Tire Reviews -- keep your post updated! - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Tire Reviews -- keep your post updated!

If you can get all the traction you want out of a sport-touring tire, then there may not be much point in a stickier tire. The main advantage would be more extra margin. For example, the sport-touring tire may be sticky enough to get to the edges with a smooth technique, but would not be able to handle as much acceleration while leaned over without breaking free. An operator error, or a slippery or bad spot in the road while cornering might break the sport-touring tire free where a full sport tire would be able to handle the additional stress better. I tend to go full sport on the front, and sport-touring on the rear.

philb

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
I've got a question about tires - if you go out and buy a sport-touring tire, then proceed to use it out to the edges with out slipping around on the road, why would you want a stickier tire?* Seems like if you've got the edges hot/worn then a stickier compound will just wear quicker.

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:58 PM

Michelins NEW tire of choice for the "spirited" reider is called the pilot power.

i'll be trying them out on my monster shortly. the stock dragon evos seem to stick well but when they let go there is NO and i mean NO warning. dunlops have always kind of told me when they were letting loose. i have heard the powers have great advanced warning for this from numerous guys who race with them and ride on the street the same day...sooo i'll find out.

NICE pics of the michelins earlier in this post... looks like somone pushes there bike the way it was meant to be!
post #13 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 PM

Does anyone have any mileage reports on the Diablo's or the Diablo Strata's? My shop reccomended the Strata's since I do some long distance (highway) riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 PM

4,000 miles on a rear Diablo so far, with very little wear so far. I'm not a very agressive rider, however, and weigh 125, FWIW.

This is my first Diablo, and I am impressed.
post #15 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 05:40 PM

I've got Pilot roads on my ST2 and have done two riding schools on then. They instill a lot of confidence when rolling on the power while the peg is dragging, no wiggle and no slip.
I have a set of Pilot Power take offs to be mounted on my spare rims soon, should be great for my next track day. Looking foward to trying that new rubber compound.
I had a set of Dunlop 208 GPs, med. compound, they were adequate but seemed to move around alot when hot and pushed during a track day.

When in doubt, add gas!
post #16 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:20 AM

I got about 3800 miles out of my Diablos. That was wearing to the belts on the rear, the tire went from good to completely worn in one day with high ambient air temps (109). So I am sure the asphalt temps were pretty excessive as it was extremely sunny. The edges of the tire had scorthed rubber that was peeling.

I have replaced them with Metzeler Sportec M1's. I have had them on for about 1000 miles and I like them much better than the Diablos. They warm up fast and stick like glue. The most striking difference is the turn in on them. I can turn the bike in under acceleration and it flicks with 1/3 the effort it took with the Diablos. Some folks may think it makes a twitchy Monster even more so, but I like the feel. It doesn't feel unstable, just will flick side to side as fast as my reflexes allow.

I think the Diablos were a bit better in the wet though, I never really had much traction loss with the Diablos but the Sportecs have cut out a bit in the corners on some rain slicked roads. Nothing unmanagable, it lets you know the traction is going away.

post #17 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 08:33 PM

I liked my michelin pilot(stock) over my metzler M1's for back tires.
Iv'e broken loose a couple times coming out of corners and will have 1,500 mi. on them, they'll last about another 1,000 mi. I have 7,000 mi. on the stock front tire and should be replaced. Replaced the rear at 5,500 mi. due to nail.
post #18 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 11:31 PM

It kinda looks like people aren't real fond of Bridgestones. I put a BT-14 full sport on the front and a BT-20 Sport_touring on the rear, and really like turn-in feel compared to Dunlop 205's. I will say that the front end has pushed a couple times, which I thought was caused by the road but maybe the tire? They feel great in the rain. I'll try to post mileage at the end of the season.

post #19 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:35 PM

I am on my first set of Avon Azero Sprt touring 45/46 They rock! they are way better than the 205's it came with. I am very happy with the set.
post #20 of 316 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:21 PM

I had Pilot Roads on my M900 and I also have them on my M1000S and I like them.. I have done 2 track days with them and they stick really good for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode