Tire Reviews -- keep your post updated! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 316 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:37 PM
fzr400tony

Tire Reviews -- keep your post updated!

i was curious as to how many people would read it with that subject...

just an idea, but i always see people asking about this tire or that tire, so why don't we sticky a thread with tire reviews?* preferably the reviews would have a good order.* like write a review when new, then edit the review when the tires are spent.* they could note the mileage and how they performed over their life-cycle and the type of riding they did with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 316 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:09 PM
fzr400tony

Re: message for the moderator--tire review

well, since someone already likes the idea, i'll start with my new skins:* Pirelli Diablo Strada's.

i'll be the first to admit, i've never been a big fan of pirelli front tires*.* i think they're too nervous on their side.* however, from what i hear the compound is similar to the standard diablo, and the carcass is the same, the big difference is the thread depth is supposed to be 2/32 deeper, for more life.* since most of my miles are boring highway miles (and i'm trying to behave on the street), sport touring tires make a lot of sense.

initial impressions, they turn like pirelli's.* if you like that, you'll like these tires.* it has been raining all weekend, so all of my miles have been on damp and/or drying roads.* so i don't have any hard riding feedback to give you, but i can say, they are good in these conditions.* they moved a lot of water (got poured on once).* i also started to feel confident enough in the front to trail brake.* more trail braking i did, the more i like the front.* it's still no dunlop, but i'll keep it.

so far, i have to give them a solid b+.* they'd get an a, if they didn't turn like pirelli's.

* my pirelli experience is limited to supercorsa's and the old metzler me-z1's.

edit/update:* well at the 1500 mile mark and they still look great.* they definitely aren't full sport tires and feel like when trying to go fast.* but fortunately, that keeps me going slow and that's a good thing.* i might buy a dunlop front next time, but i love the rear.* the rear is more than adaquate for even a fast street pace.* i'll let you know when they wear out.*

please note: 1500 miles is longer than any tire ever lasted on my gsx-r, so i'm extremely pleased.* however, i do ride my monster like a sissy.*

edit/update: well at the 3000+ mile-mark, they are still more than adequate for passing state inspection. these tires won't die. that's a good thing. i still don't care for the front, but the rear is pretty good for a streetbike.

[attachment deleted by admin]
post #3 of 316 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:12 PM

While its nice to have reviews, Tires are a very personal choice and very subjective. For example you will never get me on Bridgestones or Dunlops despite HOW many people say they are great. I have used both and didnt like the feel of either. That said I am a Michelin man

[img width=500 height=375]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/515468/YYQYV-HPIM0081.JPG[/img]

[img width=500 height=375]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/515468/SSIGD-HPIM0080.JPG[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 316 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducman851
While its nice to have reviews, Tires are a very personal choice and very subjective. For example you will never get me on Bridgestones or Dunlops despite HOW many people say they are great. I have used both and didnt like the feel of either. That said I am a Michelin man
Well, you're much more trim and not as white, so I'm a doubter at this point.

Everybody's got valid points so far. It would be nice to have a bunch of info in one spot.
I've gotten drastically different mileage out of the exact same tire. No obvious reasons why.
I really like the way Pirellis turn in. Subjective, yes.

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
post #5 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddog

Well, you're much more trim and not as white, so I'm a doubter at this point.*
Haha, good one, Nick.

I agree. Tires are very subjective. I have had one set of Metzlers and will never, ever consider them again. Yet, some people love them and they get decent reviews in the press. I never felt comfortable on them as they were very resistant to leaning and turning. It took a lot of physical coercion to get the bike to do what I wanted it to do. The Dunlops I've had were great and I would definitely recommend them and I know that some people think Dunlop MC tires are crap. They felt very agile and confidence-inspiring. I'm on my first set of Michelins and haven't made up my mind yet. So far, I think they have a more planted feel in the twisties than the Dunlops, but I don't think that they make the bike feel as tossable. I think I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sports (do they even make them anymore?), but I'll have to do another few hundred twisty miles or so to decide how they compare to the Dunlops.

Royal Oak, Michigan<br /><br />
post #6 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS4R

* Haha, good one, Nick.

I agree.* Tires are very subjective.* I have had one set of Metzlers and will never, ever consider them again.* Yet, some people love them and they get decent reviews in the press.* I never felt comfortable on them as they were very resistant to leaning and turning.* It took a lot of physical coercion to get the bike to do what I wanted it to do.* The Dunlops I've had were great and I would definitely recommend them and I know that some people think Dunlop MC tires are crap.* They felt very agile and confidence-inspiring.* I'm on my first set of Michelins and haven't made up my mind yet.* So far, I think they have a more planted feel in the twisties than the Dunlops, but I don't think that they make the bike feel as tossable.* I think I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sports (do they even make them anymore?), but I'll have to do another few hundred twisty miles or so to decide how they compare to the Dunlops.

Which Metzlers did you get?* I have the Sportecs and they are soo much better than the stock Pirelli's.* I've been to the track twice and I know they saved my azz in one particular turn.*
My s/o took my bike to the canyons for a particularly tight canyon ride and said they handled as well as his Michelin Pilot Sports.*
In other words I highly recommend the Metzlers, they are made in the same factory as Pirelli tires btw.

Tanya
post #7 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 10:02 PM

Re: Tire Reviews -- keep your post updated!

I've got a question about tires - if you go out and buy a sport-touring tire, then proceed to use it out to the edges with out slipping around on the road, why would you want a stickier tire? Seems like if you've got the edges hot/worn then a stickier compound will just wear quicker.

My experience with tires and ducatis-
Dunlop 205 - eh, they wore out, not a bad tire, good mileage.
Metzler Roadtec - feels better than the D205 - I was able to get the whole thing hot and worn... after almost 2k miles they still look good.
Michelin Pilot Road - feels better than the D205 - they get reeeaal sticky and hot (I regulary flog these tires pretty well) after about 1400 miles - still look good but I will probably have to replace them this year. (the 1.4k was in a month, I'm expecting 4-6k out of them, based on wear to this point)
post #8 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 01:50 PM

I got >10k miles out of a set of Michelin Pilot Roads. That was all highway riding on my Bandit though.
My S4R came with Michelin Pilot Sports. They were really sticky. I could use them to clean the garage floor. They lasted ca. 5k miles. Since I don't have ready access to Canyons and I do more highway/town riding, I replaced them with the Pilot Roads. That plus l I didn't want to replace expensive tires every two or three months.

Dave
post #9 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 PM

Of course the ideal tire is dictated by the riding style of the bike owner. In my case, I do long distance sport touring on my monster and other bikes. I have tried 4 different brands of sport touring tires and just when I thought I found a good fit for me the model was discontinued. Here is what Iíve tried: 2 sets of Dunlop D205s one on my monster and one on a Buell Cyclone, One front and two rear Metzeler MEZ4 on a SV650, a set of Bridgestone BT-020 on the SV650, and a set of Michelin 100X Macadams on my monster. I am not an overly aggressive rider and never felt limited by any of these tires. The all performed well enough so my selection comes down to which wore the best. The Dunlopís lasted about 8k on the Duc but wore out at 5k on the Buell. The front tires cupped badly and adversely affected cornering stability near the end of their life. The front wore out at the same time as the rears. The Metzelers had the shortest life of all. The rears lasted about 4k and we tried to push it to 5. The fronts lasted about 6k. I had high expectations of the Bridgestoneís but have only gotten about 4.5k and although there is tread left, the rear is badly squared and the front is beginning to show uneven wear that may begin to affect handling. There is no question that the Michelins are the best wearing of the lot. I have nearly 10k on the present set and it is now time to replace the rear. The amazing thing is that the Michelins have never squared in the rear, nor is the front showing uneven wear or cupping. The bummer is that the Macadam 100x line has been discontinued and replaced by the pilot road. I will be installing a new pilot road on my monster and will see how it holds up. I have been curious about the Avon sport tourer but havenít tried them. Anyone have experience with them? Bill
post #10 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 PM

I used to run Michelin Pilot Sports after I replaced the D 204s that came on my Monster. The Pilot Sports were far superior to the Dunlops. I would get approx 4-5K on o rear and 8k on o front. I put Pilot Powers on this year because of availability. I never had a problem with the Sports in dry weather, but they were not confidence inspiring in the rain. I have to say that the Powers are great in the rain, and they out perform even the pre S2/M2 DOT race tires on the track. Dry performance on the street is excellent with quick warmup and excellent feel. I have about 1300 miles on this set including two track days and the wear appears to be less than the Sports. I'll update when I get a true mileage result. The best part about this is that the price is slightly less than the Sports. If it would only stop raining.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode