Building a Custom Exhaust...Know anything about flexable exhaust tubing??? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to deserteagle.50
Building a Custom Exhaust...Know anything about flexable exhaust tubing???

I have been trying to plan a custom exhaust project to do this winter for about 6 months now, and I think I am almost ready to start buying parts.* I have a few questions for anyone who has attempted to do any kind of custom exhaust work; I would also appreciate any input that people may have.*

First, a general rundown of what I am planning:
I know that I want to make the new system high mount, so my initial idea was to modify my DP low mount Carbon Fiber cans to stick them up by the seat; in the process, I was also thinking about shortening them a bit (but after considering this, I don't think it would be worth it).* The second idea I had was to use a set of stock aluminum cans, core them, shorten them, and make them into high mounts.* Either way, in terms of what I will use for "S" pipes, I have become really intrigued by the idea of "flexible exhaust tubing," which can be found at JC Whitney and other similar stores.* The other option that I was considering was using a "universal" type exhaust can, as found here: http://www.mufflermall.com/index.php...roducts_id=402 , or something of the sort.*

My questions are as follows:
-What diameter is the "inlet" for the stock muffler, and the tubing from the engine?* (I can't measure because I am currently unable to access my bike as I am at school)
-Has anyone seen/herd of anyone using either:
* * *1.* The flexible exhaust tubing (I know some people have because there are some posts here)
* * *2.* "Universal" type mufflers as mentioned above.

I would love to get some input, and maybe some pics, from people who have actually set up a custom exhaust (Norm, I really like what you did on your custom bike).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

For the sake of clarity, I am going to list every mod:<br />Stage 2 Dyno Jet Kit<br />Remus CF Exhaust<br />Bar end mirrors<br />CF front fender<br />CF shifter rod<br />CF tail w/ integrated signals <br />CF Rear Seat Cowl<br />CF Heel guards<br />Cycle Cat frame sliders (Thanks Strati)<br />Corbin Seat<br />Rizoma Pressure Plate/skirted spring retainers<br />Rizoma Billet Swingarm Arch<br />Nichols AL Flywheel<br />Nichols Kickstand Bolt<br />Nichols Breather<br />De-Smogged<br />K&amp;N Pod Filters<br />Painted Belt and Sprocket covers<br /><br />Coming soon...custom SBK style gauge cluster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:10 PM

Re: Building a Custom Exhaust

I make custom exhausts, but have never worked with the flex tubing. Universal mufflers work fine, you just have to figure out the mounting. I forget the pipe size coming from the heads, but it's pretty small, something like 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" (in mm of course).

www.hurricanemotorcycles.com
A man that works with his hands is a laborer.
A man that works with his hands & mind is a craftsman.
A man that works with his hands, mind, & heart, is an artist.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad that you saw this Norm, I was just on your site today looking at all the cool stuff (I'm saving up for a SSS ). I was wondering if you had any pics of your custom exhausts? I've seen the one on your bike, but I'd love to see some more. Thanks.

For the sake of clarity, I am going to list every mod:<br />Stage 2 Dyno Jet Kit<br />Remus CF Exhaust<br />Bar end mirrors<br />CF front fender<br />CF shifter rod<br />CF tail w/ integrated signals <br />CF Rear Seat Cowl<br />CF Heel guards<br />Cycle Cat frame sliders (Thanks Strati)<br />Corbin Seat<br />Rizoma Pressure Plate/skirted spring retainers<br />Rizoma Billet Swingarm Arch<br />Nichols AL Flywheel<br />Nichols Kickstand Bolt<br />Nichols Breather<br />De-Smogged<br />K&amp;N Pod Filters<br />Painted Belt and Sprocket covers<br /><br />Coming soon...custom SBK style gauge cluster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 09:07 PM

flexible exhaust tubing !It's just wrong.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Wanna elaborate on that a little Chas? You have any insider info that we all could benefit from?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM

Hmm this is a great idea. Theoretically it shouldnt be too difficult for you to actually fit the muffler on the stock pipe. Even if the hole diameters do not fit any metal fabricator can make you some neat adaptors. As Norm states the problem will be with the mounting. I'll have to ponder on this alternative as I am thinking about a exhaust mod myself.

good find !!

Migrane.

02 Monster 620 Dark<br />03 VW GTI VR6<br /><br />Ducati is to Yamaha what sashimi is to sushi. Give me the meat ! Hold the rice !
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Please update with any finds on this project...I'd like to do something totally custom as well.

Any non-naysayers have info on the flexible tubing? That would REALLY solve my one puzzle piece in my minds design.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I am going to modify the thread title to include "flexable exhaust tubing," hopefully that will catch the attention of people with some experience with it.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 PM

Re: Building a Custom Exhaust...Know anything about flexable exhaust tubing???

I know of a guy that used it on a [email protected] vfr. He wanted to raise the clearance and is one of those guys that likes to McGyver everything . He did it first as a template issue* that he was going to have made into solid tubing by a muffler shop but when he saw it worked ok he stayed with it.He's got a couple thousand hard miles on the bike. Here is* a link to another site where flex tubing was used on a Duc. Pic #70http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323&page=5&pp=15 Hmmnn link doesn't work but if you go to the site open the ducati forum and click on the "post your dream ducati here". Go to page 5 halfway down the page . Hope this helps, Hog

2000 monster 900� fun� <br />2000 gezzer glide�&nbsp; cruising<br />2002 yamaha 250�&nbsp; dirt&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; no longer here<br />honda rebel 250� � � dmv loaner bike&nbsp; no longer here<br />1984 kawi 175 enduro ..... alive and kicking<br />1985 special construction hog<br />1981 yami virago 1000<br />yami 650 special 11<br />suki gt380
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Re: Building a Custom Exhaust...Know anything about flexable exhaust tubing???

Excellent find !! Any chance of getting some pics of the VFR?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode