and I haven't been away from my bike long enough to see if any problems will come up with the Shorai.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post
Do you keep the bike on a tender when stored? I've been kicking around battery options because, let's face it, it's only a matter of time before the stock battery gives up the ghost.
If you get a Shorai, you can use a battery maintainer. Just be sure you get the correct type. Basic "trickle" chargers can destroy a Shorai.

From Shorai website:
"Q. CAN I USE LEAD-ACID BATTERY CHARGERS OR CHARGER/TENDERS?
A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX. "
http://store.shoraipower.com/FAQ.html

I've used the Battery Tender Plus on each of my Shorai for two years with good results.

'04 Monster 1000S - Sold
'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track Bike
'14 MV Agusta Rivale 800 EAS ABS
'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS
'16 Norton Commando 961 SF
'19 SWM SM 500 R Supermoto
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiAK View Post
My work schedule has me on a rotation 3 weeks at home for every 3 weeks away at work. One of the big selling points for a lithium battery is that I wouldn't have to keep it on a tender while away at work like the old lead battery. This may have been a contributing factor with the Ballistic failing, and I haven't been away from my bike long enough to see if any problems will come up with the Shorai.
Unfortunately, this "selling point" only applies if you have the battery out of the bike, or disconnected.
If you have the battery connected to your bike, it is going to get drained just like every other battery when you leave it for a few weeks.
There is a good explanation of lithium battery basics in this blog post:
http://www.fullspectrumpower.com/blo...ithium-battery
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM

I've left my Shorai batteries in my bikes over the winter with no tender for 4 to 5 months and they fire right up in the spring.

Bill

2007 Ducati Monster S4RS
1998 BMW M3
1995 Ducati 900 SuperSport
1981 Yamaha YZ465
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
+1,

Except mine are Ballistic 8cell. Haven't had a bit of issue out of the 3 I have.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 AM

I have had my Shorai for 2 years. No issues.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 AM

We have 09 KTM 990 Adventure R on shorai and never had problem either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode