Throttle Tamer - M696 - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 View Post
I have both, but my TT is a #300 cam. Others have said the #500 was too soft so I'm glad I went this way. I really like the manageability of the bike more now. Honestly, some people prefer the bite of the stock throttle, but I'm also with the camp that says Ducati should ship these bikes out with a 14T front.
I'm with you there. I went up on the back on my 796, so 15 front and 41 rear.

There are no extraordinary men, just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.

Early 2011 Showa Forks 796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
15/41 gearing.
2006 GSXR 600 track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Throttle Tamer

After a bit of a break, I finally got around to fitting the throttle tamer back on the bike today. The 14T front sprocket was an improvement on its own as was the Throttle Tamer on its own so taday I got to try them both together.

When I previously tried the Throttle Tamer the throttle cable was not adgusted and it had some slack, so there was some 'dead' motion in the twistgrip which made it difficult to ride. Today I adjusted out the slack to get a proper feel for how well it worked. There was almost not enough adjustment but I did just get it adjusted correctly!

81F in Orange County today so a ride was in order!

Each element, 14T and TT were better one their own and together they really do make the bike much nice to ride. You can smoothly roll the throttle on in town with out the jerkiness that was present before. The slowness of the TT takes a little getting used to; it needs a bit more positive 'blip' when changing down etc. but overall I really like it a lot.

I can see how some might find it too slow, and a #300 cam might be worth trying, but this is a huge step in the right direction.

Try it - you'll like it!!

Ian
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 AM

Yeah, the Throttle Tamer and 14 tooth sprocket is a great combination for my Monster 696. Highly recommended, especially if you're ............ um ............. "full sized", like me.

Roberto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Gary Gibbs shipped my G2 Tamer with the 500 Cam. I have no complaints and like it very much. It makes it far more docile/compliant like what I'd expect from a EFI throttle.

These are not the droids you are looking for...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 PM

On my '09 696 the stock gearing was 15/45. so while I had it torn down, I went up in the back to a 48 rather than down in the front to a 14. The take off is very smooth, but cruising on the freeway puts me at 6k rpm in 6th. When I set up my next one, I think I'll go 15/46. Down 1 in the front is said to be equivalent to up three in the back, so I think the 14 front or a 48 rear on this bike just doesn't give you an efficient highway performance, but it is quite nice in tight corners. Set it up to where you spend the most time.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
Doing the math the stock ratio 15/45 is 0.3333. Going to 14/45 gives you 0.3111. 15/48 is 0.3125 so almost the same as stock. So 15/46 or 15/47 are just fine increments inbetween.

I do find the revs a bit hi on the freeway, but I don't use my bike on the freeway if I can help it. I like the lower gearing for the canyons though! I might try one of the fine ingrements when I come to replace the rear sprocket.

Raining in SoCal today, but Ducati weather by Wednesday or Thursday!

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode