Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Terrible to Incredible

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Purves 
#1 · (Edited)
About a month ago I started a thread where i dropped my 1200 R after owning it just a week. Thank God for Foremost Insurance. They paid in 2 days! If you're looking for a great rate and a business that pays claims-Foremost. I'm a over 50 so I went through AARP for a better rate.

I got it back today and it's perfect. While it was in I added Termis as the stock silencer is $2400-Termis $1800, Ducati reservoirs & articulating levers on the handlebars. I added an R&G radiator protector. I also put on a New Rage tail tidy and front blinkers. Put on Ducati frame plugs and bar ends. I also took off passenger brackets and added the Evotech exhaust hanger and blank-out plate for the left side. The Termis sound so awesome and throaty. BTY I found it to be smoother and a more even and powerful powerbqnd. I left the baffles in but might pull them out. The bike looks so good-also from the factory -now it's just cooler to me. We all have personal taste. Absolutely no hick ups or farts coming down in revs from 7,000rpm.

I now have an almost perfect tank (in basement) that just has a little tiny dent on the right side by the logo. The stock silencer has just a few scratches on the black-very light-not deep. I don't know if the dent can be pulled out of the tank or fine sand the on stock exhaust. The finish is perfect still on the tank. The switch housing barely hit it. I almost thought of leaving it on as it was almost 3k.

New Haven Powersports in CT did the work. Specifically the mechanic, John. It is as new as I got it. I am OCD so I'm telling the truth. I must admit I was kinda sick because I did not think it could be PERFECT-well as perfect as mario makes at Ducati. It took 1 month to get all the Ducati parts because it was August and they first sent the wrong handle bar and Termis for a 959.

I got all aftermarket parts in a few days. It took 2 days to do the work after waiting for the 24-48 hour parts-1 month! They're Italian so...Nothing was backordered but having no warehouse except Italy only is a bust. They claim 24-48 hours for in stock parts. I'm here to say bullshit. After a month of no riding and great weather, I'm happy as hell. Sun is out all week so am I. I'm on my way down to the garage after riding most of the afternoon and waxing it again. They detailed it at the dealer. lol Cheers.
:grin

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool, now be careful as to not drop her again in 1 week's time.

And yeah, stop waxing her frequently 'cause you'll be back in a few days time to tell us that it's full of micro-scratches and how shitty the paint quality is* :grin

*Ask me how i know

PS : If possible, use some proper spacing and paragraphs duder, my eys just bled by reading that :D

#4 ·
No worries man ;)

Seriously though, be CAREFUL on the cleaning bit (and especially when using micro fiber rags), the paint is as thin as a middle-aged man's receeding hairline.

She's a beauty, hope you don't get pissed though when they'll introduce the new R at this year's EICMA :devil

#6 ·
Perfect color scheme. I recommend wrapping it in clear protective vinyl or something similar. The guys on the Supersport forum are having to wrap their entire bikes to prevent scratches. The fairings and paint don't seem to be as durable as on Japanese bikes.

#7 ·
When I got my tank repaired my buddy put 4 coats of color and 3 coats of clear on it. I haven't washed it since I got it back in June and basically just use a cleaner/polish with a cloth to clean the tank when it gets dusty. No swirls, looks F'in' perfect! Got him to do the old school Ducati script in paint at the same time as well so I didn't have to deal with stickers. He said that the Ducati paint was the easiest to strip he's ever worked on, especially since he does mostly Harley custom work. He mentioned that the paint was very thin over all. I guess they figured they could save weight! :devil

#10 · (Edited)
i thought i answered this but here we go again. the mechanic says it was basically plug n play. no drilling and it looks so clean and your turn signal can be seen from the side as well as rear. i had to get rid of the "diving board" from ducati. i love the clean looks. i don't think you can go wrong with it. JMHO.
:|

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.