Powder coating everything - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 08:50 AM
canuco

Powder coating everything

This board is certainly going to cause me to spend too much on my bike but so be it. Does anyone have a pic of a monster that EVERY thing was powdercoated 1 color ie A dark with the valve covers, block, etc black as well? Thanks in advance. s4Strati- our posts today made me think of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 AM
s4strati

Re: Powder coating everything

careful here... stock beltcovers are made of plastic which can't be powdercoated. not only does plastic not like the 400 degrees required to bring on "flow-out" (1st stage of curing), but it doesn't conduct electricity. powder first adheres to a part by an electro-static attraction.
that said, it would be interesting to see if any bikes have been totally blasted with one color whether it be via powder, paint, or anodizing.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 AM
canuco

correct. My fault for the vague post, I know the plastic would be painted but I was more concerned with the P I T A aspect of powder coating so that is where my mind was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:24 AM
s4strati

dunno what you mean. i don't think powdercoating's much more a pain than conventional painting. there's a bit more prepwork involved, but application/curing/finishing is definately easier. just spray on and bake. no priming, no sanding, multiple coats are not necessary...
PREPWORK is a b!tch but you can't have it all easy i guess...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 AM
canuco

In terms of the baking part. My wife would kill me if i put bike parts in her new oven. lol Have you seen a monotone bike. I can imagine it but woud wanna see it before i undertake in the work. I would have to wait till its gets too cold to rid as to not waste any precious riding days, but if I make up my mind, I know it will get done.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:56 AM

Quote:
In terms of the baking part. My wife would kill me if i put bike parts in her new oven. lol Have you seen a monotone bike. I can imagine it but woud wanna see it before i undertake in the work. I would have to wait till its gets too cold to rid as to not waste any precious riding days, but if I make up my mind, I know it will get done.
I'm not sure if you're actually considering this... but DO NOT put powder coated bits in your home oven that you use for cooking.

I'm working my way towards a mostly black bike. gloss black wheels... fairly flat black swing arm.. gloss black tank... engine and frame are still grey, but I'm painting the frame this winter. I'm thinking I will paint everything black except for the engine. it might look stupid. it might look like a grey engine buzzing down the road at night, but who cares... if it turns out like ass, I'll repaint some bits I guess.

&#039;02 MS4&nbsp; -&nbsp; 996 powered and SSS (again under construction) [email protected]&nbsp; <br />&#039;02 MS4&nbsp; -&nbsp; under contruction.&nbsp; just a few loose ends to finish up.<br />&#039;05 R1&nbsp; &nbsp; -&nbsp; essentially stock.&nbsp; quite the weapon all around.&nbsp; [email protected]
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:00 AM
canuco

I actually would have somone else to the coating sisnce I have no access to the thing's I'd need living in NYC. But I was thinking my engine too. I was trying to find a bike that haad a black engine and cannot find a picture. All this from just wanting to color my frame red......
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:35 AM

the old 851s have black engines. looks pretty cool until
it starts to wear or chip off.

2003 S4R<br />1990 851<br />1997 Yamaha Yzf 1000<br />1988 Honda NT650
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:01 AM
Site Sponsors

both MonsterJ (nunez) and Rev_Deadpan (fillmore) p/c'ed their engine side and valve covers
they look nice
i dont think you could do the block, you'd have to paint that.
i hear harley sells a good engine paint (really)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:04 AM
canuco

Thanks hooligan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode