Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Starting Point for my 2006 Monster S2R 800 Dark

93K views 540 replies 15 participants last post by  fch99 
#1 ·
Hi All,

For my fun, and perhaps your interest, I'm going to post pictures of my starting point, with modifications as I go along. Where I can, I'll add links to what I bought, how-to-videos that I watched, and perhaps weight savings by part.

Any suggestions are welcome.

CH

Attachments

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Hey All,

UPDATE on progress.

Getting il mostro back from the shop tomorrow with BST's, fresh Pirelli's, and d-moto racing aluminum valves on it. Also, the weekend is major mod time - will be doing the following with a lot of coffee, nicorette, and my trusty 9 year old assistant (son).

Arrow Full Exhaust
Driven Aluminum Bars (1-1/8") SBK version
Driven D3 grips
Aluminum Resvervoir Covers
Mirror plugs
CRG Lane Splitter Mirrors
Removal of Factory Stickers
Removal of Shock Reflectors
Removal of front signals (legal in AZ)
Driven 7/8 to 1-1/8" bar mounts with 8mm rise
Carbon Front Fender
Carbon Belt Covers
Carbon Beer Tray Cover (no chop - yet...)
Carbon Chain Guards
Competition Werkes Integrated LED Tail Light
Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator
Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder
CNC Racing Front Sprocket Cover - Aluminum
RR relocator (prep for Corse Dynamics Air Intake Upgrade)
PCIII installation - and remap for Exhaust
CNC Racing Aluminum Rear Brake Reservoir
Magnecor ignition wires
748 Steering Damper mounted with Bitubo Mounting Kit (might be some extra work here - tbd)
Aluminum Frame Plugs
Cox Aluminum Oil Cooler Guard
Ducati Performance Barend Sliders - Aluminum
Remove Rear Passenger Footpegs
Remove Fuel Evaporation Canister
Remove Fairing

Pictures of all will be taken before and after, then posted. I also plan to create a chart for weight difference piece by piece and overall. I expect at least a 25lb weight reduction out of this round, with 11 being due to the new wheels (unsprung).

Removing/replacing the air-intake, crankcase overflow, and battery should be a next solid round weight savings. More coming after that, but that should keep me occupied and busy for the weekend.

Lot's of parts coming up for sale in the near future, including frshly powder coated marchesini black 5 spoke wheels, old corbin seat, and cat delete pipes.

Can't wait to tear into it... wish me luck.

#11 ·
Update

Picture coming tomorrow. Too f*ing hard with an iPad and file size limits.

Got my S2R back from the shop today with new tires, belts, fluids, BST wheels, and moto-d stems.

Rode it home, and started tearing into the project.

Installed a full Arrow System
Installed integrated tail light
Installed fender eliminator (no chop - but damn it was tempting)
Installed billet front sprocket cover
Installed Oil Cooler Guard
Installed frame plug kit
Removed a few stickers
Removed front signals
Removed Fairing
Removed One Mirror - the other is soaking in WD40 tonight

Found out that the CF belt covers don't fit
Found out that the CF Front Fender doesn't fit
Found out that the CF Chain Covers are a PITA to remove without the proper tools
Found out that the DP Oil Filler Cap doesn't fit
Found out that the Driven 7/8" to 1-1/8" handlebar converter doesn't fit

Have to check to see whether I ordered the wrong parts, or if they were mislabeled - at this point I'm assuming that it was my mistake :(

All that in just six hours of work and some $$$

Also found out that the tank is expanded - have to figure out what to do there - all gas seems to have ethanol now - nowhere nearby to get 95 RON pure gas.

Plenty more to do, but I'm ahead of schedule!

Sleep...

Attachments

#14 ·
Update #2

Lots of cleaning (Brasso, Goof Off, Water)
Found out that my Aluminum Reservoir Covers don't fit
Removed Stuck Cat Ear Mirror, turned mount upside down (so as not to see the built-in threads, and installed billet mirror plugs
Installed Left Side CRG Lane Splitter Mirror
Finished Removal of Factory Stickers (Goof Off Rocks)
Installed Front Carbon Chain Guard
Installed CNC Racing Aluminum Rear Brake Reservoir
Installed Ducati Performance Barend Sliders - Aluminum
Remove Fuel Evaporation Canister
Removed both Chain Guards

Went for a ride - beautiful. If anyone says they need more power (I totally get that - not judging), BUT try some BST's because I really can't believe the difference in wheel acceleration, and entering a corner. The first time I turned, I almost fell over the bike entered the corner so much faster than previously :) The front tire wants to come off the ground all the time (something that this and my previous S2R 800 didn't do without really intending to do it).

The Full Arrow exhaust ROCKS - I had Termi slip-ons on my last S2R 800, and this kills that (of course the full system makes a big difference).

I got paid, and ordered the CORSE DYNAMICS high flow air-intake kit from MotoWheels - really looking forward to getting that in.

Tomorrow - Oberon clutch slave installation, R/R relocation, Fork Reflector removal, PCIII installation, more cleaning, and more riding (even if it's 115 degrees here).

FYI - I have a lot of stock parts laying around if anyone needs something PM me.

Attachments

#15 ·
And...

I think it's ridiculous that in order to install a rear chain guard the back wheel needs to come off. That waits for a new rear rotor, which is in the mail (found out that mine is .4 too low). Going to try a Galfer Wave Rotor.

#21 ·
Be careful removing the reflectors from the forks....do NOT use anything metal to pry them off unless you want to trash the finish on the tubes. Dribble some solvent, laquier thinner or acetone works well behind the reflector then take a piece of dental floss or mono fishing line and saw through the foam tape. More solvent and some elbow grease will take care of the residual garbage left behind without scratching the tubes.

#23 ·
Reflector Removal...

I went with dental floss, but I imagine that fishing line would have been better. Had to use a lot as the floss shredded pretty quickly. Also worked some Goof Off into the stickers with the floss, then when close used a screwdriver wrapped in a cotton rag. Came off with no damage - just a little Goof Off and elbow grease and the forks look great. Thanks bshinn.

BTW it was ~115 in AZ today, so the stickers come off pretty easily - definitely no need for a hair dryer!

#22 ·
Progress update

Cleaned

Removed fork reflectors
Removed Air Box (waiting for Air Intake kit)
Removed Crankcase Overflow container and tubes (K&N filter on way)
Removed side panels - I sort of like that look, so I'll run without them for a while.

Installed Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder
Installed R/R Relocator
Installed PCIII
Installed Carbon Fiber rear chain guard
Put some Sta-bil Marine Ethanol Treatment in the tank - hopefully the bloat will be reduced over time.

Broke rear fuel injector - recommendations / links? Ducati Scottsdale (GoAZ Moto quoted $768.25 for the part, almost had a heart attack - cue TT for the patience recommendation.
Broke Crankcase breather
The plastic on both just sort of crumbled - part of living in AZ.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

#24 ·
BTW it was ~115 in AZ today, so the stickers come off pretty easily - definitely no need for a hair dryer!

Well said! I just closed any work in the Shop. Patio thermometer hit 118 degrees here. 95 in the Shop at 0410 hrs. this morning.

Guess we are paying for the nice July we had huh? :frown

tt

#26 ·
I ordered a set from Imperial SB

They were $95 for the pair. Any pointers on installation besides using patience ?

On another note, one of my friends from a soccer team just bought his first moto - a 2010 GSXR600. 125hp. I'm like damn dude, be careful. Crazy IM Not HO.

#34 ·
R/R

Yeah, I figured that. I tried a lot of different combinations, but this was the only one that didn't push it up against the under seat plastic doohickey. I'll get back in there and do some cutting on that piece, but was thinking to wait for the Mosfet upgrade. Also, the removal of the crankcase overflow tank let's air get up in there even when pointing up. I'll tinker around some more though.

#38 ·
Update

Removed Front Fender (for now - I like the look)
Removed Horn (left wiring)
Removed Fast Idle Lever and Wiring (unnecessary)
Removed shield from bottom of lower triple

Tested removal of injector - new injectors coming Wednesday

Flipped the R/R upside down and trimmed the underseat plastic to accommodate new position of R/R.

Cleaned more

#42 ·
Update

Reinstall front fender & side covers (decided it wasn't right THAT naked)
Replaced rear rotor with Galfer Wave (mine was .4mm too low)

Remounting the caliper was pretty snug hopefully that's ok - I had to separate the pads with a screwdriver to get it on. Only a slight rub once it was all back together though.

Next up I'm going to change the Steering stem nut for a little extra bling. Wonder if I should change the stem bearings at the same time. Would have to figure out how to get the front end up in the air though.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.