How to make a carbie with FCR's start easy in cold weather - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

How to make a carbie with FCR's start easy in cold weather

I live in Milwaukee WI and am always having difficulty starting my FCR once the weather begins to drop below 40 degrees. Not only do I have flat slides but also a nichols flywheel which tends to make the motorcycle hard to stay running at first. I bought one of these small block heaters that stick on the block magnetically. Unfortunately, due to the composition of our blocks I have to bungy cord it in place. Today it was 10 degrees and I put the heater on a couple hours and the bike ran on its own on the third try. You can get these at ay auto parts store. The only thing you have to becareful is taking the bungy cord off once the bike starts. Mine melted on the exhaust pipe. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Could make beginning of the year start much easier!

99' 900S Marvic front, Technomagnesio rear, SBK forks, Flat Slide Carbs, Nichols Flywheel, CC Top triple, CC Clip-ons w/ risers, RoadRacing Tach, Opened Clutch Cover, CF SBK Fender, CF rear hugger, Tail Chop, CF Carbon Creations Tail Unit, Mini front blinkers, Marvings slip ons, Corbin Seat, Napolean Bar End Mirrors, 15x43 gearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Kui

Re: How to make a carbie with FCR's start easy in cold weather

Never had FCRs, but you just have to learn how to drop the right amount of fuel with the throttle to get it to start right. There are other small things that can help. I found changing plugs to different heat range helped a lot in the 10-20 degree days. If your bike is old, it can benifit from a new ignition coil system or a new battery as well. Glad to hear your still riding in this fridget weather! I still havent found a way to keep my knees warm. lol
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kui
...Glad to hear your still riding in this fridget weather! I still havent found a way to keep my knees warm. lol
Carhart Bib Pants are great or even the cheap Schmidt knock-offs found in tractor supply.

Feo, fuerte y formal<br /><br /> 1986- Frankenstein, named Gwenhwyfar<br /> 1999- 750 Monster, named Tondalaya<br /> 1997- KTM 300 MXC, named Bobbi Jo<br /> 1941- Warwagon Servicar, named Margaret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM

No FHE, but I think Dynacoils will help an FCR equiped bike start easier. Do a search, I know there were a couple of threads on here about it.

[img width=600 height=152]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd271/jwalsh037/Clutchsig-1.jpg[/img]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Kui, what you may have seen when you say "I found changing plugs to different heat range helped a lot in the 10-20 degree days." is possibly the improvement you get from fresh plugs. I say this becasue the "Hotness" of a plug has more to do with the conductivity from the electrode and insulator to the head. (Hotter plugs have greater thermal resistance, and therefopre stay hotter at the tip) This would effect the bike once its up to temp, but not likely make a diference during the start.

I also have FCRs and a Nichols, and I plumbed in a primer port through the screw holes on the intake tubes. When its really cold, I use a syringe to prime it a little and save by battery and starter -- just like an old Lycoming or Contenental engine o piston an airplane. BTW, the engine heater is a good idea for easier starting, but also for less engine wear during the initial start-up when the oil is too congealed to flow pump and lubricate well

944 mods: Weisco 11.5:1 pistons, carillo rods, dyna coils, FCR 41s, lightened knife-edge crank, Nichols frame bolts &amp; flywheel, mpb colletts Marchesini Forged Alu wheels, SB rotors, Brembo SB master cyls, port &amp; polish head work, STM cam pulleys, Arrow slipons, 520 41-14, Nichols breather, Yoyodine clutch slave, LE Forks, Fox Racing Shock rear, Fren tubo ss brake lines, mod manifold, billet rear sets, Corbin seat, and on and on....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I actually have the dyna coils already and that has helped a lot. I even run fully sythetic oil wich is suppost to be more fluid during cold starting.

If you don't have FCR's you don't realize how much it sucks trying to start the bike in colder weather. I pump the throttle a couple of times every attempt as well as turn up the idle as much as possible. If I even touch the throttle a little during the initial warm up it wants to die. Even on a warm day the bike starts fine but definately wants to get warmed up quite a bit before it will allow any moderate acceleration.

Marty, when you said you made primer ports are you talking about ports to spray starter fluid in the intakes? I've heard that too much of this is hard on the rings and pistons because it washes the oil off the cylinders right away. I'd be interested to know what you mean and what these primer ports look like. Anything to hasten the warm up period and give my starter a break sounds great for me!

99' 900S Marvic front, Technomagnesio rear, SBK forks, Flat Slide Carbs, Nichols Flywheel, CC Top triple, CC Clip-ons w/ risers, RoadRacing Tach, Opened Clutch Cover, CF SBK Fender, CF rear hugger, Tail Chop, CF Carbon Creations Tail Unit, Mini front blinkers, Marvings slip ons, Corbin Seat, Napolean Bar End Mirrors, 15x43 gearing
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Not starter fluid, I just use petrol.

I put luer fittings on (the fittings used for medical infusion pumps, IVs, etc.). [ Parenthetically, I used to work at a medical equip manufacturer, and I used these because they were avalable], though you could do it using stuff from Lowes (tubing and fittings).

In my case, the syringe fit directly into the luer fitting, and I'd squirt a tsp or so of gas in (Same principle as the tickler on a set of Amal carbs from a Brit bike, or using the accelerator pump on a set of delortos from a bevel duc). Once the bike is warm, I'd take the syringe off and put a closed cap on the leur to seal it up, and go ride. Works well, by I'd still get cold.

- Marty

944 mods: Weisco 11.5:1 pistons, carillo rods, dyna coils, FCR 41s, lightened knife-edge crank, Nichols frame bolts &amp; flywheel, mpb colletts Marchesini Forged Alu wheels, SB rotors, Brembo SB master cyls, port &amp; polish head work, STM cam pulleys, Arrow slipons, 520 41-14, Nichols breather, Yoyodine clutch slave, LE Forks, Fox Racing Shock rear, Fren tubo ss brake lines, mod manifold, billet rear sets, Corbin seat, and on and on....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 01:14 PM

It is not that cold in Sacramento but it is still difficult to start.

I added a throttle lock so I don't have to hold the throttle during warm-up.

I swapped put the YTZ7S for a PC 310 battery so I had more starting power. That gave me a a lot more cranking power.

I also have 2 HP coils ( for the dual spark heads), wires and beefier battery and starter cables.

I have a headlight shut off switch to reduce drain on the battery during start up.

I like the "primer port idea' idea though. I'm going to have to try that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 AM

I just had a brainstorm!!
I was out looking at the chainsaw in my garage. It has a small panel-mounted primer bulb (about the size of a quarter) that enables me to prime the engine. It is tapped off the fuel line from the tank to the carb. If you took the input of that little bugger off the fuel line, and plumbed the output into those two convenient little tapped holes in your intake manifold, you'ld have a slick little primer system for those cold mornings. Parts available from Poulan or Sears.

Concerns? I'd check to see that you are supplying relatively equal amounts of gas to both cyls, if not you could put a bulb in for each. You'ld need to rig a mounting bracket.

<Shouldn't this thread be in tech?>

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM

I've always opened the throttle 3-4 times before starting. The excellerator pump puts out a shot of fuel each time and therefore offers a temporary rich setting for starting. Generally it will start right up, run for 5-10 seconds, then cough and shut off. Usually the second attempt pulsing the throttle prior to starting is successful in keeping it running.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.<br /><br />99 M900S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode