Throttle Tamer - M696 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Throttle Tamer - M696

In an effort to make my M696 a little less unpleasant to ride at low speed, in town etc I fitted a throttle tamer today. Apart from the need to adjust a little slack from the cable it took just a few minutes to fit and the difference was obvious right away! It is now possible to roll on the throttle gently and the whole experience of riding at low speed, in town type riding, is about 85% better. The engine is still running in it 'awkward' rev range, so the next step is to fit a 14T front sprocket to put the revs in to an area where ther engine is a little happier. Once I've done that I'm going to take the throttle tamer off to get a direct comparison. I suspect it will be back on after the test run.

I'll report my findings as I try them, but so for feel the Throttle Tamer is a big improvement!

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM

I'm willing to bet it will be back on When you do put it back on, go with the # 300 cam I went with the 41 tooth rear vice a 14T front and I'm happy. The fuelling is still well...Ducati below 3500-3800 ish RPM

There are no extraordinary men, just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.

Early 2011 Showa Forks 796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
15/41 gearing.
2006 GSXR 600 track bike.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 AM

The throttle made my 796 much more low speed friendly than before. It eliminated about 85% of the on and off throttle for me. Was going to go with the 14T but it made such a big difference for me, think I'll stick with stock gearing for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 AM

The Tamer was some of the best money that I've spent on this bike.

There are the people who will say that you don't need it and you should just "learn to ride", but I've been riding since the mid-80s, so I ignore that bit of 'advice'.

2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
JTP

if you don't mind me asking, how much do the throttle tamers cost?

uhoh.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Throttle Tamer Cost

I just paid $80 plus shipping for mine. Ordered direct from their website.

Ian
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
JTP

hmmm... might be something for me to look into then. a lot of city commuting for me

uhoh.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

14T Sprocket

Today I removed the Throttle Tamer put the standard throttle back on and fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket. Then went for a test ride to Cooks Corner and the Lookout on Ortega Highway.

The difference is amazing! It truly transforms the bike and I have to say todays ride was by far the most enjoyable I have evr had on this bike. The driveability from low speed is smoother and inspires much more confidence and feel.

Next I'll re-fit the Throttle Tamer and adjust the cable to take out the slack. My feeling now having felt both these things individually is that with both the smaller sprocket and the Throttle Tamer fitted the bike will be even better to ride.

More feedback soon!

Ian
San Clemente, CA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
JTP

^yes please do report back. interested to see if both adjustments combined are the route to go, i've heard good reports about each individually

uhoh.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 AM

I have both, but my TT is a #300 cam. Others have said the #500 was too soft so I'm glad I went this way. I really like the manageability of the bike more now. Honestly, some people prefer the bite of the stock throttle, but I'm also with the camp that says Ducati should ship these bikes out with a 14T front.

--DT

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode