Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Looking for a recommendation

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  philb 
#1 ·
First post, new member. I've lurked for a bit, and read through the FAQs, and I'm ready to jump in. I've been riding for about 17 years and want another bike. My first bikes were all Hondas (worked my way up through the CB family -- 550F to 750F to CBR600F2). I consider myself a fairly decent and safe rider. I have the most fun going around corners, and pure top end speed isn't important to me at all. Since the Monster came out I've always wanted to get one, and I think it's finally going to work out.

What would you recommend given my past riding experience, and the fact that I'm new to the Ducati brand? My budget is around $4500 so used is my only option. I live in California, and I read at ducatitech.com that "The Monster 600 (583cc) came to the US around 2000, but wasn't welcomed in the state of California". Are there any other model years like this that won't work for a California registration?

Any feedback you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#4 ·
Ok.  I know that was a little open-ended, so let me clarify a little.  I think I'm down to picking between a newish 620 or an older M900.  I know the bike will be as fast as the rider, but I'm a little concerned I'm going to miss the acceleration of my F2.   Do you think I should spend my money on a newer 620 for the reliability/refinements a new model gives, or spend it on an older 900 for the power increase?

Thoughts/personal attacks are all welcomed.  Thanks...

#5 ·
go with the 900. you will be dissapointed with the power of the smaller ones. Don't settle for less.

#7 ·
#8 ·
+1 on a carbed 900. Specifically try to look for one that has been cared for and has been upgraded to Keihin FCR flatslide carbs. That will save you about $800 on the only really important mod to these bikes to make them super easy to ride with precision. The stock carbs are OK (well, not really), but the FCRs give such crisp precise throttle repsonse its like night and day over the stockers.

For 93-94 900s, check whether the older type cylinder studs (prone to breakage) have been upgraded. Not a deal breaker, but one less thing to worry about if its been fixed.

#9 ·
Another vote for the older 900 carbie. They are also in your price range.

Doc

#11 ·
numbereleven said:
Thoughts/personal attacks are all welcomed.  Thanks...
+1 on the 900.

Or just wait till spring and get a used S2R 800 for about that price when the market becomes flooded with them with the release of the S2R 1000 (and no, mine won't be one of the ones for sale).

Now on that personal attack, can you California guys stop filming those bogus earthquakes and mudslides in Hollywood and show the rest of us the secret handshake so we can afford to buy a house out there and live where the riding and weather are perfect? Thanks!

#12 ·
Looks like the older 900 is winning hands down. I called about 2 of them yesterday--one here in SD, and one in Kansas, unfortunately both were already sold. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the info, guys. That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

FZMax said:
Now on that personal attack, can you California guys stop filming those bogus earthquakes and mudslides in Hollywood and show the rest of us the secret handshake so we can afford to buy a house out there and live where the riding and weather are perfect? Thanks!
If anyone learns that handshake, pass it on to me, too. The weather is awesome for riding practically year-round, but I still don't own a house here yet...

#13 ·
numbereleven said:
If anyone learns that handshake, pass it on to me, too.  The weather is awesome for riding practically year-round, but I still don't own a house here yet...
+1 on the older carbed M900. The perfect bike.

Hell, I'm a CA native, and there is no handshake. In fact, I'm bailing out of this state next year, in part because of the ridiculous housing costs.

philb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.