Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Painting belt covers

12K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  l88m22vette 
#1 ·
Hi, I want to paint my belt covers black and i was wondering if I need high heat paint. What kind of paint would you recommend? Thanks

#3 ·
You don’t need high temp paint…post some picks once you done…I was thinking about doing the same…

#7 ·
I just dyed my covers (2001 600M dark) satin black. Yes dyed them. VHT sells a vinyl dye that soaks into plastic and wont ever chip off. I was skeptical but ordered a can from Summit Racing on eBay. (Arrived in a day...fast.) Two light coats and the covers look beautiful! A couple areas near the bosses and edges pooled a little after spraying but within 30 min it all was absorbed and the finish is completely uniform. Highly recommend it. I just washed the covers in in advance in dish detergent to get rid of any oil and dried them. They have a number of colors including gloss and satin black. I researched a number of other company's products and while they claim use on plastic or vinyl, they are all paint. This is the only spray dye I could find. I can post pics later if you wish.

#12 ·
took belt covers off, washed them with dish washing detergent, then some brake cleaner, a little rubbing with brillo pads, some more brake cleaner, 5 minutes in the oven at 250*f...took them out and sprayed two hands of paint then to the oven again for 5 more minutes and then resprayed one more hand, let dry and then one last hand to even out....

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.